Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 7th, 2004, 10:07 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

Talking Dog has bloodshot eyes - Answered by Dr. Slome

Hi, I have always noticed that my two year old pointer had had slightly bloodshot eyes but only in the evenings and nights. The last two nights I have noticed that the whites of his eyes are very red. He has absolutley no discharge from his eyes and he isn't showing any signs of discomfort or temperment change. I was just wondering if dogs can get eye strain or if maybe his eye sight is going and I will have a blind dog in the future (don't get me wrong I would never give him up or put down because he may become blind...he would learn to adapt and so would we and I would love him as much as I do now). Thanks for any input on this...oh for a further note the vet said there is limited tests she can do for sight.
Old November 7th, 2004, 10:34 PM
banned user

Hi
Does he feel feverish? It may be an underlying infection that has spread...to the blood.
Please seek the advice of a vet as soon as possible.
Old November 7th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I have always noticed that my two year old pointer had had slightly bloodshot eyes but only in the evenings and nights
This is just a random thought, but do you use a choke chain when you walk him?
Old November 7th, 2004, 10:46 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

yes we do...he walks great now without it but up until about 6 months ago he was on a choke chain
Old November 8th, 2004, 02:53 PM
Mocha and Oscar's mommy

not likely

I don't think it is an infection that has spread at all, he has had it all his life and like I said there is no change in temperment of personality...I just wanted to know if maybe he has an eye condition
Old November 8th, 2004, 09:20 PM

Well if you made him stop drinking....................................
Old November 16th, 2004, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Vision tests for blindness are always difficult but I would be concerned about nightblindness causing strain. Vision may be reduced during the night but fine during the day. Tests that can be carried out would entail an obstacle in light and then in a dimmed environment or involved dropping a cotton ball in front of the eye to watch the movement etc.

To get a better idea of the actual integrity of vision and health of the eye, a full opthalmoscopic exam including visualising the structures of the back of the eye - the retina and optic nerve, would be required.

It is not a secret that most veterinarians have a weak point with eyes since the training of the eye at the universities is really not comprehensive enough. You may want to find a Veterinarian that is more experienced with eyes, or you may want to express concern to your Veterinarian and ask her for a referral to an Ophthalmologist.

Martin Slome DVM

Centre Street Animal Hospital
7700 Bathurst Street
Units 40-42
Thornhill, On.
L4J 7Y3
Tel: (905) 771-9855
Old February 17th, 2008, 02:12 PM

Red eyes

my dog has red eyes also. she has never been on a chain in her life they dont seem to bother her, my other puppy is starting to get red eyes too. could it be their breed...... i have pit bulls
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:09 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumpy1985 View Post
my dog has red eyes also. she has never been on a chain in her life they dont seem to bother her, my other puppy is starting to get red eyes too. could it be their breed...... i have pit bulls
We've found that dust in the environment can cause bloodshot eyes, as can allergies. A couple of the dogs we adopted had red droopy eyes when they first came, but after a few weeks here, the eyes cleared up. The difference was that there was more dust and dirt for them to get into in their old yard, and it had been irritating their eyes.

If it is just an irritation, you might want to try irrigating their eyes with sterile saline, which you can buy at a drugstore or a place like WalMart. (Make sure not to get the solution with added cleansing/sterilizing agents for contacts--you just want sterile saline with nothing added.) It might take a while for them to get used to having their eyes done. Ours hated it at first But if we used an eye-dropper and kept it hidden until just before we put in the drops, we were able to sneak up on them.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old February 17th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Senior Contributor

dry eye (keratoconjunctivits sicca (KCS) causes eyes to be red but often, not always, has discharge associated. There are tests any vet can do to check for this a Schirmer tear test, it's not too expensive to have done and as far as I know any vet can do it (it's pretty simple).

I could see it getting worse later in the day cause their eyes have been open longer, just like people, after some "shut eye", tear production builds up and things aren't so bad. My vet told me to watch for red eye whites as a number one sign of this.

