Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 10th, 2005, 09:55 AM

Home Depot - Policy on Leashed Dogs

Does anyone know if the 'leashed dogs welcome' policy at most Home Depot stores is a Coporate one or is it individual?

I only ask because my boyfriend and I were asked not to bring our dogs (3 lbs yorkie, 10 lbs pom-mix) back in to one of the local stores. The sales person explained they had received too many complaints and had banned dogs, leashed or not...

Needless to say, we won't be going back to that store, its too bad too, because the trips to the hardware stores are usually for the dogs' benefit, but we usually end up finding something to buy.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:14 AM
-

My husband is a manager at one of Home Depots. I have asked him the same question. He says that there is a policy of no dogs and a sign at the doors but some stores are a little more flexable than others about it.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Senior Contributor

I occasionally take my 22 lb. Eskimo to Home Depot - but only when I absolutely have to because I can't leave him alone and when I intend to buy something. He wears a harness and I put him in the cart and keep a tight hold on the leash closest to his head. I know people say to take their pets to stores for socialization - personally I get very nervous because everyone wants to pet my dog and he is protective of me - plus you never know when someone will pull your dog's ear etc. in the type of society in which we live. PetSmart would seem to be your safest bet.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:17 AM

That's funny... So the stores that do let us in are the exception not the rule. Interesting because at the store where I think he works, some of the staff have coockies in their pockets... I guess we'll just have to see as we go, nothing like looking like an arrogant dog owner because you assumed.

Thanks Stacey!
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowDancer
He wears a harness and I put him in the cart and keep a tight hold on the leash closest to his head. I know people say to take their pets to stores for socialization - personally I get very nervous because everyone wants to pet my dog and he is protective of me - plus you never know when someone will pull your dog's ear etc. in the type of society in which we live. PetSmart would seem to be your safest bet.
Our two guys are fairly well socialized. And the whole reason for bringing them places like the Home Depot is so that they get pet and touched by everyone to keep up the socialization. We let them walk on their own two legs to avoid giving them the impression the store is less than safe.

I wouldn't let a child pet the dogs without their parent being there, and both dogs are used to being mauled by kids, and love it. The Home Depot or Rona is just another place to practice our obedience (like when you're waiting in line to pay) as well as our loose leash walking (like when 3 kids come running down the aisle to see the dogs, kids are one of Charley's favorites).

Petsmart is ok sometimes too, they alsways come with us when we need to go there, but there are only two in town and it gets boring going to the same store over and over.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:33 AM
-

I will find out whether they tend to do anything if the dogs were in the cart vs walking on their own.
The only time Montana has been inside is when the store is closed. We usually wait outside. Either way it is a good place to socialize. He sees and greets 20-30 people every time we go.
Old October 10th, 2005, 10:41 AM
-

I was in Loblaws the other day and someone was there with a dog. It is the decision of each individual store whether they will allow dogs in or not unless the store sells food. If it sells food then no dogs are allowed in.
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:32 PM

In the UK, the only dogs that are allowed into any shop are guide dogs.
Old October 10th, 2005, 02:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by huskypup
In the UK, the only dogs that are allowed into any shop are guide dogs.
I thought that was the case in Canada too (excluding pet stores) But apparantly I was wrong. Still, even as a dog owner, I don't think dogs should be allowed in stores that aren't pet-related.
Old October 10th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Owned by goldens

Dogs in stores%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppyluv
I thought that was the case in Canada too (excluding pet stores) But apparantly I was wrong. Still, even as a dog owner, I don't think dogs should be allowed in stores that aren't pet-related.

I agree with you 100%. All dogs except service dogs should not be allowed in any store except a store like Petsmart. There is no reason for them to be there plain and simple. There are many other places where people can socialize their pets including obedience schools.
The thought of me putting my food in a grocery store basket knowing that a dog could have been in the same basket a little while earlier would make me stop shopping in that store.
Family members work at Home Depot and their policy is no dogs but it is up to the personnel to tell people. Guess it depends on who is working there at the time.
I too thought it was a law that dogs are not allowed in stores. The only ones allowed in the Montreal area are service dogs or those training to be.
Old October 10th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Performance Spaniels

It's the same arguement from the walmart thread.

I don't think dogs should be places other than pet stores unless a guide dog.
Or maybe some open air markets, but that is dicey depending too.

It becomes an arguement over why people with small dogs seem to think it's their right to take them everywhere, and people with larger dogs wouldn't think about trying it.

