Old May 21st, 2012, 07:09 PM

preg

Hi, I have a 9 mth old 10-15 lbs female dog and she went into her first heat cycle around april 9-13 and at that time we were frosting a 8 mth old shepard/lab dog which I didnt think he would get at her but he did on april 13 and 17 and 20 this is rouhly day 37 to 41 days into her cycle and she belly is firm and nibbles swollen she has mood swings she dont really wanna eat any dog food at all I have tired 3 types of food she rather our kind food i am sooo trying not to but she will go all day with no food till i gives her something and i can get her to eat some wet dog food i am been giving her puppy food also n nope not often she drinks more and dont seem to wanna play alot at times no more and when she sits oh man cant u tell her nibbles r huge it looks to big sacks hangin and now 2 upper nibbles from the 2 bottom ones r really swellen now I am scared for her i had to a vet they say she is fine but on day 55 i can pay 500 and get a xray n blood done but i really dont have that kind of money right now so I am wondering what are the chances my Maggie Moo is Preg or not? Help with any infor at all Thank You
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm kind of old so it was very hard to read what you wrote. Once you reach a certain age trying to read things that have no punctuation and bad grammar gives you a head ache.

Ok.

So if I understand this - you have a 15 pound puppy that was bred 3 times by a much larger male dog. You are now concerned that your female might be pregnant but don't want to spend the money to find out for sure.

You should be scared for her! It is kind of like a 12 year old child having triplets.

We really can't tell you whether or not she is pregnant over the internet. She really does need to go to the vet. If she is not pregnant, she may well have pyrometria, which left untreated can be fatal.
Old May 21st, 2012, 09:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiemoo View Post
Hi, I have a 9 mth old 10-15 lbs female dog and she went into her first heat cycle around april 9-13 and at that time we were frosting a 8 mth old shepard/lab dog which I didnt think he would get at her but he did on april 13 and 17 and 20 this is rouhly day 37 to 41 days into her cycle and she belly is firm and nibbles swollen she has mood swings she dont really wanna eat any dog food at all I have tired 3 types of food she rather our kind food i am sooo trying not to but she will go all day with no food till i gives her something and i can get her to eat some wet dog food i am been giving her puppy food also n nope not often she drinks more and dont seem to wanna play alot at times no more and when she sits oh man cant u tell her nibbles r huge it looks to big sacks hangin and now 2 upper nibbles from the 2 bottom ones r really swellen now I am scared for her i had to a vet they say she is fine but on day 55 i can pay 500 and get a xray n blood done but i really dont have that kind of money right now so I am wondering what are the chances my Maggie Moo is Preg or not? Help with any infor at all Thank You
You need to find out if your dog is OK , she need to be eating and drinking water , she can't go with all day not eating if she is pregnant . I would have her fixed after she has her puppies as is sound like being pregnant does not agree with her.
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:58 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I would recommend putting some money aside for an emergency c-section in the likely event that these pups are too large for her to whelp naturally.
She really needs to have vet care at this point. Good luck
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:59 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Also, I'm quite curious as to why after the first time "he got her" they were able to get to each other 2 more times after that???
Old May 22nd, 2012, 04:47 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Erykah, you need to have the money for a c-section ready as a bitch her size could easily have trouble whelping normally, and if the vet was agreeable, do a spay at the same time. If your vet has already said she is fine then I will say that I have had two bitches that refused all food for days while they were pregnant and they were okay, BUT both had huge litters and I don't like the sound of yours having that 'firm' belly, she may also be having a big litter, or big pups. That may mean a risk of uterine inertia, everything gets stretched so much that they can't go into labour when the time comes, so if you have a date when she would whelp then keep a very good eye on her and don't let her go too far over before taking her to a vet. You could lose both pups and the bitch if she does need help and doesn't receive it. I commend you for fostering but this is bringing even more pups/dogs into this world that will need good forever homes, I hope you are up to finding them?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 06:15 AM
Senior Contributor

She needs to see a Vet and you need to scrape up whatever money you can to do it. Arrange a loan, sell something.

If she is pregnant but not too far along the Vet may be able to abort the puppies. As said, the chance they will be too big for her to deliver without complications is high. You might be taking a chance with her life if you don't have her examined.

Among other things I'm astounded that you were allowed to foster an intact dog when you have an entire female. If the foster was arranged through a shelter or rescue I think they should be on the hook for some of your own dog's fees for not doing their due diligence in placing the male dog in the first place. It's worth a try but you have other things to contend with now.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:52 AM
Senior Contributor

This whole thing is so sad and irresponsible. I truly hope you get your pup to a vet. She's far too tiny and young to whelp a litter of large puppies. Have her spayed as soon as possible. If you don't have the money ask your vet if they can offer a payment plan. Honestly, if you can't afford a vet trip, you can't afford to take care of your girl when she delivers or the puppies after. They will all need vet attention after birthing even if it all goes well. And puppy shots. It's such a terrible situation. Good luck to your little girl, she deserves more than this.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
Also, I'm quite curious as to why after the first time "he got her" they were able to get to each other 2 more times after that???
I was thinking this too. I agree that the dog should be spay as soon as possible. We really do not need to bring any more dogs into the world when there are so many dogs being put down because no one want them.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
This whole thing is so sad and irresponsible. I truly hope you get your pup to a vet. She's far too tiny and young to whelp a litter of large puppies. Have her spayed as soon as possible. If you don't have the money ask your vet if they can offer a payment plan. Honestly, if you can't afford a vet trip, you can't afford to take care of your girl when she delivers or the puppies after. They will all need vet attention after birthing even if it all goes well. And puppy shots. It's such a terrible situation. Good luck to your little girl, she deserves more than this.
Thank you! I wanted to say this too , but I am new here . I agree with you 100% . I know some people breed their dogs to try and made money on the puppies, I hope the OP is not planning on doing this. I think the mother dog will need help feeding the puppies , she may be too little to nurse big puppies.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:08 PM

Hi everyone I do have money aside in case of a c section just not the money for blood work n xrays at this time and the vet did say she was ok and keep a close eye on her which i am doing if i go anywhere she comes to and we only frosted one guy and at some point he and she mated she just dont want to eat any dog food no more but human food look out she feed on that no promblem Thank u for ur replys and my Maggie will be spayed after this said n done and I have everything on hand incase and I think i will need to help feeding the pups and already have home for the babies my family are giving him homes and i would never ever in my life time sell any type of pet i dont even like the word pet or cats or dogs i call them all babies and u wouldnt sell a baby so why sell a dog but i understand for breeders that do the vet and papers they need the money back that they spend also and time in taking care of them that is their job that they love dearly... i have another vet app today
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:17 PM
Senior Contributor

I am glad to hear that you will be taking her to the vet again today. I wish you both well with that. This is not a small undertaking. I am glad to hear that you will not be selling her pups for $$, but please do not advertise any pups for free in a newspaper. Free pups can bring out all kinds of creeps. Also, if possible, please ask all of your friends who get puppies to sign a contract stating that they will spay/neuter their pups by 6 months of age. You may not be able to enforce it, but it may help to encourage them to do it. It is critical to stop the cycle of unplanned births.
Old May 25th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Senior Contributor

Maggiemoo, any updates on your pup?