Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old January 1st, 2009, 05:45 PM

Unhappy Chronic anal gland blockage

I have a 6 year old overweight spayed female that I have started taking to the vet for anal gland blockage. The first time was about 6 months ago and was not very bad but have since taken her twice in the last 3 months to get her anal glands drained. Once there was one bright red blood droplet next to the kitty litter box. There is another one I saw today and will call the vet in the morning. Once there was also mucous and a couple of bright red blood droplets. She had a severe gastrointestinal problem where she was bloated with gas and mucous jelly-like substance coming from here anus. She had diarrhea and was constipated too. The vet tested her stool for parasites which was negative. She put her on a antibiotic, I forget which one but that was only for when she had a severe case. The last time I brought her to the veterinarian was a month ago and the vet said she doesn't need antibiotics, just anal gland draining. She asked what and how I feed her and said it was too bad that I leave food down for all three of my cats all the time. This cat only eats dry food, such as science diet original, and the crunchy treats from the supermarket which I keep down all the time too. I feel I cannot forgo food for them and have special times to feed them. I am gone 10 hrs a day for work and live alone with my three cats. I keep fresh water, dry and wet food down all the time, changing the wet food 2 times a day. I don't understand why she is having problems all the time now when she has been the same weight for a few years (12.5 lbs). I try to check her anus for cleanliness but since the vet has been going in and squeezing her anal glands to relieve the blockage, she no longer lets me get close to that area. She is a sweet sensitive cat but scares easily now, more so than before. I think she needs more tests instead of going monthly to the vet for anal gland blockage. I am trying to cut back her dry food consumption. She drinks plenty of water but not excessive. She doesn't eat people food except once in a great while a lick of vanilla ice cream. She hasn't done that in quite awhile. Can anyone give me any advice or guidance? I do plan on calling the vet tomorrow to get her in again. Thanks in advance.
Old January 1st, 2009, 06:45 PM

I have a girl cat that has had problems with her anal glands in the past. She had constipation issues as well. Straining esxcessively when having a bowel movement, running back and forth to the litter box, licking herself more often, throwing up from straining real hard. In the past the vet I was taking her to would excrete her anal glands. She would go and see him for this close to every 3 months. I since have been taking her to a different vet b/c he supports the raw diet I am feeding her. She was having the same symptoms that she would have in the past and the old vet would say it was her anal glands. The new vet felt her anal glands and said he didn't think this was the problem b/c the glands were not overly swollen. He felt her abdomen and could feel alot of stool blockage. He put her under a light anasthesia, administered an anema, and proceeded to completely clean her out. He said that there was a huge blockage at the front of her anal opening. This was done to her a couple of weeks ago. She has been okay since and does not strain when going to the washroom. I don't know how long it will last but I know she is not in any discomfort right now. I am tweaking her diet to keep her stools softer and regular. I have also heard that a sign of constipation can be diarrhea as well. Have tou ever tried adding 100% pumpkin to your cats food? The new vet has also given her lactulose (a stool softner) to take for a while. I will continue using this until the new diet begins to kick...
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:01 AM

Khari,

Thank you so much for providing some information that I can use to help determine the cause of my cat's problem with anal glands. When I call the vet this morning I will ask that she sedate her and give her an enema because I do think it is more than just anal gland blockage. I worry about her most because she is overweight and does have problems reaching that area to clean. She also strains sometimes to go and once in awhile has diarrhea. I know it is very important to get this problem identified by the vet and am seriously thinking of switching to another local vet. Thanks again for the input. It is greatly appreciated!
Old January 2nd, 2009, 08:12 AM

I would suggest not to get an anema unless the vet warrants it. The procedure is pretty hard on the cats. I definately would bring up a blockage to the vet. She may want to feel your cats abdomen. It almost sounds to me like your vet is bent on the anal gland issue though. If you do not feel confident with the response then I would consider taking kitty to another vet. The new vet may rule that it is the anal glands and they may not. But atleast you will feel more confident with the diagnosis. Please let me know the progress with the vet....
Old January 2nd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Kitty pimp

get her on better food and cut out the dry find something she likes in wet if you cant find a wet she likes get some decent dry if you can find a store that sells merrick BG dry you can try that my amanda had the same prob;elm woth mucos on gain dry and DU always got constipated on dry

If its just anal glands i have heard of having them removed surgically too
Old January 2nd, 2009, 11:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My Jasper has been having issues with his anal glands and the vet is not sure how we're are going to approach it. They are getting chronically infected.

He is on a canned diet (Instinct) with some Orijen sprinkled on top for calories and one raw feeding per day.

He does not have diarrhea, or constipated, (very regular) so the vet is at a loss. I am going to try baby butternut sqash food as soon as I remember to buy some .

It would be interesting to share notes on this issue.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:12 AM
I gotz 2 babies now!

Hi! Dazys get blocked often and, not infected tho, but since Ive been preggers I can smell it often and it grosses me out. when I took her to the vets last time they said they could remove them, when I asked how common this was I was told its pretty common for reoccuring anal glad offendors to have them removed. I wonder if this is an option for kitties as well? I left without asking anymore details or cost but I think I might look into it further, if I can smell it - Im assuming there`s a chance the fluids could get on the floor, furniture, etc...

