Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 17th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Rox - forever in my heart

infection from microchip?

I was wondering if anybody here had ever had a problem with their pet getting an infection after being microchipped?

The dog I adopted, has a bare spot (slightly larger than a quarter) on her back between her shoulders where it appears the top layers of skin have 'peeled' away. In the center is an oblong dark red lump, maybe twice as large as a grain of rice.

When we had her at the vet's last week, she thought it could be an infection from a microchip. She didn't seem overly concerned about it at the time. Of course, this is given that the pneumonia was our first priority.

Now however my dog (still nameless) has been on a double dose of antibiotics (Orbax) for the past week and prior to that she had received 3 Baytril injections while at the vet's. This has worked great for the pneumonia but I also expected to see some improvement on her back and there has been none at all. I might even say that the bare patch has grown but not the lump.

We contacted the rescue we got her from and they say that they did not microchip her and that it would have been the SPCA that microchipped her possibly sometime in April. That seems like long enough for it to have healed.