Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 28th, 2012, 06:34 PM

lysine for nasal congestion?

My cat Kitty has an upper respiratory infection. The vet checked her out today and said her lungs are clear and she doesn't have a fever. She is taking Clavamox twice per day for next 7 days. This is second time that she has had a URI. The last one took quite some time to clear up. Her eyes and her nose are runny but her appetite is still good. I have read in a few places that Lysine may help her. Has anyone on here had good results treating URI with Lysine? Is it better to get the lysine that comes in treat form or the powder that goes in the food? I have to give Kitty several pill pockets a day (she takes Pepcid, prednisolone, and amitryptiline daily) she loves them, so I could also do a pill form if such a thing exists.
Old August 28th, 2012, 10:52 PM
Senior Contributor

I would just get the L-lysine powder (or tablets, which can be crushed into a powder) from a health food store and mix that into some wet food a couple times a day. You'll want to use about 500mg twice a day while there are symptoms, and possibly a maintenance dose of around 250-500mg/day to help lessen future incidents. Stress can also play a role in URIs, so that might be something else to try to minimize.

http://holisticat.com/uri.html

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old August 29th, 2012, 10:40 PM

I have a cat that has had 2 severe uppers over her lifetime. She now is always snotty. We take her into the bathroom with us when we shower so she can benefit from the humidity. We also give lysine. We don't see any change in her condition.

My experience shouldn't prevent you from trying it though. It isn't terribly expensive so it won't hurt to try
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."
Old August 30th, 2012, 08:57 PM
Kitty pimp

lysin is good for herpes in cats i use it 250 mg a day and sometimes it works esp with herpes
i don't think it works on other viruses though