Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 16th, 2011, 09:56 AM
Senior Contributor

Jarrah's such a good girl.

Jarrah has been having some new experiences and I just have to say I am very pleased with her. Coming as a 2 year old out of a backyard I wouldn't expect her to be good with livestock, however I decided to take her along when putting my bottle fed lambs away and she merely acted happy to be with them, not excited, then when I introduced her to our pony stallion all she did was lick him on the nose. Wanted to lick my ewes on the nose too when she met them through a gate, which is pretty good for a cattle dog, Perkins for instance would always have tried to nip.
Her latest job is helping us calm down a friend's very reactive GSD. He was put in a boarding kennel as a youngish pup and after days of dogs barking at him is not prepared to trust any bar her little Shih Tzu. He was so wound up he didn't even realise Jarrah is a female close to being in season, he would just continuously lunge and bark at her. They've had only 3 meetings and while he still lapses back into attack mode occassionally my friend has got him focusing on her very well due to daily training and I think Jarrah's unflappable behaviour is working its magic too. He is much more relaxed for the majority of their get togethers. Doesn't matter what he throws at her, Jarrah just wants to play, or she ignores him. We had a nice quiet walk down the road today, no nonsense. He's a lovely boy, I think we'd adopt him if she ever decided she didn't want him.
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:16 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

She's sounds like a real gem, GF! We need pics of her licking noses, pls.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 16th, 2011, 10:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I'll try, but don't hold your breath. LOL. She's shaping up as the perfect dog for us, except for her flat out zoomies and not knowing quite what she wants to do to my Persian cat. She might want to lick it too. (I wish!)
Old November 16th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Senior Contributor

She sounds delightful. I'm so glad things are working out well with her around the other animals.
Old November 16th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Senior Contributor

It's a relief, DD. Every animal here deserves a quiet life. If she'd been mad keen to bite stock I had a friend very keen to have her (another suburban backyard home), but no way known, we'd have coped somehow, but so easy this way, with her wanting to be friends with or mother every animal she meets.
Old November 17th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Here's our girl seeing eye to eye with my stallion, Digby, our old bay mare, and finally the sheep. She was very funny actually, it was like, "Oi! I've seen these before, show me something new", not that interested.
Attached Images