Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 1st, 2005, 11:39 PM

any suggestions

on how to effectively hold down a pitbull when trying to administer first aid to an injured paw? Even muzzled with two men holding her, she still managed to bite my hand. Which of course makes me wonder about the effectiveness of muzzles, if a dog really wants to bite. I've tried the muzzle and leashing her to a fence post, but she almost added more injury to herself trying to get away. I also gave her a buffered aspirin to help with the pain, but it didn't make any difference. She will let me dip the paw in water to soak it, but if I try to dry it or put ointment on it, she goes berzerk. She is incredibly strong. I don't want to have to take her to the vet and have her sedated just to treat this, as it is the kind of injury that will need soaking, drying and ointment a couple times a day. That could get ridiculously expensive.

My goal here is to treat the wound, and tape a sock over her foot to keep her from licking it. Any suggestions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated.

Me and Kayla
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:45 PM

which paw is it? (front or back paw?) also, do you normally work with her paws? If you're getting upset by her being injured, she could sense that and is reacting that way.
I don't use alot of force with my dog... I think dogs react badly to force.

Witout knowing alot about the dog, I would say, lay the doggie on the back, have osmnoe feed her some treats, work with her other paws and then go to the inured ones. if it is her back leg, helod it against her body, bent, as if she is laying, and hold it there FIRMLY.

Its hard for me to describe it seems, i'm sorry
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:56 PM

It also depends on your attitude. If you approach the doggy angrily and forcefully, the doggy will react a certain way. You have to go gradually. You can't just bombard the doggy with pain all of a sudden. And lotsa treats, lots and lots of the doggy's favorite treats.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
It also depends on your attitude. If you approach the doggy angrily and forcefully, the doggy will react a certain way. You have to go gradually. You can't just bombard the doggy with pain all of a sudden. And lotsa treats, lots and lots of the doggy's favorite treats.
Does 1 1/2 lbs of raw turkey count as treats? (that's her fav.)

I've been working on this now for 24 hours. I tried the soft and gentle route and got bit, and I've tried the muzzle and leash route and got bit. I've tried distracting her, but she's smart...she sees right through me. My right hand is starting to look worse than her foot. If I even look at her foot, her lips start to curl. She's now started hiding in the house, so I can't see her licking the paw. I'm trying to think of some kind of contraption that will allow me to harness her in without her being able to hurt me or herself.

btw...it's the front paw JaydeDoggie. The other paws are a little red looking, but not as bad as the front 'right' one. I've always been able to handle her paws and she's never reacted at all. It must be really painful, because pitties generally have a high tolerance for pain. She had this problem awhile ago (but not as bad) and the vet suggested bathing them, and making sure they were really dry and then applying a foul tasting cream to them (which she just ended up licking off). Obviously, if I can't come up with a viable solution by Monday we are going back to the vet, however, I still have another day and 1/2 to get through before then.

Me and Kayla
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Having had to deal with a lot of paw issues lately :sad: I know what you're going through. I had to hold Layla down while the vet cut off a giant cyst, sans anaesthetic! While she's not as big as a pitty, she can put up a fight.
Talk to her a lot, be gentle, whisper sweet nothings in her ear, soothe her. She needs to know youre there with her. Hold her head and coo in her ear.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:14 AM

I think if nothing works, you might need a sedative. The more you fuss, the harder it will get...
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
I think if nothing works, you might need a sedative. The more you fuss, the harder it will get...
That is soooooo true.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 07:47 AM
-

If you are using a properly fitted muzzle she shouldn't be able to give a bite. You could cut a sock(a long tube type) down the sides. Slip the end over the nose with the muzzle on and tie around the back of the head. Attach a leash, place her into a down and have someone step on the leash giving her very little room to move. Having several people physically hold her down will stress her out even more. Try to stay calm and move quickly. When you are done don't let her just run away. Pet her while you remove the muzzle and sock and have treats to feed her. Once she has calmed let her go. While she is healing you may want to restrict her space so you know what she is doing at all times.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 09:41 AM
AmInaL

My first suggestion would be to make sure the muzzle fits. make a comfy spot on the floor. Have someone sit on her left side, left arm around her head, lean over with right arm to hold her paw, putting some weight on her. Both of you talk her through it, very gently, tell her it's OK, and she's a good girl the whole time. Work quickly and gently, giving her treats in between.

Try to make it as calm as possible, the more stressed you are, the more she will be.

