Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 26th, 2004, 11:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Question hardwood floor accidents

What do you find is the best remedie for accidents on hardwood floors? I have been using a store bought enzyme odour eliminator, I just don't know that it's very effective for hardwood floors.

I was a BAD owner!!! Briggs and I have been having a difficult time with her housetraining. It seems as though we have taken a step backwards. I have a very aggrevating and difficult day last week (with work -as usual) and I took it out on her when I came home to find an accident. I scolded her!! (someone slap me!!! ) And now I have made things worse!! She is afraid to do her duty infront of me when I take her out. I feel absolutely horrible and wish for anything that I could turn back the clocks!! Can you please help me gain her trust again?!?!?!
Old July 26th, 2004, 01:24 PM

hope someone can offer help

I too have hardwood floors, and Maggie has had a number of accidents (shes just 10 weeks old, very understandable, since she is just learning to tell me she has to go outside by whinning at the door )...but I thank God I don't have carpets... I have just been mopping the floor with my normal cleaner, but I am all for suggestions!
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

My Chloe did a few peepees on my oak floors when I got her. Like Silvergirl, I just mopped it with regular cleaner. That's the beauty of hardwood floors!

Poor Briggs. These pit bulls are such hot house flowers, aren't they?

Whatever you do, do NOT soothe or comfort her when she acts fearful. Just use a normal and upbeat tone with her,"Come on, let's go!" or whatever you say when you take her out. Praise her when she goes pee just as you did when she was a puppy.

She'll forgive you!
Old July 26th, 2004, 02:18 PM
Senior Contributor

It's kinda funny actually. I know exactly when she's done something wrong. She comes to me at the door and lies down shaking. I ask her to show me what she did wrong and it's like she's having seizure!!! OR she'll stay in her bed and peek at me. She knows she's in the wrong and I just feel absolutely terrible that I let my emotions get teh best of me and scold her. I deserve a spanking.

I never give her much attention when she's upset. I give her a little to calm down and then call her over for hugs!!
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:04 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

WE all have frustrating moments Briggs will forget all about it my friend and as LR says don't console her when she is afraid esp if the fear is unfounded for no reason. That will just reassure her that she has something to be afriad for.

(hugs) some days are just better then others
Old July 26th, 2004, 03:09 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks guys. I feel a little better. You're sweet!
Old July 26th, 2004, 04:17 PM

TKO Orange
It is a natural cleaner, on the bottle it promises to get out any stain, any odour.
I would give it a try. I used it for my geriatric cats accidents and for the rug courtesy of Lindy.
Jane