Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Recipes for pets

Old April 30th, 2005, 10:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh no,I don't believe they contribute to it.But if the dog does have a problem they will definitely aggravate it.

The Yeast Cleanse for yeasty ears is made by Solaray,you can get it in most human health food stores.For foods to avoid with yeasty dogs and people you can do a search for candida and diet.
Old May 8th, 2005, 10:56 PM

Hi eveyone!

This discussion is so interesting, I feel like a kid at christmas! I do have a passion for dog nutrition and it is great to read you all! I'll know where to go when I have problems with my girls, lots of great advices here!!!

If I can add this Huggybear, the girls have been fed raw foods for months now and I am so pleased with it so far... And I know raw and fresh foods have proven very helpful in dogs with allergies. Since your dog has had the ear problem for a year, it might just take a while to clear up (???).

I give the girls about 1/3 soaked whole grains, 1/3 animal proteins (raw meat and organs, eggs, fish, ...) and 1/3 fruits and/or veggies, about 3 tablespoon oil (you can try salmon and flax seed for Omegas - reduces inflammation) and good mineral and vitamin supplement. Once used to prepare it, it is quite simple and dogs LOVE IT!!! Also, there is no additives or preservatives (I read that a 30 pounds dogs fed kibbles eats 9 pounds of these a year !)

Also, your dog's problems could be caused by a bad response to vaccines, that can occur weeks or months following the shots. Has he received any just prior the onset of symptoms?

Hoping you'll find something that works...
Old July 4th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Sorry it's taken so long to get back here. The raw food diet turned and went for the worse.Beef liver...doesnt go well.The raw chicken made her turn her nose up after a while.So unfortunatly she's on cooked chicken.Her ears have not changed at all even diong this diet along with the blue ear powder treatment.
We also tried her on allergy medicine for a few weeks with no change at all.
Actually she started chewing her feet again.
So , she goes in this friday for her ear swab, and all her shots.It's been 2 years since she got her vacine shots last.The vet let it slip one day that rabies shots are good for 3 years...so we let it slip also.I was curious to see if the shots were also causing the problems.
What I need to know is where and what should I get to add to her food.I was told enzimes and kelp and all this other vitamins and stuff.The only place I have seen it is at petsmart and it's 40 for 30 pills giving them 3 a day.
Thats too much.
Also found this interesting read today....theres alot to read....but it just goes to show the junk dry dog food really is.It disgusts me.
http://www.pcoc.net/dog-food.htm#What's%20Really%20in%20Pet%20Food
Old July 7th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Owned by goldens

You sound like you have tried almost everything to get those ears cleared up. My concern is that you have introduced so many different types of food that it will be impossible to figure out what the trigger is for the ear infections.
Since the raw food diet is not working I would suggest you get a good quality kibble such as Wellness Duck and Potato or Dick Van Patten's Duck and potato. Do not give anything else to her for a few months except maybe some duck and potato dog treats. I would then suggest that a sample of her ear guck goes to the lab to see what the infection is. It can then be treated properly. Has your vet been giving the same antibiotics all along? If so, she may need to change them as your dog has probably built up a resistance to this med.

Like Prin I also feed my dogs Solid Gold Wolf King and cannot say enough about this food. Ears are never dirty, always pink, teeth are white, stools are nice and their coats are absolutely gorgeous. You could also try this food as it contains bison and salmon.
Old July 12th, 2005, 10:15 PM

Well we got the results back from the lab.Finally after one full year of trying to treat this.It's a bacterial infection...not yeast.It's called pseudomonas aeruginosa . Really gross if you look it up.Anyway...the vet gave us the same old stuff from a year ago.Baytril otic , this time he gave us 30ml of it(double the last dose) I went back in and explained it didnt work before...he suggested that because there are only 3 things that can fight this infection, and we've tried them all...the lab suggested double the dose this time.Cause it did seem to almost work, then she ran out and couldnt get a refill for 3 days.
So...now at least I know what i'm fighting.It wasnt too bad..$80 for the swab and $65 for her yearly shots.
Will keep you posted.You mentioned Solid Gold Wolf King food...and good stools?
Isis stools are very tiny and hard with the chicken diet i've been feeding her.
I've researched almost all dog foods and then when I find one that sounds good and I consider to buy...it's never available here in Oshawa.
I'll have to check it out...if her stools are small then I know it's not full of fillers.

Last edited by huggybear; July 12th, 2005 at 10:19 PM.
Old July 13th, 2005, 02:32 PM

It takes a while for the stools to get back to normal on the solid gold. It's a whole bunch of different ingredients and even doing the changeover really slowly didn't help my babies. It took them about 4 months to be able to digest it really well. They were healthy and much shinier even in those 4 months, but the stool was huge and softer than I'd have like it to be.

As for the pseudomonas... You have a team trying to find out how to help you... http://www.pseudomonas.com/
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:14 PM

ear prob still

Well , here it is Jan 23 2006 and still no cure in site for our poor isis.We have tried every drop and every pill know to fix this bacteria....it just seem she is resistant to it all.It's costing us a fortune.I have decided to sit down and write a letter to our vet....actually all the vets at the clinic.She has been going there since a pup....and I'm gonna beg that they put thier heads together and try and help her.This is rediculous...that years later nothing is working.
Just thought I would keep you all posted.
If anyone know of a miracle cure....send it my way.
Old January 23rd, 2006, 02:47 PM

That's so sad. We'll keep all our fingers and paws crossed that they figure this out. Poor doggy. Thanks for sticking with him through all this. He's so lucky to have you.