Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a dog - listings

Old January 20th, 2005, 01:28 AM

Anyone ever adopt a rescued pug?

In about 6 months I'll be in the position to adopt. Yay! I currently have two kitties and will be on the look out for two dogs. One of which will be a pug and the other a big'ol shelter dog. Mostly likely an older mushy pot.

I've heard it can take some time to find a rescued pug. I'm curious how long it took some people. I'm a regular volunteer at my local SPCA, but I've only seen 3 pugs in the 2 years I've been voluteering. I'm wondering if I should fill out some application forms now even though we won't be in a house for 6 months???

Has anyone had experience with this or can give me some advice? Or recommed a pug rescue in BC?

I've contacted Giovanna of Carrapet Pugs in Kelowna. Has anyone heard anything about her?

TIA!!
Old January 20th, 2005, 10:44 AM
Senior Contributor

First of good for you adopting all these great kids. I have heard Pugs don't show up a lot if I were you I would fill out applications now because they will probably have a few others waiting. I don't now any rescues out in BC but I am sure that one of the members here will have some contacts for you. I love those big ol mushy dogs. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:13 PM

I contacted Seattle pug rescue about adopting out pugs to BC residents. Cross my fingers that they do! I'm waiting for a reply.

I received an e-mail from Giovanna of Carrapett Pugs in Kelowna. She said she currently has two females 6 & 7 week olds that she bought from a non-registered breeder. She said she tries to buy as many females from non-reg breeders, spay them, get them up to date with shots and the find homes for them. She does this to prevent pugs from endeding up in puppy mills. So in a way, they are rescues. But not what I'm looking for. Plus, puppies will go quick. I want an adult. She charges $1500 for pups! Yikes! A lot to pay. I guess some will.
Old January 21st, 2005, 11:10 AM
Senior Contributor

Fred what she is doing does have good points but basically I would not call her a rescue she is obviously making good money off these pups. The other issue they are from a puppy mill or byb and they may have serious health issues as they grow. So if you were going to spend that much money I would find a reputable breeder who will give you a health guarantee because that is what a ckc registered health guaranteed pug would sell for. Check this cutie black pug out I dont know how close you are but might be worth the drive for this young boy.
http://www.petfinder.com/pet.cgi?act...=0&tmpl=&stat=
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:40 PM

What a little cutie! Unfortunately, I'm not ready to adopt yet. I'm just getting my feelers out there. I have no problem driving somewhere in WA to adopt a pug. When I'm ready I'll let you all know. Thanks again for posting that little guy.
Old January 21st, 2005, 01:20 PM
Senior Contributor

No problem just post and let us know when you are ready and we will hopefully be able to find a dog for you.
Old February 15th, 2005, 12:37 PM

Nearly 3 years ago we adopted a pug through the help of pug rescue in washington state. This is the site she developed, but it looks like she might not have updated it in a while. http://www.reachone.com/bostonlady/rescue1-2.html

This super lady but me in contact with a foster mother involved with pug rescue in Seattle, who had been fostering our Mike for the past 8 months. He was 5/6 years old at the time and had been in a puppy mill previously.

It takes a bit of doing, but there is a network there to find these wonderful dogs loving homes. Best of luck!

This is our Mike.
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred04 View Post
In about 6 months I'll be in the position to adopt. Yay! I currently have two kitties and will be on the look out for two dogs. One of which will be a pug and the other a big'ol shelter dog. Mostly likely an older mushy pot.

I've heard it can take some time to find a rescued pug. I'm curious how long it took some people. I'm a regular volunteer at my local SPCA, but I've only seen 3 pugs in the 2 years I've been voluteering. I'm wondering if I should fill out some application forms now even though we won't be in a house for 6 months???

Has anyone had experience with this or can give me some advice? Or recommed a pug rescue in BC?

I've contacted Giovanna of Carrapet Pugs in Kelowna. Has anyone heard anything about her?

TIA!!
I really wanted a rescue pug but couldn't get one in BC. There just weren't any when I wanted one.(lots of pug lovers in BC!!) I looked up Seattle rescue pugs and there were lots of pugs who needed homes. I adopted a little old fellow who lived for two years. It was a wonderful experience. I have since adopted another pug, also from Seattle and she is a little old lady, blind and deaf but adorable. There are pugs of all ages and they are all adorable. I know it's a long way to go to get your pug but it's well worth the trip. The women who run the rescue are dedicated pug lovers and amazing people.
Anyway, just a suggestion
Old October 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Lol.. This post is from 2005.. I think sh's proably found her dogs by now .lol
Jasper - White cat

R.I.P Casey #1.
Gone but never ever forgotten.