Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old July 7th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
that man should be held up as an example to all.....I mean look how well he did with these dogs...so far, no cross mean ones.....all friendly, no people aggression....they all look healthy enough.....may he rest in peace knowing his pack is being looked after
Very good point Melinda.
Old July 7th, 2010, 07:57 PM
Senior Contributor

This was posted today:

We got two female black labs last night. 59 RESCUED SO FAR! We know of two left, a male rottie mix, and Mama Cass, a blonde female. We did not see those two yesterday but food will be dropped off for them all throughout the week. Once ONR staff report back to us that they are seeing those two or any other dogs then ...we will return again but until then we will wait for sightings of dogs before we return.

This worries me as I know there is a feral pack up there and also lots and lots of bears! But I know that waiting over 12 hrs for the train to come back in the middle of no where covered in black flies and mosquitoes is no fun and can drive people literally crazy! I just hope the ONR guys spot the dogs and they go back up soon!

They have done such a great job trapping 59 dogs!

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old July 11th, 2010, 04:44 PM

Hi!

I'm not sure if anyone in this forum is directly involved with the Mile 26 dogs, so I thought I would join. I have been at all but 2 of the rescues at Mile 26. It has been an amazing experience. I also had the joy of temporarily bringing some of these dogs home (Little Anne, Zoe, Liddy and Harrah).
If anyone has questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to make sure you all have the most up to date information.
Thank you !
Old July 11th, 2010, 07:39 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Thank you for joining our forum. We have been watching what has been happening in Northern Ontario and are sending lots and lots of for these poor dogs and their s who have been spending their time trying to save them.

Thank you!

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:35 PM
Senior Contributor

If anyone has seen the feral pack, how many dogs would be running in it?(roughly) I've a friend here(in Oz) that recently hunted deer in very rugged mountains and they have feral packs of dogs there that are extremely dangerous to humans. They are the hunting types used here, Wolfhound/Staghound, he's even seen GSD crosses. 59 is a remarkable rescue, big kudos to those involved.
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:42 PM
Senior Contributor

cjbisco...welcome to the forum! *waving*

I am not directly involved with the Mile 26 dogs but saw it on our news so was letting people on the forum what was going on on the website. I'm 90 minutes west of Cochrane.

I wanted to know if u have caught the last 2 dogs that were seen and that the ONR guys are keeping an eye out for and were suppose to let u know they saw before u go back up to mile 26?

What happened to the feral dogs that were killing the submissive dogs? Are they still around Mile 26?

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old July 11th, 2010, 08:57 PM

Mile 26

there is no proof of any feral pack of dogs. I don't even know where this information is coming from. We have yet to see a vicious dog during our rescues. Last Wednesday, the ONR guys saw two black dogs.....and sure enough, we came home with 2 black dogs. Liddy and Harrah.
There are 2 dogs, a rottie mix and "mama cass" that were seen long ago but haven't been seen since. We will be calling the ONR guys tomorrow to see if there have been anymore spotted. If there are, we will go back to try and trap them. Being there just about from the start, I feel in my heart that we have rescued all of them. There are no longer dogs running out of the bushes to greet the train as they were doing at the beginning. Noone greeted us Wednesday. We were VERY lucky to get the two black ones out. The 2 bears that are there regularily are becoming a real nuisance. They damaged 2 out of our 3 live traps, and are not afraid of us at all. Even gun fire doesn't scare them away for long.

In the mean time, the ONR guys have dog food with them, and on a daily basis will be dumping some food at the rescue site just incase there are some there.

Our next focus is on fund raising to pay for food, vet bills, etc. AND WE NEED FOREVER HOMES. These dogs are friendly and loving. They need a home.

Old July 12th, 2010, 03:38 PM
-

Thanks for the update cjbisco kudos to all of you who have helped in saving the dogs from Mile 26....if only the OSPCA had have got involved it would have been such a help to all of you.

I think this photo says a lot...this is Gogama, the only one who bared her teeth in the beginning....man what a change

Name:  Gogama - dog at mile 26.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  43.0 KB
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Chris,that is a face of contentment,she looks really sweethopefully these pups will all eventually find homes and hopefully they are all healthy

cjbisco,welcome to our forum and thank you for having taken part in this rescue.
It must give you an enormous sense of satisfaction,knowing you saved so many lives.
Would the OSPCA not help with vet-care,food etc...?
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM

Yes Gogama makes me smile. I was present at her rescue. I have no fear of dogs or of getting bit, but this is the ONLY girl I would not dare touch. Look at her now!!! Awesome!!
Also, I think the best thing was that SPCA did not get too involved. When they stuck their noses in for 3 days, it was just annoying, and they managed to get their photo on the front page of the paper in regards to this rescue. They did **** all and then tryed to take the glory. We don't need them in my opinion. It's the OSPCA that started the rumor that all dogs were feral. I would REALLY like to know how they came to this conclusion without even attending the site. One rumor was that someone went to view it by helicopter, and another rumor was that she went by rail truck. When I personally asked the local SPCA person which is was....she said she did not know! Lack of communication? Or just a pile of lies? I have lost ALL respect for OPSCA.
Old July 12th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

you guys are awesome!!

