Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old March 16th, 2006, 11:33 AM
Lucy's daddy

$109 for 8 classes. GOOD?

There's this gigantic pet-shop in Burlington which has been open for a year now. I'm sure people of this area have seen it by the Best-Buy. It's the first time I see that many square-feet dedicated to a pet-shop! Anyway, they have training classes for puppies, older dogs, special dogs and all sorts of other classes.

The one I want to attend is $109 for 8 weeks(1 hour each week). Is that a reasonable price?

Isn't 1 hour a week too little? What can the dog learn in 1 hour? I know it must be practiced throuhout the week, but I was wondering if there's a quicker way to get the training over with.

Thanks.
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Its really about teaching you - Lucy already knows how to do everything you think you want to teach her. She can sit, lay down, roll over - she does it all of the time. Its about teaching you how to communicate clearly and effectively.
Don't just go by cost and size of the place. Its the quality of the teacher. Ask if you can observe first and get a feel for the teacher who would be doing your class. Also do some research. Ask people who you see that have well mannered dogs and see where they went. Books and DVDs ( ) will also give depth that some classes don't. Clients often tell us that they learn more in 1 session with us than in all 12 classes from the 'other' trainers. Not everyone does it the same way.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old March 16th, 2006, 11:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soroush
Isn't 1 hour a week too little? What can the dog learn in 1 hour? I know it must be practiced throuhout the week, but I was wondering if there's a quicker way to get the training over with.
just a tip: don't begin classes with a "get it over" type of attitude. Training doesn't end when the class ends. Training is to teach the owner a better method of communicating w/ the dog - for a more harmonious relationship. Training should teach YOU the skills you'll need to live with, manage, and enjoy your dog for a lifetime.

I've been attending 1hr weekly sessions since my dog was about 12wks old. In class we learn techniques, and practice a bit, but most of the training work is done at home or outside the class.
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:06 PM

I think $109 is reasonable. I also agree with the other posters that these classes are all about training you, not the pup, and that training is forever, not just for the duration of the classes. There's no way to "get it over with", since it's never really "over".
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:13 PM
Rottie owner and lover

I think 109 is very cheap compared to some of the classes held here. But I have gone sat in quite a few of them to see whose class would suit both our needs. I finally found one. Although they were far from being the cheapest, they are reasonable. And the classes are great
Old March 16th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Senior Contributor

I paid $150 for 8 weeks of puppy kindergarten. One hour a week. It was definitely about training me, not Cooper, and that was a very good thing. I learned a lot of common sense things that I should have known but didn't think of. And Cooper had a ball !!!!! He would be so tuckered out on Monday nights. A good kind of tired you know?

It's about consistency. You have to reinforce the lessons at home and that shouldn't end when the classes end.
Old March 16th, 2006, 03:38 PM
Flyball Mom

I just paid $175 + GST for 8 weeks of basic training.

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old March 17th, 2006, 11:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Im with Byrd, I paid around 175 and that was years ago, it sounds really reasonable to me! Our classes were only an hour as well. Rocky was so young then he barely stayed awake for the whole hour til we got near the end of the eight weeks, then watch out LOL
Old March 19th, 2006, 11:13 PM
-

I paid $120 for eight one hour sessions and it was worth every penny. I learned just as much as Logan did, if not more. And I always give him "refresher lessons" which he loves. All I have to say is "wanna play schoolboy" and he comes in a flash.