Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old December 8th, 2011, 09:10 AM

Exclamation 6 month old cat drooling 48 hrs after spay

Hi, on Monday morning I had my cat, Binx spayed. Shes 6 months old and 6 lbs. I dropped her off at 730am and picked her up at 330pm. They said the surgery went well but "she didn't like the medicine used to calm her" they didn't say what they meant and I didn't think to ask. I just figured she HATES the vet, she use to be fine but the last 2 visits before the spay she has went ballistic with the new vet They told me they don't normally give pain medicine for spays but to give her 0.18cc of bupenephrine at 830 that night and every 12 hours after that. At first, I gave it to her but she was so sedated and was drooling all the time and it made her smell HORRIBLE, I called the vet and they said to stop giving it to her. It's been over 24 hours since her last dose and she's back to her normal self BUT she started drooling again a few hours after I tried to feed her (she barely ate) she's going to the litter box fine, acts normal, eats and drinks okay except for that one time (she has ate once since then and ate all of it) I'm not giving her large amounts of food so I'm not sure what to think Her incision looks fine, no swelling, redness, odor or discharge. Could it possibly be from the incubation tube used during surgery just causing a sore throat? She does sound a little raspy when she meows. She has licked her incision but I stopped her and fed her right after (this was the time she didn't eat much) she started drooling an hour later. Could licking the incision have something to do with it? She keeps licking her lips like shes keeping the drool in her mouth. She doesn't smell bad anymore, I still plan on calling the vet in the morning since its 11pm here and the clinic isn't open. My mom owns dogs and cats and none of them have had any problems from being spayed and didnt get any pain medicine after. Anybody have something similar happened or have any ideas? Thanks

Last edited by Binkybinky; December 8th, 2011 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Update
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:06 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Good Morning

It almost sounds like she has a tooth problem. That would make them not want to eat and possibly drool. Did they give you a cone for her to wear so that she doesnt lick the incision? I wonder if there is something on the incision she is licking that tastes bad?

Have you called the vet to ask about the drooling?
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:15 AM

I did cone her for 5 minutes and then took it off to try and feed her and she hasnt went back for it thankfully! I called the vet yesterday to tell them about the medicine and about her drooling while on it and they just said if she's still acting funny in the morning to bring her back. Its just been over 24 hours since her last dose but I dont think it'd be in her system that long Im still calling in the morning but I'm dreading them asking me to bring her in just because she gets so stressed out and fights the vets and they get rough they didn't take the catheter out before she woke up from surgery and did it before sending her home which took 3 grown men holding her down and honestly they were very rough on her considering she just got spayed. I can't really switch vets because I live on a military base in Japan and don't speak Japanese so it makes it complicated
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:23 AM

And now that you mention it she has always seemed to struggle to hold food in her mouth. She drops it a lot! She has dry food but never eats it, if she does I find chewed up pieces in the bowl. I notice it but my husband tells me I'm just paranoid because I'm studying to be a vet tech so I haven't brought it up cause I don't want to look stupid. But would it wait til after surgery to make her drool all the time when she never did before? Worth a shot to bring it up when I call tomorrow but they'll want to see her and I doubt they'll want to examine her teeth lol seeing as she bites them if they touch her
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Mom of 3 precious Angels

Has the drooling stopped now?

I would ditch the dry food anyway and just feed her soft food. I am not sure what brands you have in Japan but try to look for a good quality food.

I dont know if you want to do it right now since she is recovering from her spay but if the drooling persists I would take her in. Some vets can give you something to work as a bit of a sedative but I am not sure if your vet does this. I have an older kitty and she will fight the vets too. About a year ago they tried to draw blood and she fought them tooth and nail a(she is only 6 pounds) but they couldnt do the test until they gave her some gas to put her out for a short time. Maybe the vet can do this so he can get a good examination of her teeth?

Good Luck

We would love to see some pics of your kitty if you feel like sharing them with us!
Sophie Aug 30, 2011

"UNTIL ONE HAS LOVED AN ANIMAL, PART OF THEIR SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
-Unknown
Old December 8th, 2011, 10:49 AM

She isn't drooling right now. But I give her canned food but leave dry food out in case I'm not home or whatever and she gets hungry (before the surgery, don't want her alone right now) Hopefully they'll look into her chewing problem after a few weeks to let her recover from anesthesia this round, poor baby I'll upload a few pictures in the morning, she's a beautiful tortie
Old December 8th, 2011, 11:32 PM

I took her to the vet today, and they gave her a shot and gave me 2 tablets of prednisone and told me to give her half of one tomorrow, and the other half the day after. If shes still drooling then give her the other 2 halves over a few days apart and that should clear it up. Fingers crossed it works! Tried to upload the best pictures I could find of her to show off her cuteness and her beautiful coloring! She has a golden mustache!!