Saying you won't shop in that home depot anymore because they asked you not to bring your pets, is being the pushy little dog owner who seems to think it is your right to take them everywhere.
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

Ive never seen a dog in HomeDepot,do they have signs saying no dogs allowed or do they assume people know?
Old October 10th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1
Ive never seen a dog in HomeDepot,do they have signs saying no dogs allowed or do they assume people know?
People should know. IMO it's no dogs allowed unless otherwise stated. No sign=no dogs. Heck I wouldn't even bring Layla into the pet store until I confirmed that it was ok. That's just me, but I think it's ridiculous to think that you can take your dog wherever you want.
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Can someone answer my question?
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:42 PM
-

The sign is the one that also includes the no shirt, no shoes.
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:44 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok thanks,so there are "no dog"signs at HD,I just have not seen them.I have not been in awhile.
Old October 10th, 2005, 06:45 PM
Owned by goldens

Policy

I don't think I have ever seen a sign that say no dogs however I am not sure.
Old October 10th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never seen a sign at Home Depot tho you might look at their web site. I never took any of our/my dogs to stores - I assumed they were not allowed. I am not sure a store is a place for a dog to be honest - except a large pet store. I see many dogs tied up outside some of the larger grocery stores in Halifax and that is understandable - even the best trained and loving dog in the world can be spooked and there are just too many ppl with allergies and fears. And even as a dog lover, I have to admit my heart goes in my mouth when I meet a strange roving dog on the sidewalk or somewhere else. I do blame that on a neighbourhood terrier who terrorized the area when I was growing up. He was never in his yard and his family thought he was a great dog - which he was when they were around but alone, he could be very vicious. Luickily for them and him, a family mbr was employed in city govt and any bites were attended to. So - I think of him when I see any dog roaming free. I can just imagine how ppl who have never loved and cared for a dog before feel!!

I have a neighbour who is scared of my big baby sookie chocolate lab who I labsit on occasion and unfortunately, we will never cure everyone's fears. I am well aware that most of those dogs are prob like "my" lab and the dogs I grew up with (a Siberian Husky, a fox terrier, poodle) and the dog I had as an adult - a beagle. But I have no way of knowing that. I do enjoy meeting ppl walking their dogs and sometimes ask if I can pet their pooches and 99% say sure. And I worry about the poor dogs tied up while their person is in those grocery stores (They could be stolen or hurt or break away). I would never think of taking my cats into a store except for the pet store and that is in their carrier. But obviously, dogs in a grocery store is a bad idea if for health reasons alone!

I do like meeting little puppies with ppl in stores (and that has occured on a few occasions tho mostly it is outside). I almost say that small dogs should be allowed b/c they can be in a carrier but that's not fair to the larger breeds. It is either none or all - I don't think we should discriminate and unfortunately, all dogs are the recipient of the fact that not eveyone is as contientious as those of us in this forum.
Old October 10th, 2005, 09:07 PM
-

I don't have any problems with people bringing their dogs to places that dogs are allowed. I actually encourage it. The problem I have is with the people who think that they can bring them everywhere attached to their body regardless of the rules. It should be clear to every dog owner that dogs are not allowed to be anywhere that carries food items like walmart and the grocery stores.
Either way it would be an automatic double standard because I wouldn't expect that my dane would be allowed because he can't be picked up or carted around in the cart.
My husband said that he will check to see exactly where the no dogs sign is so I can let all of you know. He thinks the reason they are not supposed to go in is because of the Harveys.
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:39 AM

I know here in MTL, the Home Depots and Reno Depots both have food in them, so definitely no dogs allowed. By law, there are no dogs allowed when there is any food, sign or not.

Is there a Harvey's in the Home Depot? Or another fast food joint?
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:58 AM
Senior Contributor

Aaah, one of the few things I miss about Germany. When I lived in Germany, I had a collie and she went everywhere with me. They always had treats for her at the Chinese restaraunt when I went in there to pick up my carry out order. She loved to say "hi" to everyone at the bar when we went to see my friend, the barkeep, every once in a while.

My Pom pup sure could use that kind of socializing!
Old October 11th, 2005, 06:59 AM

Just to clarify, the size of my dog does not impact on whether or not I think he should be allowed in to a store. I'd want to take him with me where I could even if he were a lab or something much bigger. The only reason I asked is because at one store (where I'd seen dogs go in before) some of the staff had treats in the pockets, and were more than happy to let Charley and Little Buddy in. So now I'm thinking my original assumption is incorrect, and will not go on the pretence that the dogs are allowed in at all stores because I would never leave Charley tied to a post outside the store, or locked in the car should he not be welcome.

And I have to concur with the grocery store/food services, comments, definitely no, no matter how small the dog in question, save and except service dogs (and that includes seeing eye dogs, seizure dogs, assistance dogs, etc).
Old October 11th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mafiaprincess
Saying you won't shop in that home depot anymore because they asked you not to bring your pets, is being the pushy little dog owner who seems to think it is your right to take them everywhere.
I would have to disagree with you on that one. If I have the choice between two stores, one that will let Charley in and one that won't, I'll choose the one where he can go in too.

