Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum > Feeding raw food to dogs & cats - B.A.R.F - RMB - Homecooked diet

Old December 7th, 2010, 01:41 PM

Helping my dog through Detox??

Hello all - first post:

6 year old English Springer Spaniel with numerous known environmental allergies. I've put myself through the gauntlet of vets and dermatologists over the years to help Brady as much as I can (with 'ok' results), but it wasn't until recently when I decided to switch him from his premium kibble (Fromms WhiteFish) to raw food (Bravo Raw blends - so far turkey and chicken). I'm really looking to get him off the extreme minimal prescriptions/steroids (prednisone) I've had him on. I've never wanted a long term solution of meds - - hence the switch to raw.

Anyhow, Brady has been on Bravo raw for almost a month now. I noticed some real good improvements immediately (ears really improved, paws not irritated at all, no eye goobers, coat got real shiny, dropped a few unhealthy pounds) but this last week has been really bad. He's been so irritated and I've done everything I can for him. Every square inch of his body itches, his ears have started to be high maintnence again - - he's just really uncomfortable.

I've read as much as I can about detox - I guess I'm just looking to be "talked away from the edge" of bailing out of the raw food switch. He loves the food - didn't experience any digestive issues. He's still eating, drinking and pooping. His skin is just very annoyed, clammy, pink, warm, itchy and especially this time of the year - that's not normal.

Can anyone attest to the hesitation I'm going through? Advice? Does this all sound normal?

--Hope I've given ample information.

Last edited by stoke21; December 7th, 2010 at 02:12 PM.
Old December 7th, 2010, 01:53 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Sounds like your dog has an allergy to something in the Bravo. Have you tried doing your own raw for your dog? That way you know exactly what Brady is eating and can control it 100%. You will never be totally aware of ingredients by doing prepared raw.
Common allergens for dogs are chicken, grains, corn, dairy products, etc. If the raw you are feeding contains any of that it would explain Brady's problems.

Have you read this site? http://www.k9web.com/dog-faqs/medica...allergies.html Maybe it can give you some helpful info.

Hopefully someone with experience in dealing with food allergies will be along soon.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:00 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. Over the years of testing, we never came across any food allergies - only environmental. I'd like to think we can rule out the possibility of a food allergy, but I realize that's something to keep in mind. I haven't tried preparing homemade raw, yet - just getting started so the Bravo blend is where I've started. Started him off with Turkey but working in Chicken (as of now) but plan on also using lamb, rabbit and bison where it needs to be varied a bit.

I'll check out that link you included as well.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:09 PM

To follow up a bit (after reading that link):

Brady has been diagnosed with both Inhalant allergies (treated with mainly Symptomatic Therapy as well as Immunotherapy/Antigen shots) as well as Flea bite allergies (do my best to maintain a flea defense regimen). AGAIN - NO FOOD ALLERGIES KNOWN.

Just a bit more information for those who can help.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:12 PM
Senior Contributor

PLEASE let me know how it goes. I am in a similar situation. Steroids have to be weaned off slowly. I keep trying to cut back but end up in the same place. I've tried commercial raw but not homemade. I too spent lots of $$$$ at the vets.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoke21 View Post
Over the years of testing, we never came across any food allergies - only environmental. I'd like to think we can rule out the possibility of a food allergy, but I realize that's something to keep in mind.
What kind of allergy testing was done? There really is no accurate allergy test for food other than doing an elimination diet (novel protein/carb source, no treats, for several weeks). Might be a good idea to try raw rabbit or venison with little to no plant matter and see how that goes.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

You are aware that dogs, like humans, can develop allergies over time? Also, allergy testing is not always 100% accurate. I know there is another thread going on with almost the same issues where they speak on that.
Have you considered doing an elimination diet where you just feed one unique protein source (not turkey/chicken/fowl) and one veggie (no starches) and slowly add foods? Maybe start with rabbit and carrots.
Check out some of the extensive threads in this section. I'm sure they will be a lot of help with all the info supplied.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
What kind of allergy testing was done? There really is no accurate allergy test for food other than doing an elimination diet (novel protein/carb source, no treats, for several weeks). Might be a good idea to try raw rabbit or venison with little to no plant matter and see how that goes.
Blood tests, skin scrapings, allergen/skin testing. Like I mentioned, they had to find out what in the environment he was allergic to in order to treat him with the antigens that he has.

Good suggestion to go with the rabbit and venison.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14+kitties View Post
You are aware that dogs, like humans, can develop allergies over time? Also, allergy testing is not always 100% accurate. I know there is another thread going on with almost the same issues where they speak on that.
Have you considered doing an elimination diet where you just feed one unique protein source (not turkey/chicken/fowl) and one veggie (no starches) and slowly add foods? Maybe start with rabbit and carrots.
Check out some of the extensive threads in this section. I'm sure they will be a lot of help with all the info supplied.
Correct - well aware. Before sticking with Fromms Whitefish for the majority of his life, I did a pretty good shuffle of a few different commercial kibble diets and proteins (with the help of his dermatologist). At that time, we ruled out food allergies. I realize they can be developed over time, but as I mentioned earlier - for now assuming that's not the issue and focusing more on his detox. Besides, his current issues - I believe - have to do with his transition from kibble to raw. I suppose "one thing at a time"

If you could link me to the other thread you're thinking of - I'd appreciate it. Thanks again.
Old December 7th, 2010, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty11 View Post
PLEASE let me know how it goes. I am in a similar situation. Steroids have to be weaned off slowly. I keep trying to cut back but end up in the same place. I've tried commercial raw but not homemade. I too spent lots of $$$$ at the vets.
Very frustrating, right? Good luck - I'll keep things posted as much as possible.