Edit: The first picture is from when she was 6 weeks old, the 2nd was taken when she was maybe 4 months old and the last was when she was 3 months. She is a MONSTER cat, very big and very loving! (at least with me she is!)
Old December 9th, 2011, 03:55 AM

It's so nice to see cats with harnesses... Everyone around here thinks I am nuts for putting my cat on a harness/leash, but the SPCA (who helped me pay to spay her) said they wished there were more people like me.

I hope you get it figured out as to why she is drooling/having trouble eating hard food!

Wish you the best of luck!
Old December 9th, 2011, 01:54 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

My first thought was the tube used during surgery.

Love the harness!!!! All my cats, except Rose, of course, are harnessed trained. They are now allowed outside without one (supervised at all times), as they have been trained to where they are allowed to go.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 10th, 2011, 02:49 AM

I tried to put a collar on her when she was younger but she hated the bell and she isn't a fan of the kennel so when we leave the house she gets her harness, a leash and a fuzzy red blanket. They wrapped her in her blanket when she was recovering from surgery, poor baby I called and asked if the tube would cause the drooling but they just said it would cause a sore throat but not the drooling. Still no idea why shes drooling so bad She refused to eat her food today and my teacher (a vet) recommended giving her some baby food so I mixed her pill in it and shes eating it so waiting til Monday when the clinic opens again to take her back up there and see if they'll look in her mouth and see if theres anything going on
Old December 10th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

What pill are you giving her? If it's an antibiotic, it can cause nauseous and stop her from eating. Did they do a blood panel before surgery?

Yes, drooling can be caused by a sore throat, it can also be caused from pain in the mouth, rotten teeth, abscesses, etc. I've experienced both in my cats and both drooled.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old December 10th, 2011, 09:17 AM

Prednisone, they did bloodwork before surgery but didn't tell me there was anything wrong. I told my husband that if she isn't better by Monday I'm taking her to a brand new vet I keep hearing good things about so hopefully he'll be able to tell me something
Old December 11th, 2011, 12:17 AM

Managed to give her the medicine again and she drooled a tiny bit but she is now back to herself completely!! I keep checking her mouth and nothing! I'm so relieved!!
Old December 11th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Yay! It really could have been the tube. Are you going to be weaning her off the Pred. now?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 11th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Willing cat servant

As I was reading the thread I'm so glad now she's recovering. That was weird but it's good she's fine
On a side note...
She's absolutely ADORABLE! I want to catnap her I love torties
Old December 12th, 2011, 12:13 AM

Still no drooling! I think I might go ahead and finish the prednisone since she only has 2 more pills left, just so we don't chance it coming back.

If you catnap her, I promise you would bring her back the next day lol! She is VERY noisy! I've never had a tortie before her, never even seen one before her. She was born all black with just a copper spot on her head and she was the only kitten in the litter, maybe thats why shes so mean She wakes us up every day by meowing at us non stop and you can't get her to knock it off and I think she has seperation anxiety cause if you leave her alone she cries for awhile so I try not to leave her alone too long (what can I say? I'm wrapped around her paw!)
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:20 AM

Just wanted to share some pictures of her today, the first one is before surgery (she likes to hang out in my cabinets) and shes showing off her soft paws

Old December 12th, 2011, 07:42 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Not sure if your vet told you, but pred should be weaned off slowly, never stopped abruptly like other pills. If you only have two left, you may want to cut them in half and decrease the dose.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 12th, 2011, 07:43 AM

He didn't mention it at all, but thank you I'll do that tonight
Old December 12th, 2011, 07:45 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Here's a link:

http://drugs.emedtv.com/prednisone/w...rednisone.html

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 12th, 2011, 07:47 AM

Btw: It was 2 5mg pills just cut in half and said for the first 2 days 1/2 a pill every 24 hours and then after that half a pill every other day until gone. Should I cut them in half again or should I just leave them like that?

Last edited by Binkybinky; December 12th, 2011 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Didn't sound right
Old December 12th, 2011, 08:16 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binkybinky View Post
Btw: It was 2 5mg pills just cut in half and said for the first 2 days 1/2 a pill every 24 hours and then after that half a pill every other day until gone. Should I cut them in half again or should I just leave them like that?
Nope, the prescription is weaning her off properly.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old December 12th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Okay thank you

Tags
drooling after spay