Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 21st, 2009, 11:40 AM

Aggression in newly adopted dog..Help!!!

Things were pretty good when we met with the dog at the rescue. Our dog and the rescue got along fine. The rescue dog submitted to my dog when they met. The rescue dog has now been at my home for 36 hours. He has been aggressive with my dog a total of 14 times since then. I figured there would be some adjustments as they both try to establish heirarchy and the rescue is adjusting again to a new home. The rescue dog concerns me a little because they will be getting along fine and playing, then all of the sudden for no apparent reason he comes up to my dog, growls and will bite his face. It's not an open mouth playful growl and grabbing the jowls. It's an agressive growl and then a snap on his face. There were 2 incidents where my dog was just lying on his bed minding his own business and he came up and growled at him. I stopped it before it esculated further. He is also running in the house from the backyard before my dog and then blocking the door and growling. Again, I have been correcting him on that, but he's still doing this. I have called the rescue and they told me that is normal and I have to be firmer and be the pack leader. They told me that he was in 3 different foster homes with a different and there was no aggression at all. I think something was going on because the dog has scars all over his face that look like bite marks. He also has them on his ears. I was told to put the dog on his back if he keeps acting in this way, and to keep at it for the next week. I have had to put the rescue dog on his back 6 times now. He is still growling at my dog. My dog is now afraid to move around anywhere this dog is. I called the rescue again, and they keep just telling me that it's me and I have to let them sort it out. I'm concerned about when I have to go back to work in a week and nobody will be here. I am genuinely worried that he may hurt my dog. Is this behaviour normal when introducing another dog? Is the rescue right and this is my fault? I'm also worried about how my relationship with the rescue will be if I'm constantly having to correct him and dominate him when he still doesn't know or trust me. I'm worried that the rescue won't take him back if this persists. We paid $400 for him yesterday. They told us that we wouldn't get our money back. I'm really upset, mostly because I really like this dog and wanted it to work. I really want to do what is best for the dog. I also don't want to degrade my dogs life either and have him living in fear. I'm also upset because we are not wealthy, and all we wanted to do was find a companion for our dog and save another dogs life in the process. I have to say this whole rescue journey has been exhausting. Can someone please offer some suggestions? Should I continue to do what was suggested by the rescue, or is it better to try to return him now before he/we get too attached? Is this fair to my other dog?

Some backgorund that may help...
Both dogs are male. My dogs is 2.5 yrs and have had him since 12 weeks. He was neutered at 6 months. Rescue dog is 1.5-2 yrs (estimate) he was just neutered. He was stray from Ohio. he has had no training, doesn't even know sit. He is stand offish with people. My dog is a golden retriever X, rescue is a chocolate lab (we were told he was probably pure). He is very short and stocky with a very large head, wide jaws...looks like he may be crossed with something (maybe pit bull). My dog is 65-70 lbs. Rescue is approx 60lbs.
Old July 21st, 2009, 11:54 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Just my Yes the dogs need to establish a heirachy, but YOU and all the humans in the household have to be on the top of it!
The rescue and the original dog need to know YOU are the boss, and you need to address the unwanted behaviour and agressiveness.

In most cases it's not without warning, you have to be able to read a dogs body language, and stop it before it gets aggreassive, sometimes it's very subtle but once you recognize it, you can address, before it escalates.

lots of walks with both, are so important and would really help make both feel like they are part of your pack, and will help the adjustment process.

good luck, and keep us posted

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:11 PM

Thanks Happycats. I have been very firm with both of them. I have been able to stop it from escalating because I'm here, but do you think I should have concern when I'm not here in a week? Do you think a week will be suffiecent time to correct this?
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:18 PM

I dont think a week from now is long enough to trust them alone together, even if they seem to be getting along by then. I would seperate them while your gone, for at least a few weeks until you are positive the issue has been worked out, just to be safe, ya know?
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:34 PM

Have to agree with allfurlove, I wouldn't leave them alone unsupervised for quite a while yet. But you do have to be Alpha at all times and I'm sure the new rescue will settle down with training classes and the NILIF should help a great deal too. Both neutered so I'm sure the new dog just wants to make sure he won't be ousted by your dog.
Old July 21st, 2009, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Gossoqueen,

So sorry to hear about your challanges with your new dog, but I just want to say GOOD FOR YOU for adopting a rescue and giving him a loving home.