Pushy would be hanging out in front of the store making a scene, protest style, or starting a letter writing campaign, or taking him in anyway after having been asked not to, you get the idea.
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:01 AM
-

Hubby said that you just happened to run into someone who had a problem with bringing them in. Some of them let it go and don't bother with you.
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I concur with people who say that dogs shouldn't be allowed in stores. For one thing, I've seen people who are terrified of dogs, even ones they know to be friendly. My sister, for example. She's just now liking Daisy because she misses our family dog, and she's realizing Daisy is a big dumbass (kinda like her dad, according to my wife ). But there have been a couple of times where I've taken her riding and we've run across dogs that it wouldn't occur to me that they might be even slightly dangerous, and I've found her frozen on the spot, wishing she wore depends.

I used to work in a bank, and this woman constantly brought in her yappy dog, and it drove me nuts. "what's the big deal?" "Fine, I'll bring in my pitbull" Of course, I got dirty looks or I was told that it was different. "It is different. She'll lie on the floor by my feet, and won't bark at a thing". Then someone would walk in without a shirt on, and I'd forget about the dog.

(And why is it the only people who don't wear shirts are the ones who REAAALLY should?)
Old October 11th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
I don't have any problems with people bringing their dogs to places that dogs are allowed. I actually encourage it. The problem I have is with the people who think that they can bring them everywhere attached to their body regardless of the rules. It should be clear to every dog owner that dogs are not allowed to be anywhere that carries food items like walmart and the grocery stores.
Either way it would be an automatic double standard because I wouldn't expect that my dane would be allowed because he can't be picked up or carted around in the cart.
My husband said that he will check to see exactly where the no dogs sign is so I can let all of you know. He thinks the reason they are not supposed to go in is because of the Harveys.

What Home Depot are you talking about? Or are they all "No Dogs" in Ottawa? I always wondered that so I didn't want to chance bringing the dogs there and get turned away.
Old October 11th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover4
What Home Depot are you talking about?
I've been greated with smiles and treats at the Rona on West Hunt CLub and the Home Depot on Baseline. We were asked not to come back with our dogs by a staff person at the one in Barrhaven.

As discussed above though, it might not be consistent though.
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:46 PM
Fish Guru - Formerly sneakypete79

Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott
Aaah, one of the few things I miss about Germany. When I lived in Germany, I had a collie and she went everywhere with me. They always had treats for her at the Chinese restaraunt when I went in there to pick up my carry out order. She loved to say "hi" to everyone at the bar when we went to see my friend, the barkeep, every once in a while.
My Pom pup sure could use that kind of socializing!
Lavender, Germany is not the only place where dogs are allowed to
go everywhere with their people. There are far, far more places in the world where dogs are allowed in stores with their people, than places that ban dogs.
In the Western world, the whole idea is that "Man is the measure of all things" and anything less is unsuitable. This is why people have no respect for dogs, and wont allow well trained dogs into shops. Its been ingrained in our culture for thousands of years to have no respect for animals, they arent equals, and therefor dont have the rights people deserve.
Just wanted to mention, for people who strongly believe in animal rights,
the world wide anthropological societies are coming together in the spring of 2006 to vote on whether or not Chimpanzees will be assigned a new genus-
Homo. They will no longer be Pan Troglodytes if the vote passes, but will be renamed Homo Troglodytes, and then anything done to a chimp will be considered a human rights violation, not an animal issue.
Im excited and hope wholeheartedly that it passes. Then maybe it will make people realize that animals are not so far from us as we may think!

As for Home Depot, the Home Depot near us has dog water dishes inside the front door, and I have on many occassions seens dogs on leash with their owners inside. I personally do not take offence to it.
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:53 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetFriendly
Home Depot on Baseline..
This is the one hubby is at.
Old October 11th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Senior Contributor

can i say jsut wow, you really take your dogs into stores, well dogs are not regarded like that over here, i have never seen anyone take or even attempt to take a dog into a store, its jsut not done and regarded as unhygenic by most (most ppl are disgusted that my dog lives inside let alone go into stores), not to mention bothersome to other shoppers i suppsoe.

nope even the cutest of little pup is tied outside every shop, it jsut seems unimaginable to take a dog in a store, weird in fact, i jsut dont live in such a world.

i think you should be really grateful to take your dog into any store really, what a wonderful store owner that would be, i certianly would be a big customer.

nope over here its tie up outside, and that if you can get to the front of the store, most ppl dont like big dogs so charlie often has to sit across the road from the store or jsut down a bit, but i can always check her, and she is to big and scary to steal, which was my biggest fear when she was a pup, heaps of dogs are stolen here when tied up, now shes to darn scary lookin yay for her.....

appreciate it ppl, what freedom you have. shhesh......sooo lucky....