I think you may have to resort to sedation

"Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear." - Dave Barry
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobsterMom
My first suggestion would be to make sure the muzzle fits. make a comfy spot on the floor. Have someone sit on her left side, left arm around her head, lean over with right arm to hold her paw, putting some weight on her. Both of you talk her through it, very gently, tell her it's OK, and she's a good girl the whole time. Work quickly and gently, giving her treats in between.

Try to make it as calm as possible, the more stressed you are, the more she will be.

I think you may have to resort to sedation
Checked with the emergency animal hospital this morning. $800.00 to sedate her and fix the foot! If they sedate her, they want her to stay over night. I love my dog, but that's going to be an absolute LAST resort. So back to trying to do this myself.

Holding her in a standing position hasn't worked. I had her harness, the halty, the muzzle, a towel wrapped around her and 2 leashes attached and secured and she still managed to get out of that.

I'm going to try to get her on her side and get a friend to hold her down by laying over her and adding a little weight as suggested, but I'll have to wait until a little later, when she has gotten over the stress from this morning's adventure. I'll keep you posted.

Me and Kayla
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:37 PM
-

What exactly is wrong with her paws? That seems like a lot of money to clean and wrap a cut if that is what it is. It doesn't cost that much for many surgeries.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:53 PM
<-----nut ball

at my vet it was $160 to sedate Odin, and pull a string that was in his teeth and gum out, and keep him overnight.

I don't know if this is an idea, but what if you filled a bathtub about 4 inches with water and a ton of antibacterial soap and some epsom salt (to soothe the pain) and just let her spash around? dumping a bunch of antibacterial soap in there (unscented if you can find it) would be cheaper than the vet.

Last edited by raingirl; October 2nd, 2005 at 12:56 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 12:55 PM

My vet charged me about $50 to sedate Jemma and clean her ears. The sedative wore off in a couple of hours. I don't understand why they don't do that instead of anaesthesia.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raingirl
at my vet it was $160 to sedate Odin, and pull a string that was in his teeth and gum out, and keep him overnight.

I don't know if this is an idea, but what if you filled a bathtub about 4 inches with water and a ton of antibacterial soap and some epsom salt (to soothe the pain) and just let her spash around? dumping a bunch of antibacterial soap in there (unscented if you can find it) would be cheaper than the vet.
She doesn't have a problem with the bathing part. I've been doing that, however, she won't let me touch it to dry it or put any ointment on it. It's the skin between the pads in the paws that is raw and weeping. $800.00 seemed horrifically high to me too, which is why I wanted to wait until tomorrow to see my own vet.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:37 PM
Senior Contributor

I think getting her on her side would be your best bet, rather than standing.
Also, I don't know if this applies to your case, but for Layla's foot, the vet told me to soak it in a bucket of warm water and bleach (1 Litre water to 1 capful bleach) for 3 minutes twice a day, let it air dry, and not to bandage it. This has helped her foot imensely, and might be worth a try.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:51 AM
Helicopter Champion

Perhaps you could use a hair dryer, set to the cool setting, to dry the paws. As for getting ointment in between the toes, when you are in to see your vet, check to see if they have, or will recommend, an antiseptic spray. This will avoid you having to handle the paws.

Anyways, just a thought
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:01 AM
AmInaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and Kayla
She doesn't have a problem with the bathing part. I've been doing that, however, she won't let me touch it to dry it or put any ointment on it. It's the skin between the pads in the paws that is raw and weeping. $800.00 seemed horrifically high to me too, which is why I wanted to wait until tomorrow to see my own vet.
$800.00!!! This vet must be giving out some pretty great sedation. It should only cost around 100.00 for sedation, vet check, treatment and meds. The sedation is done in the exam room and is usually reversible, one shot to sleep, one to wake up.

"Dogs feel very strongly that they should always go with you in the car, in case the need should arise for them to bark violently at nothing right in your ear." - Dave Barry
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:01 AM
Senior Contributor

She said that's the price the emergency vet quoted, and in general, the emergency vet is waaaay more expensive than the normal vet.
Maybe you should call your normal vet and find out how much, it should be much less than the emerg.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:31 AM
AmInaL

Yes...I get that, but I've seen an emergency tail amputation on a Sunday only cost $900.00.

It would still cost maybe about a hundred bucks more, however I can't see a clinic giving them an emergency quote, they would just say it wasn't an emergency and try to book an appointment for the next day. If they did this they are WRONG and unethical.

