Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Cat food forum

Old May 21st, 2007, 01:51 PM
~Cat Servent~

Windy having trouble with California Naturals

I completed the slow change over to California Naturals about 2 weeks ago now, the Herring and Sweet Potato Dry formula, and everyone seems to like it and although I've noticed larger poops, they are all solid save for poor Windy. This happened once before with her and Wellness, she is having looser (partially solid) stools and has a big problem with poop sticking to her fur and back feet. It was so bad (and stinky) last night I gave her a little half bath in the bathroom sink. I know it makes her just as grossed out as me, she is a meticulous groomer.
I am wondering if any of you know of something I can give her or add to the food or water (best would be something I can administer directly to her) to aid with digestion and maybe help to solidify her poo. I am not ready to try another food, because there are not many choices out there right now for my requirements for Fagan. And I can't afford to be feeding them all something different. (Although I will if I find no alternative.)
Could it be that her body has become dependant on the 'binders' in food like Nutro that she has eaten all her life? I know some people who fed Evo had a similar problem, so did anyone find anything to work?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 21st, 2007, 01:53 PM
Rosco, Raw Fed & LOVES IT

Try cutting back the amount your feeding.

Their impression of power is remarkable. They give one the feeling of immense reserves of energy, of great reservoirs of knowledge, of tolerance of disposition, obstinacy of purpose, and tenacity of principle. They are responsive, and they have a lot of quiet, good sense.

-J. Wentworth Day, from The Dog in Sport, 1938
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM

I agree!!!
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:02 PM
~Cat Servent~

Ok sorry I didn't clarify that I am already limiting their intake, over eating is NOT the problem here.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old May 21st, 2007, 09:07 PM

We have that problem with every food Tommy's had and the only thing so far that has worked is prozyme digestive enzymes. It's a powder we sprinkle on his food every day and it's worked wonders for him and all the tummy troubles he's had. It's a bit expensive, but it really works well for us.
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:44 PM

Does pumpkin work for cats? Is this a cat?
Old May 22nd, 2007, 05:51 PM

I don't know if pumpkin works the same for kitties as doggies, my mom tried that and it had the reverse effect on her cats! She did use the prozyme though, and that's cleared it all up for her kitties so far (although now I have to get another bottle cuz she won't give mine back, LOL).
Old June 14th, 2007, 05:48 PM
~Cat Servent~

Argh

Ugh.... I am so frustrated, since switching from the Medi-cal Hypo/Gastro to Cal Nat... 2 months and Windy is still having loose stool despite the stuff I got to shake over the food that was supposed to help. And both Buddy and Fagan had to go back for shots of Depomedrol because they started to chew away their fur again!

So I am going back to the vet food. It may not be the best, but it worked. Until someone comes out with a really good duck formula similar to the vet food at a reasonable price. (I looked into Fromm but they also contain chicken broth, turkey liver etc that are still an allergy possibility and it would be extremely expensive for feeding 6). I'm really surprised that all these natural/ holistic companies don't carry more of a variety the majority of them are all made with chicken, which is one of the top food allergens for cats. (And unfortunately herring seems to be bad here too .... fish is also high on the food allergen list for cats- which surprised me.)

So if anyone works with pet food... I need a formula with single source protein (duck) , ha maybe I'll write Cal Nat... suggest that to them.