Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old March 7th, 2007, 11:18 AM

shelter dog picking blues

hello everyone,
I'm in the midst of trying to rescue a house dog from my local shelter.We have a big fenced in backyard, we live close to the beach here in New Jersey and we both work.Our kids are 10 yrs to 17yrs 4 total.I found a beautiful 2yr old GSP who the owner gave her up due to moving? She doesn't jump sits when told and is a little scared being in the shelter and is housebroken good with kids and other animals she is a sweetheart.I saw a yellow lab 4 yr old male, stray likes to jump have no clue of his past except he was fixed and he seems fine on the leash also seems like nothing bothers him also a big mush.I 've had dogs all my life and it's time for another one, my new wife has a little allergy problem nothing a hepe filter hasn't helped.The dog would be alone for maximum 6 hours a day till school is out then it's love the dog time for all of us.Any thoughts on these 2 wonderful dogs, I don't want to make a wrong choice I know the GSP'S are very active but she seems more laid back than the lab and she is small for her breed.Also how is the shedding on these 2
Thank you
Tom
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:55 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Hi, and welcome!

I think the most important question is how you and your wife feel about the dogs. It sounds like you are ready to make a commitment--but do you think your wife's allergies will still be handled by the hepafilters if the dog is in the house with you? Is she specifically allergic to dogs, or does she just have allergies in general?

Does hair in the house bother you or your wife? Both shepherds and labs shed...there isn't a dog that doesn't shed at least a little, but I'd put these two breeds in the moderate shedder category (right between the "poof...just wipe that hair off once a month" and the "hun, get the vacuum cleaner, the hair balls are attacking me again!" categories. I have 6 in the latter category, so I have experience ) The lab will have shorter hair, but will still shed. We had a black lab years back and 3 years after he died, we were still finding his hair under the fridge. I've never had a GSD, but the hair is longer and will probably be more noticeable.

At our house, when someone finds hair in their food, my husband whispers, "Shhhhh...everyone will want some!" he he It all depends on your attitude about hair and your perception of cleanliness. (And no, we don't often get dinner guests but no one has ever gotten sick after eating at our table.)

Both these dogs sound like wonderful animals, but only you can tell if either is a good match for your family. What do the kids think of the dogs? How they interact with the dogs might tell you a lot about which would be the better match.

If it were me, I'd probably end up bringing both home! But then, I've been crazy for some time now

Once you make your choice and bring your new furbaby home, I hope you post some pics! We love pictures on this forum!

Good luck with your decision! (Frankly, though, it sounds like both dogs are winners!)
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:04 PM

It sounds like you have two great dogs to choose from!
How do you feel about 2 new additions to the family?

I can't say anything about GSD shedding, but I have had many labs. From experience, the yellow labs shed quite a bit. It may be because the light hair is more noticeable...but it really seems like they shed more than most dogs I have had. With that being said, they are wonderful dogs and it is nothing a quick vacuum and regular brushing can't fix.

I agree with hazelrunpack - it really depends on your attitude about dog hair. Our non-dog friends may think its not so nice...but as a dog lover it is no big deal and a small price to pay for such loving companions.

Good luck with your choice!!..and pictures would be nice
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:27 PM
-

Adopt both of them ?
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM

thanks everybody but the one dog is a GSP GERMAN SHORTHAIRED POINTER not a SHEPARD I just came from the shelter and they are right next to each other The pointer just barks and wants out and the lab just lays there
Old March 7th, 2007, 01:53 PM

That's a toughie!

In my experience, people who are allergic to dogs are very allergic to labs... But they are great dogs, relatively easy to train (but you still have to know what you're doing), and calm down around 4 or 5 to become loveable, amazing companions (even though they still might chew if understimulated).

GSPs might cause less allergies than the labs do (not 100% sure on that one), but they are wacked! They're soooo goofy and loveable, but stubborn! You have to be so consistent with a GSP. If you're not ready for a lot of consistent training, a GSP is not for you. They're also great hunting dogs, which means a couple walks a day won't be enough. They need a ton of exercise, and you have to be ready to give it because we all know how teenagers get when the novelty wears off...

In the end, I'd probably get the lab, but then again, I have total disregard for allergies.

But who do you connect most with?
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:18 PM

Prin,
Thank you for your insight, like I said today I sat with both of them cause they are next to each other and pet both at the same time.The lab just laid there loving it and the pointer just stood there about to fall asleep standing while I pet her.When I would walk away the pointer would bark her head off , the lab just layed there watching me walk away.I like how the lab is more independent but he is not house trained.I took a week off to be with the one I choose so they could adjust better and I can get them used to our home
Tom
Old March 7th, 2007, 02:21 PM

But when you look at them in the eyes, who hits your heart most? Because those are the eyes that will get you though the bad times in the beginning...
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Doggie Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrm63 View Post
I like how the lab is more independent but he is not house trained.
...relatively easy to overcome with patience and training. There are some good threads on this site regarding house training.