Something simple that you could rule out.... and fairly easy to treat. There are long term complications with untreated dry eye, incl. blindness.

and Hazels eye drop suggestion will help, though there are other ointments (cyclosporine - optimune) that treat dry eye specifically
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:21 PM

my puppy

my pupppy's eye's Whites are bright red.it happen a couple days ago.he was playing with my other dogs and when i brought him back i notice he was limping.i started to worry so i started to check him. when i look at his eyes i noticed there was a little more red than usual. i thought it would go away.the next day he was still limping and his eyes were now bright red all over. i also notice that he he was not the energetic puppy i usual see.people keep on saying its nothing it will pass,but im starting to worry. he keeps slipping on the floor and whenever i have to put him in his cage i have to make sure his bed is in there so he wont slip. he going to the bathroom just fine though. im really starting to get worry.
Old January 8th, 2010, 03:50 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

If it were me, wolfraven, I'd be making a vet appt for him as soon as possible. This could be something serious.

I hope your pup is okay! Please let us know what your vet says!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old March 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM

My 4 and 1/2 month old Bernese Mountain Dog has been getting bloodshot eyes for the last month. Mostly in the evening. My vet said to make sure I was giving her a large breed puppy food and to give her some calcium pills but this hasn't been helping. They don't seem to bother her but she is tiered a lot, but then she is growing too. My vet wasn't to concerned but I keep wondering if I should be.
Old March 15th, 2010, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDB View Post
My 4 and 1/2 month old Bernese Mountain Dog has been getting bloodshot eyes for the last month. Mostly in the evening. My vet said to make sure I was giving her a large breed puppy food and to give her some calcium pills but this hasn't been helping. They don't seem to bother her but she is tiered a lot, but then she is growing too. My vet wasn't to concerned but I keep wondering if I should be.
She should be checked for entropion (lids curve inward causing eyelashes to irritate the eye) which is pretty common in berners. That will cause bloodshot eyes. If it's bad it requires surgery, if it's mild they usually suggest to leave it alone.

DO NOT give your berner calcium pills. I'm not sure why your vet suggested that. Excess calcium can cause growth problems in large breed dogs. Where is your breeder? They should be available to ask some of these questions...
Old March 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM

Thank you for the advice. I was very hesitant about the calcium pills myself. Didn't seem to make much sense. I have heard of the eye lid problem but they look fine. Will I be able to tell if this is the cause?
Old March 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Senior Contributor

If it's mild you may not be able to tell yourself. Most berners seem to have it very mildly and it will indeed cause bloodshot eyes sometimes. If it becomes severe as they age it will require surgery. If you mention it to a good vet they should know what you're talking about and be able to check.
Old February 10th, 2011, 07:25 PM

Red eyes and discharge

My puppy Goat is about 7 months old and over the past number of days has had reddened eyes and fairly regular yellowish discharge (looks like sleep). He is a husky German Sheppard and lab mix breed if that's relevant. It seemed to happen the day after he had a play date with my friends puppy where they played with paws and love bites for a number of hours, sometimes going for the eyes (as dogs seem to enjoy doing). With the recent snowfall he has also been burrowing in the snow and sticking his head in the drifts. I was wondering if these are likely the cause of irritation and if eye drops might be an appropriate first step before seeing the vet. He seems as energetic as ever and no obstruction to his vision is evident.

Thanks in advance

Darcy and Goat
Old February 11th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorafactory View Post
My puppy Goat is about 7 months old and over the past number of days has had reddened eyes and fairly regular yellowish discharge (looks like sleep). He is a husky German Sheppard and lab mix breed if that's relevant. It seemed to happen the day after he had a play date with my friends puppy where they played with paws and love bites for a number of hours, sometimes going for the eyes (as dogs seem to enjoy doing). With the recent snowfall he has also been burrowing in the snow and sticking his head in the drifts. I was wondering if these are likely the cause of irritation and if eye drops might be an appropriate first step before seeing the vet. He seems as energetic as ever and no obstruction to his vision is evident.

Thanks in advance

Darcy and Goat
Yellowish discharge equals infection. He needs a script not over the counter stuff. Eyes are tricky and if he has a scratch at all then certain products can damage the eye. Sorry but off to the vets is the only answer.