I also want to add that a dog will behave VERY differently in a shelter, than it will in your home. Often people are quite astounded by the change in behavior as soon as they walk the dog through the doors. The fact that this dog has been in three previously adopted homes, truly does concern me. Not only because it's clear he has displayed poor behavior that other families did not want to deal with (as was their responsibility) but it also is very hard on a dog. I doubt he's ever had the opportunity to bond with a family, seeing as how he is still so young and been bumped from home to home.

The first thing I would do with your new addition is to stop giving him the run of the house if at all possible. When a dog is insecure and new to a home, it's much easier on them to only have the ability to explore a few rooms for a while. I know you have another dog who is allowed to be everywhere else, but is it possible for you to keep part of the house 'off limits' to the new comer?
I also agree with the others - it's imperative to seperate your dogs when you cannot supervise them.

The second thing I would suggest is to find a good behaviorist in your area that can meet both dogs and assess the situation properly for you in your own home. It would be worth the money spent, let me assure you. It's hard to say whether or not the rescue dog is being 'aggressive' or just displaying dominance. Sometimes dogs who have never been properly socialized have "issues" with socialization and trouble expressing it. A proffessional will be able to help you pinpoint your rescues behavior and tell you if this is aggression or not; and if it is - he'll be able to give you much better tools to deal with it than pinning your dog on his back.

I'm sure others will have more thoughts for you on this. Good luck! Keep us posted on his progress.

Bailey (Labradoodle)
Tippy (Collie/ShepX)
Vali (American Bulldog)
Artiro (Cane Corso)
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM
Senior Contributor

While I'm not an expert, I would say that this dog's behaviour stems more from insecurity than from "dominance". A good offence is the best defense, after all. I don't agree with the advice from the rescue to alpha-roll the dog, my feeling is that it's only going to make him more insecure and won't do anything to improve the relationship with your other dog. For sure you should be working on his obedience, which will actually help boost his confidence. Also, here is a link on dog communication that you migh find useful: http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/dog-communication

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old July 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Doggie Wench

I have to agree with sugarcatmom. We've had dogs come into our home and behave identically to yours...first signs are usually seen within 2-3 days. It can be worked with if you're committed.

And I completely disagree with the rescue's recommendation that you roll and pin your dog. Very irresponsible of them , especially not knowing his history (what's his name btw? I hate referring to him as the dog).

When he bites your other dog on the muzzle, does he draw blood? I suggest that you leave a short lead on him (you can cut an old leash), approximately 1 - 1 1/2 feet long. Every time he reacts to your dog inappropriately, simply say "eh!" and calmly remove him from the room, and leave him to himself for 15 minutes or so. Do not baby nor coddle your first dog...do not play favorites...treat them equally for now.

If you have little experience, I would also recommend consulting a veterinary behaviorist. If you like, you can state a large city near you and we can help you find one.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 09:09 AM

Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions! I knew I could come here and get the answers I needed.

I have been working with them and setting boundaries for both of the dogs. I'm happy to say they are making leaps and bounds in progress. They were sleeping together this morning. Our new (rescue) dog was actually cleaning our other dog. The snapping has deceased for now. There is some growling still, but as soon as I tell them to stop, it's diffused and they lay down.

Sorry, I didn't release the name of the rescue dog, and referred to him as such.....I didn't want to offend the rescue, if they happened to be reading this.

I will post pictures and their names once the dust settles.
Old July 22nd, 2009, 03:02 PM
Senior Contributor

Glad to hear that things are improving somewhat. That said, I would still not leave the dogs alone together when you go back to work. I think you really have to be certain that it's all in place before you do that. Because the dog now respects you does not mean he will behave that way to your older dog when nobody is there - please use caution. Keep up the good work and thanks for rescuing.
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Thanks! I will keep them seperated once I return to work. There has been virtually no aggression in the past coupld of days. Jackson (rescue), does growl at Winston very rarely, but it's usually because he has a toy that he doesn't want him to take or he's trying to sleep. I noticed Jackson paws at the door when he's closed in a room. Any suggestions on how to keep them seperated without making him to anxious? I do have a large crate that I used for Winston,, that he doesn't use anymore. I haven't taken it out yet, because the rescue told me whatever I do...don't crate him, because he doesn't like it and freaks out.
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:49 PM
Senior Contributor

If your Winston is crate trained, you could crate him while you are gone. Or confine him to a room if he is ok with it.

Honest - he will not hold it against you.