Perhaps if you and your family spent more time with these dogs, you'll have a better idea?
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:46 PM

Thank you all for your kind words and expertise
I'm taking my 10 yr old with me to look at the lab today I am leaning towards the lab cause the amount of exercise the pointer would need.I will keep you posted
thank you
Tom
Old March 7th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Do we get pics later?
Old March 7th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Definitely need pictures when you adopt, but I'm thinking I agree with some suggestions above, ADOPT BOTH!
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:05 PM

Thanks to all of you nice people our family made a decision and at 10am tomorrow I will be bringing home our new 5th child the 4 yr old lab.After I bath and brush him and get him settled in I will post pictures
Tom
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:09 PM
-

So you're not getting both of them ? :sad: Just kidding Congratulation on your new family member ! and thanks for saving a dog's life.
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Learning fast

Wow, thats one tough decission, I hope there's enough room in the car so you may just be tempted to bring them both home.
We were so lucky, we were looking through petfinder and Riley just jumped out at us. Then the same thing happend with Missy, there was no competition, however I have been banned from looking anymore
Congratulations on releasing another dog back into a home you can't save them all but you can give them all a bit of love on the way, picking the right dog now means keeping the right dog forever so you did right (despite most of the people giving advice having mutiple rescue pets ) So by 10.01 am we will be expecting pictures and updates on the hour, but only for the first 3 years, after then you can post more
Once again Thank you for choosing a shelter dog and congratulations on your new family member
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

Congratulations! I hope you and your dog enjoy many happy years together.

Don't let the allergy thing put you off either, I'm really allergic to cats, dogs, birds and I have mild asthma. I've had cats, dogs and birds all my life and sure, I wheeze a little at night and have to be careful not to touch my eyes if I've given one of my furry kits a pat, but it's worth it!

Cindy
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Live well, laugh often

Congratulations on the new addition. Be forewarned that there will likely be a massive shedding period while the new dog settles but it shouldn't always be that bad .
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:17 PM

Yey!!! Congrats!! WOO!! To be honest, he probably would have had a harder time being adopted than the younger GSP...

It's going to be so much fun! If you need any advice about anything, health, behavior or food, we're on standby.
Old March 8th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Thanks for all the encouragement 1.5 hours to go till it's happy time.
Get this, I'm in Home Depot yesterday getting paint, a guy stands next to me and I look down and he has a yellow lab in the store! I ask him do they allow dogs in here and he said I don't care this dog goes everywhere with me.I had my pocket full of dog treats cause I was going back to the shelter and I asked him if I could give his dog one, he said sure.The lab took the treat and his owner said do you have more and I gave him some.He told the dog to lay down and he put the treat on his paw, the lab just looked at his owner till he said take it,then he put one on his nose and the lab wouldn't eat till his master said so. It was amazing, but here is the zinger I asked the owner what was the dogs name he said OTIS. The yellow lab in the shelter is named OTIS ! Divine intervention? maybe. This was another reason I chose the lab. Wish me luck I took a week off to be with him so he can adjust
Thank you everybody
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:05 AM

Congratulations!

I think that must have been a sign!

I know you are going to love your Otis. Please post pics as soon as possible.
Labs are amazing family dogs and very easy to train and eager to please. I am sure he will adjust wonderfully to your home.
And just in case you were having any doubts on your choice....the once german short-haired pointer I had was a high-energy nut-job. We loved him, but he was definitely not a calm, well-behaved guy. I definitely think you will have an easier time with the lab....but I hope the GSP does find his forever home too

You must be excited! Have fun!
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:44 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Congratulations! Looking forward to those pics...hourly...for the first 3 years...he he he x.l.r.8 you crack me up!

But seriously, Tom, it sounds like you made a good decision and I really am looking forward to seeing pics of your new family member!
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:37 PM

Well our lab is home, let's see 1 hour at the beach off the leash running free, drive to natural dog food store, 1.5 hours down at the dog beach playing fetch with a stick. He finally gave up and dropped on the sand.Home and into the bathtub, blow drying,fed and is laying next to me playing with his Kong waiting for the kids to come home from school.So far so good the crate is ready if needed and I have all week to get him adjusted.He doesn't answer to Otis so we are going to find another name by family vote, as for pictures how do you get them on here.Please let me know and I'll put them up
Thanks again everyone
Tom
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Half Way To Crazy

congrats on your new addition, and to post picts when you reply there will be a paperclip on top click that and brows in your computer for the pictures then upload, and then close the window insert the picture the same way and poof there you go, you might have to resize them there is a max size you are aloud to post.

waiting to see pictures of your new addition
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Doggie Wench

Look at this to post photos: http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24118

Can't wait to see the pictures!!!
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:16 PM

I took pictures of GUNNER that is his new name it suits him well, but I'm still having trouble downloading the photos.I resized them like a few of you told me to to 500 but they are still to big, any help would be great
Thank you
Tom
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:19 PM

You can always join a photo hosting site, like www.photobucket.com and paste the [img] links in here. They're really easy to use.
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:35 PM

DID I DO THIS RIGHT,IF NOT PLEASE LET ME KNOW
THANK YOU
TOM
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:39 PM

The pictures did come out, Thank you PRIN, this is Gunner in front of the fireplace and 2 other pictures of him after his first bath.Hope you like the pictures
Tom
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:47 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjrm63 View Post
The pictures did come out, Thank you PRIN, this is Gunner in front of the fireplace and 2 other pictures of him after his first bath.Hope you like the pictures
Tom
Yes but they're not big enough he looks so cozy in front of the fireplace ! Lucky dog !
Old March 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Doggie Wench

Gunner is absolutely gorgeous . He certainly looks like he's always been your dog. Congratulations and thank you so much for saving a rescue.