Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 21st, 2005, 07:05 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog food change made the difference

Friends of ours have a black lab. She has many allergies and her fur was in terrible condition. After doing much research on dog foods etc... in the last few months I recommended that they try Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance, Duck and Potato food and add Omega 3 fish oil daily.
It took a few months (probably about 4) but her fur is now beautiful and she looks so healthy. I noticed today that she wasn't eating her paws either.
Food can really make a difference.
Old August 21st, 2005, 09:13 PM
<-----nut ball

Same here! We tried Odin on DVP duck and potato as well. We did it about 2 months ago. We tried all the allergy foods out there and saw no change. We were wary about the duck, thinking that because it's poultry, he might be allergic. But what a difference now. I just noticed this weekend how soft his coat is already. And he barely chews his legs or paws anymore. And his skin isn't red anymore. Even his face wrinkles don't get as dirty or red! We are so happy. Plus, they have a wet version of the same food, and treats so we don't have to worry about screwing up his diet!
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:51 PM

Yey food changes!! Jemma chews her paws much less now on the Wolf King. She still gets some itchiness from ragweed, but not nearly as much as before.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:55 AM
Senior Contributor

Changed again

I have had my labX Halo on DVP duck and potato for a few months now, also having been worried about the duck/poultry issue as Halo is definitely allergic to poultry. Over the past few weeks her tummy rash became much worse and I don't know if it was just the food or the heat or what, but we just switched her off DVP and onto AvoDerm vegetarian. I'm hoping it's not my imagination, but I think the skin around her eyes already looks less flaky (it's only been four days). Allergies suck! Cactus Flower suggested the AvoDerm and it's been hard to convince BF not to feed Halo any meat from the table (I keep a bowl of cooked carrots - as she doesn't like them raw) for him to treat her with. Did CactusFlower leave when I wasn't looking?? Anyhow, we're thinking meat protein allergy and hoping for an improvement on the veggie diet.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 11:30 AM
Foxy's Canine Companions

I tried my spaniel on the Duck and Potato didnt make any difference. She chews her feet and becomes hyper beyond belief and her eyes go blood shot red within 1 hour. I now have her on Kangaroo and Oatmeal from Ekanuba recommended by our vet and so far the difference is unbelievable. I keep going to check she is still okay as she is just at regular dog speed now. Her eyes are also normal colour.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

SpanielLover, Kangaroo?? I honestly sometimes can't believe the extent we all go to for our furbabies. I've done bison, duck, all the other combinations, but honestly, not Kangaroo... Do you think they know how hard we try? Of course they're worth it, but I don't think I ever had to put this much effort into feeding my son.