Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 25th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Senior Contributor

A question for Rottie owners

I hope I have this in the right part of the forum? I am curious to know whether cardiomyopathy is a problem in Rotties in Canada? My younger brother has just lost his 6th Rottie to it today. I can't tell you if they were related or not, or how old. I think my sister would like to see him go back to his first breed, English Setters, as those he had lived to the ripe old age of 16 or 17, but obviously he must love his Rotties to put hiimself through this sort of heartbreak over and over. She said his have always had lovely temperaments. So sad to see this happening in a breed.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Senior Contributor

I have had two rotts and they died due to cancer at young ages. I don't know about cardiomyopathy however. You may want to consult with Longblades. She may have some answers for you.
Old March 25th, 2011, 10:45 AM
chronically insane.

That is not something I am aware of is a problem in rotties. Hip dysplasia, arthritis (and other big dog diseases), cancer- specifically bone cancers (osteosarcomas) are the things I hear are most common in the breed. I've never heard of any heart problems.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:06 AM

Yes, and on the rise!
http://www.rottweiler.on.ca/health.html
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Senior Contributor

Alan's may have avoided the cancers, BenMax, only to live long enough to get cardio perhaps? I have this thought niggling at my brain that somewhere in the past I've read about cardio and Rotties, and most likely it would be way back when I had it appear in mother and daughter cattle dogs and was rsearching it a bit. Stopped the line the minute the first one got it, however she was already 11 when it was diagnosed. She lived, with care and med's to 14 . Probably worse in this Rottie though.
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldfields View Post
Alan's may have avoided the cancers, BenMax, only to live long enough to get cardio perhaps? I have this thought niggling at my brain that somewhere in the past I've read about cardio and Rotties, and most likely it would be way back when I had it appear in mother and daughter cattle dogs and was rsearching it a bit. Stopped the line the minute the first one got it, however she was already 11 when it was diagnosed. She lived, with care and med's to 14 . Probably worse in this Rottie though.
I can definately ask the breed specific rescue if they see this often. Mind you, most rotts that come into rescue are those that have been bred by questionable people and therefore may not give you an accurate account of rotts being bred by ethical breeders.
Old March 25th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Contributor

GF,I of course don't know much about it,but a former neighbor of mine had 2 Rotties,the older of the 2(6-7yrs)died of a heartattack or something like it, while they were both out in the backyard.
The younger Rottie tried to drag him back to the house,a very sad happening.
Old March 25th, 2011, 09:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh, that is so sad, isn't it? Very touching. Shows intelligence too.They must be lovely dogs.

This dog of Allan's didn't survive the stress of his trip to the vet, it had a heart attack too.I know one friend I should ask about this, and that's a Rottie owning friend who was a vet nurse for a long time, retired to be a farmer now.
I found this, but it's about American Rotties. Don't think the breeders/showies would want to disclose too much here either.

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/hea...ttweilers.html