Old February 5th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Garden nut

Fur farms

Ugh, this is terrible.

Don't watch if you can't handle gore.

http://furisdead.com/feat/chinesefurfarms/
Sandy Belle Sheeba - born 11/14/07 at 12:30 pm Linx Jasper
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:09 PM

I've seen this before....I think it was PETA that first brought light to it some time ago. I don't know how people could handle doing that, I can hardly handle skinning a LONG dead chicken for my dog!

I wear fur and leather, but only from animals that are also used for meat. I am under the impression that Llamas, sheep, pigs, and cattle are never killed just for their fur or leather...?
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie
Old February 5th, 2008, 10:23 PM
Senior Contributor

no way am I going to open that. My mind is horrified already

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaykeija View Post
no way am I going to open that. My mind is horrified already
You should watch it though. Everyone should. It's disgusting, and people need to know that this is happening.
--------------------
Old February 6th, 2008, 12:47 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Very disgusting, I don't have any fur, and don't think I can look at fur the same way ever again.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 6th, 2008, 01:09 PM
Swift Tribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myka View Post
You should watch it though. Everyone should. It's disgusting, and people need to know that this is happening.
there are terrible disgusting things happening everywhere, in all ways. to demonize the entire fur industry for a few terrible people and their inhumanity is only propaganda. there are very small groups of people who feel this is an acceptable practice. they are all shunned (naturally) by the vast majority of people who find this to be inhumane because if the implications those actions would have in relevance to each other.

i feel there is NO reason under the sun to torture yourself with the animal cruelty actions as shown in those videos.

just remember folks, there are entire nations of people who rely on fur trade to make money, keep warm and they do it reasonably. if PETA had their way we all be vegetarians because animals should be free, not eaten.

if you want to rally against something really cruel, eat only free range chickens and their eggs. there are far far far more chickens in horribly inhumane situations.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old February 6th, 2008, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
there are terrible disgusting things happening everywhere, in all ways. to demonize the entire fur industry for a few terrible people and their inhumanity is only propaganda. there are very small groups of people who feel this is an acceptable practice. they are all shunned (naturally) by the vast majority of people who find this to be inhumane because if the implications those actions would have in relevance to each other.

i feel there is NO reason under the sun to torture yourself with the animal cruelty actions as shown in those videos.

just remember folks, there are entire nations of people who rely on fur trade to make money, keep warm and they do it reasonably. if PETA had their way we all be vegetarians because animals should be free, not eaten.

if you want to rally against something really cruel, eat only free range chickens and their eggs. there are far far far more chickens in horribly inhumane situations.

-ashley
Well Said Ashley, and I don't usually say that. The fact that can do our part in the hopes that one day animal cruelty will be a thing of the past. You, can not stop what has been going on for generations, but you can not support it and by not buying fur, chickens that were in battery cages, and so on we are doing it, One voice at a time.

ACO22
Old February 6th, 2008, 05:30 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by want4rain View Post
just remember folks, there are entire nations of people who rely on fur trade to make money, keep warm and they do it reasonably.
-ashley

I'm sorry if you don't agree with me, but I find this a very poor excuse!!
There are many jobs out there if you look, and if there aren't any in your area, then maybe it's about time you move!

I don't care what anyone says, I would never, under any cirsumstance do this for a living!! There are SO many other jobs these people could be doing, I would scrub toilets, floors, bedpans, I would clean vomit, flip burgers. Anything and everything before I would EVER do that It wouldn't even be an option.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:18 PM
Swift Tribe

no i dont mean MY locality, in any shape, way or form relies on the fur trade or using furs but lets look at leather, north america consumes millions of cows a year... to discard the skins/furs? i come from a county (born there anyway) that has a heavy native american population. they kill and eat bear, deer and many other wild animals. to say that we should boycott their animal furs is silly. im not saying these videos dont show hideous actions or that you shouldnt find them as inhumane actions but exactly what good will it do to view them? i certainly didnt say go out and.... do whatever is in those videos. but what good will it do to boycott animal furs that woudl otherwise be discarded, wasted, that HAVE been gathered humanely (ie after they are dead, after a life that is natural or humane).

think before you make a purchase. any purchase. think about how much packaging is on it, what country it comes from and whether you support their marketing scheme, the composition of your purchase and whether you can purchase the same thing locally to support your local economy. turn your eyes to your own locality, assess its actions and take a stand there. i simply dont see any purpose in torturing yourself with practices from half way around the world that are probably as unlikely(although still happening) there as they are here.

-ashley

Swift Tribe-
Chris- Husband, 04/30/77
Cailyn- Daughter, 07/05/99
Jeffrey- Son, 03/24/06
Alex- Son, 03/25/09
Mister- Black LabX, M, 08/06(?)
The Shadow Stalker- Gray Tux DSH, M, 04/04
The Mighty Hunter- Black Tux DSH, M, 04/04
Baby Girl- Tabby DMH, F, 12/03(?)
Frances- Tortie, DSH, F, 2007(?)
Old February 6th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I didn't look at the video, I couldn't, I have seen enough of them. including mink ranches in the US, where many were skinned alive :sad:

Animal abuse is world wide. Although I know many countries have no regard whatsoever for animals, I don't even think they see them as living breathing creatures. They are viewed as "things" to be used, abused, exploited, eaten, butchered in any way they see fit.

I agree with you, that people need to make more educated choices when making purchases, and if they don't agree with the horrid abuse of animals and people alike, in certain countries then they shouldn't purchase things made in these countries. Although it's getting harder and harder to find merchandise that isn't made there!

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 7th, 2008, 12:36 AM

I have watched every single one of those disgusting videos I can find. It puts me off meat for awhile, which isn't bad really. I like to know what's going on in the meat/fur industries, but in all honesty I think there is more animal abuse at the hands of general society than there is at these big farms. Many people inhumanely "train" their animals/pets. I've been in the show horse industry for a couple decades...you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that people do to get their horses to do what they want. I could go on for a LONG time just in the horse industry....then the dog training, or just general dog keeping...oh, how about those stupid teens that microwaved that cat?

...it's a sick world we live in.
--------------------
Old February 7th, 2008, 06:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Hands down, the number one biggest abuse of animals in the entire world comes from animal agriculture and factory farming, right here in North America. Nothing else even comes close. http://www.farmsanctuary.org/issues/factoryfarming/

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 8th, 2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Hands down, the number one biggest abuse of animals in the entire world comes from animal agriculture and factory farming, right here in North America. Nothing else even comes close. http://www.farmsanctuary.org/issues/factoryfarming/
That's debatable. Most countries don't have organizations to investigate cruelty. We may be responsible for many of the horrors of the world, but at least we're working on resolving these issues.

I don't like blanket statements that can be misinterpreted. Many food animals are kept in deplorable conditions and are treated inhumanely, but many are not.

Unfortunately there is going to be cruelty for as long as we eat and use animals.