Pubert Wizzer Howell-Boyd III of the feline kind R.I.P my little guy!!

If you can't afford a vet, you can't afford a pet!

221/194/170(for next year)
Old January 3rd, 2009, 12:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Man, after reading so many thread on this I am so GRATEFUL Dracko has never had a problem with his anal glands. From being on here, though, I find myself checking out his butt often "just in case."

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:20 PM

Jim,

Thank you very much for the info. I know the supermarket treats are not good to have all the time, which I am working on less and less in their diets. Science Diet original is a good brand, that I am aware of. This one cat does not eat wet food at all. She ate a little when she was very young and am not sure why she stopped and only eats dry food. I will check out the brand you mentioned. I take her to the vet tomorrow morning and will ask the vet about certain foods I can try. I appreciate your response.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:26 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Girl View Post
Hi! Dazys get blocked often and, not infected tho, but since Ive been preggers I can smell it often and it grosses me out. when I took her to the vets last time they said they could remove them, when I asked how common this was I was told its pretty common for reoccuring anal glad offendors to have them removed. I wonder if this is an option for kitties as well? I left without asking anymore details or cost but I think I might look into it further, if I can smell it - Im assuming there`s a chance the fluids could get on the floor, furniture, etc...
The vet mentioned sedation and having some antibiotics inserted into them. He has never done a cat and is hesitant to try it as cat's glands are so much smaller than a dogs.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:27 PM

Khari,

Thank you. I agree that she shouldn't have an anema without the veterinarian's approval. I take her in the morning to see the vet and I will inquire about a blockage. The vet was feeling her stomach area before she drained her anal glands and she didn't seem to feel anything. If this happens again after she drains her anal glands tomorrow I plan on seeing another local vet to get a second opinion. The vet I see said that she sees many pets, dogs and cats, that require monthly anal gland draining. I still don't see why it happens monthly especially since it just started about 6 months ago and there has been no diet or weight changes. I care about my three little girls (cats) and I treat them as if they are my children. Thanks again for the reply.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Same here, patriciagrace. I haven't changed Jasper's diet, but in the last few months he has started with this problem. He is not overweight, he gets exercised daily (he zooms and climbs trees outside daily). He is on the best diet going, except to change to 100% raw.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 4th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Hi there Love4himies and Ford Girl. I will ask the vet tomorrow when I take my 6 yr old black & white female Sara about antibiotics inserted into rectum, as well as surgical removal of anal glands, if that is an option. I am not really sure what the anal glands do and why they keep getting blocked. There has to be a reason and I intend on finding out. I hate it when there is something wrong with my pets. They are like my children and I suffer when they suffer. Thank you.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:36 PM

Dracko,

You have older cats and be grateful they don't seem to have that particular problem.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Dracko,

Sorry, you only have one older, one middle aged and a few young ones.
Old January 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM

Love4himis,

I tried 100% pumpkin but no look trying it besides force feeding her which is impossible. I have deep scratches on my shoulder from when I tried to clean her one time when I first noticed her problem with diarrhea, drop of blood and white pus-like substance. She freaked out and lashed out good. Now that she has had the vet drain her anal glands three times (4 counting tomorrow), every time I try to see if she is okay down there she doesn't want me close to that area. I wish she liked wet food. I have to get some advice from the vet tomorrow as to trying to get my cat to eat differently without overly forcing it on her. I have to be careful now when I get my cat carrier ready. It has to be quietly and carefully opened and it can be dangerous for me to get her in head first. All class come out and splayed legged. She doesn't forget the uncomfortable pain of the vet going in to drain anal glands.
Old January 4th, 2009, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by patriciagrace56 View Post
Dracko,

You have older cats and be grateful they don't seem to have that particular problem.

I had 2 cats that I had to put down when they were 17 and 18 that I'd had their whole lives and never encountered this with them either. Like with my dog I am grateful. I'm almost scared to post in this thread for fear I'll jinx myself.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old January 5th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Good luck at the vets today.

As for changing your cat's food to wet, have you tried putting her kibble on top of a tiny bit of canned so she gets used to the smell, then slowly increasing the canned so there is only a sprinkle of kibble on top?

If you can't get your kitty to eat pumpkin, you can try slippery elm bark. It comes in capsules that you can open and sprinkle a tiny bit on her food.

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/s...elm-000274.htm

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old January 5th, 2009, 04:32 PM

Update on anal gland blockage

Hi Love4himies: I took Sara to the vet today and she wasn't as bad as usual. The right side seems to always be worse than the left side. The vet felt her tummy and didn't find anything unusual. I asked about special food which another cat forum member mention R/D and I was told it is very good. The kind the vet where I go has is by Hills who also makes the science diet so she might like it. It has more fiber in it but you cannot leave it down all the time which I do. I am going to try what you suggest and put the dry food on top of the wet for her and see if I can wean her a little bit off the dry. I will look into the slippery elm too but will research first.

Dracko, Thank you for replying in this thread. It must have been terrible to have to put down your older cats. When you had them since they were babies and had to put them down must be devastating. They were part of your family. That is how I treat mine. I take care of them the best I can and they bring me comfort and much love.