Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 30th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Agility Addict

Using Training Tools

Lately, I have been really shocked at how many dog owners are completely dependent on training tools. I used to be of the opinion that you do what works for you and yours so long as you are humane an evenhanded with your dog. But it just seems to me that very few people actually use training tools appropriately and often go to the most extreme tools first (chokes and prongs) instead of more positive methods. To be frank, the only way that I think training tools should be used is with a rescue who hasn't been properly trained/socialized, otherwise I think it is our responsibility to train our dogs right from the start.

Also, seeing as I have tried a few training tools myself, I honestly find that using a training tool is more work then training through the problem. I have a lot of friends who compete and really push the prong because it makes the dog more precise - well to me, if I have to force that precision, then it really isn't fun for my dog anymore.

Any thoughts? I would be interested to hear all opinions as it could be that I have overlooked something in forming mine!