IMO a sore paw is not an emergency, therefore, an emergency quote should not have been given. If I booked a sore paw on a Sunday afternoon, my boss would have hanged me. Sundays and after hours are spent recalling clients, follow-ups on patients, tending to the inclinics, and emergencies ie: bleeding/vomiting/appendages hanging off/breathing problems/etc.

Let us know what your regular vet says and keep us updated on your baby

Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:00 AM

Quote:
It would still cost maybe about a hundred bucks more, however I can't see a clinic giving them an emergency quote, they would just say it wasn't an emergency and try to book an appointment for the next day. If they did this they are WRONG and unethical.

Let us know what your regular vet says and keep us updated on your baby
I'm happy to provide the name of the emerg clinic in private PM to anyone who would like it, if it's allowed, to avoid that place. If what I am hearing is correct, then they are gouging people. Called my own vet this morning, and she will see her at 3pm this afternoon. She is still running a fever, but she managed to eat breakfast this morning. My vet told me not to worry about the sedation, because they have means and ways of dealing with strong, paranoid pitties.

btw..Tried the dryer idea, but she's freaked by the noise. The antiseptic spray idea though is fabulous. I'll inquire when I get to the vet this afternoon.

Thanks for all the great suggestions folks!

Me and Kayla
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:04 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

When you see the vet ask her for Topagen... I went through this with a dog we had, he sliced a pad open and we had to mildly sedate him in order to clean and repair. Then we just kept up with Topagen spray and it healed beautifully.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:05 AM
AmInaL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me and Kayla
My vet told me not to worry about the sedation, because they have means and ways of dealing with strong, paranoid pitties.
LOL! Yes, it's called brave staff!

good luck this afternoon, hope all goes well!

Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMDLuver
When you see the vet ask her for Topagen... I went through this with a dog we had, he sliced a pad open and we had to mildly sedate him in order to clean and repair. Then we just kept up with Topagen spray and it healed beautifully.
Will do! Thanks
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:28 AM

Quote:
LOL! Yes, it's called brave staff!

good luck this afternoon, hope all goes well!
Brave or in desperate need of a paycheck?? LOL

I have visions of the vet decked out in a head-to-toe padded suit, with a goalie mask on her face.

Knowing Kayla....I wouldn't bet that she will still win that battle. In one swift move on the weekend, she flipped off her muzzle, and squirmed out of her harness in less than 5 seconds.

Me and Houdini
Old October 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM

Given her Houdini ways this may be a fruitless suggestion but given that she is really worrying that paw you might want to pick up an e-collar when you are at the vets.

Mel
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:07 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

$800.00 - probably because it is an emergency clinic and they have to work after hours!! This would be my guess as to why the price is so high! That would be for a consultation, anesthetic, any medications(cream, antibiotic soap etc), guaze, you name it, the list would go on!! (I once was charged $2.00 for a LABEL on the medication bottle!!)

I hope Kayla is feeling better!! Copper is pretty touchy when it comes to his feet....oops, sorry....PAWS!! My vet is the only person who can cut his nails without him freaking out!! He doesn't like me to try and fix him because I constantly fuss over him and he gets annoyed with me! lol
I find Copper cooperates better at the vet than at home. When he injured his nail, I thought for sure he would have to be sedated and thought he would be traumatized by the situation(having a nail pulled out). Well, I totally freaked and worried for nothing!!! We were in and out in 2 minutes and he was just fine! Smart creatures they are!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Copper'sMom
I find Copper cooperates better at the vet than at home. When he injured his nail, I thought for sure he would have to be sedated and thought he would be traumatized by the situation(having a nail pulled out). Well, I totally freaked and worried for nothing!!! We were in and out in 2 minutes and he was just fine! Smart creatures they are!
Well, you were right on the money with that one Copper'sMom. She let the vet touch 3 of her paws. The last one was not negotiable. The thermometer up the butt was also not negotiable...LOL

We had to switch to the heavy duty muzzle, which worked at saving our hands and arms from serious damage, but only caused her to start hyperventilating. Anyway...the end result was..she has a fever and a bad infection in two paws, which the vet decided was best suited to an internal antibiotic and no bathing, ointments...etc. She wants it kept completely dry for a week.

Total cost...$68.00, with a follow-up visit in one week.

Me and a very sleepy Kayla
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:28 PM

BTW...thanks all for the support and the great suggestions. Nothing seems worse than feeling helpless when it comes to our babies.

Me and Kayla
Old October 3rd, 2005, 09:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I'm so glad to hear it all worked out! (And for less than a tenth of the quoted cost no less!)