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old July 12th, 2010, 04:00 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbisco View Post
Yes Gogama makes me smile. I was present at her rescue. I have no fear of dogs or of getting bit, but this is the ONLY girl I would not dare touch. Look at her now!!! Awesome!!
Also, I think the best thing was that SPCA did not get too involved. When they stuck their noses in for 3 days, it was just annoying, and they managed to get their photo on the front page of the paper in regards to this rescue. They did **** all and then tryed to take the glory. We don't need them in my opinion. It's the OSPCA that started the rumor that all dogs were feral. I would REALLY like to know how they came to this conclusion without even attending the site. One rumor was that someone went to view it by helicopter, and another rumor was that she went by rail truck. When I personally asked the local SPCA person which is was....she said she did not know! Lack of communication? Or just a pile of lies? I have lost ALL respect for OPSCA.
Not sure if you are aware of what has been happening in the GTA area with the OSPCA, but I have lost total respect for them months ago.

If they were in charge, I bet most of these dogs would have been euthanized anyways. I believe Jean was looking down over his pack and did not want OSPCA to get involved.
to you.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 12th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I lost respect for the OSPCA a while back,they seem to be more in to killing,than what their name stands for
Old July 12th, 2010, 09:59 PM
Senior Contributor

cjbisco, I had read/heard that there was a pack of dogs that were kiling the more submissive dogs cause they were starving.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:03 PM
-

Here's your Awwwww factor for the day.....This is Bree one of the females from Mile 26, she gave birth to 7 puppies last night

Name:  Bree and her pups....mile 26.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  84.2 KB

You have to love these people
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Awwwwwwwww , thanks, Chris for posting that pic. And yes, these guy are awesome !

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 14th, 2010, 03:38 PM

I have NO idea how I completely missed this thread. What a sad and amazing story all at the same time. I'm in awe at the people who have worked tirelessly to save these dogs. Prayers that they can all find good homes.

Mama to Izzy, rescued March 2009.
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Awwwww Chris,what a great picture,I am so glad these pups were born in a safe place
Mom is a beautiful girl
Also,these people are fabulous for sure,deserve all the kudos we can give them
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Bree was pregnant? I didn't know that. She is the one that I would of loved to adopt, she had a chest wound when they got her. She is a lovely dog and look at those puppies! So sweet.

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:03 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

What a sweet family, Chris!! Look at all those little tykes!!!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM

It was amazing visiting Bree this morning with her 7 new puppies. She let me hold them and had no problem with it. She is such a good mom! I will be going back in 2 weeks when Im back from holidays to take more photos. I posted alot of photos of the pups on my facebook site. They travelled to this forum in mach one speed LOL! Bree will be looking for a forever home once she is done with being a mommy. She is simply amazing and if I didnt have 2 dogs already I would take her home in a hurry!
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:50 PM
Doggie Wench

A warm welcome to our forum, cjbisco. Your, and your fellow rescuers', dedication to saving these dogs are worthy of heroes' worship. Thank you .

Would you share with us what a typical day of searching for and finding dogs entailed?
Old July 14th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

cj...how is bree's chest wound doing? it is healing ok?

Debbie

~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~

Last edited by Tundra_Queen; July 14th, 2010 at 10:53 PM. Reason: can't type LOL
Old July 14th, 2010, 11:02 PM

she was laying on that side so I didnt see it. I will take a look next time I am there but I'm not concerned. If Im not mistaken, she got a shot of antibiotic and she had done a great job of keeping it clean on her own, so it didn't need sutures or anything like that.
Old July 19th, 2010, 11:54 AM
-

I couldn' resist, this is Gogama again, what satisfaction this must give

Name:  Gogama giving a kiss.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  85.6 KB

They are in urgent need of foster homes.....transport can be arranged....wish me luck, I'm gonna see what Ol' Crusty says
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:04 PM
-

what a nice picture

good luck with Pepe Chris ! Would be great if you could foster one
Old July 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
I couldn' resist, this is Gogama again, what satisfaction this must give

Attachment 67659

They are in urgent need of foster homes.....transport can be arranged....wish me luck, I'm gonna see what Ol' Crusty says

Maybe he is afraid you may trade him for the dog

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 19th, 2010, 12:25 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4himies View Post

Maybe he is afraid you may trade him for the dog
You've got something there L4H, I'd never considered that.....Hmmmmm, anything is possible
Old July 19th, 2010, 02:09 PM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris21711 View Post
You've got something there L4H, I'd never considered that.....Hmmmmm, anything is possible

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old July 19th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckypenny View Post
A warm welcome to our forum, cjbisco. Your, and your fellow rescuers', dedication to saving these dogs are worthy of heroes' worship. Thank you .
Ditto on that you guys rock. Just wanted to say that your efforts are truly appreciated and do not go unnoticed
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog