Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old February 29th, 2008, 01:01 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Crosspost (warning- could be disturbing)

Crosspost

MSPCA Barnoti in the news, again

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://montreal.ctv.ca/cfcf/news/cfcf#news_19312

To be continued tomorrow

Montreal SPCA: Shelter in Crisis

CTV News has obtained new information about a financial crisis at the controversial Montreal SPCA.

Sources tell CTV News the SPCA is more than $1 million in debt. A U.S. firm has since assumed that debt. Last August, more than a dozen staff were laid off in Montreal to cut costs. Critics say the layoffs are a sign of mismanagement.

Barnoti's big bonuses
An analysis by CTV News shows questionable spending at the Montreal organization.

According to confidential documents, SPCA director Pierre Barnoti was given three bonuses of $25,000 each in 2004, 2005 and 2006 for "amazing progress." At the same time, current and ex-employees complain about no money for computers or staff training.

We reported earlier that Barnoti has declared $128,000 in travel expenses in the last few years. And although Barnoti won't confirm it, CTV News also reported last year that Barnoti's annual salary is $120,000 plus perks such as a car subsidy and personal insurance.

Response
The SPCA maintains that its care of animals has not been affected by the financial problems. Barnoti refused to comment on the latest revelations. But the company's law firm says "all financial and operational issues have always been ... dealt with in a timely and competent fashion by the SPCA's directors."

Watch video
http://montreal.ctv.ca/cfcf/video_popup?news_id=19312

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~

Last edited by happycats; February 29th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:04 PM
-

happycats , this was from almost 2 years ago .... has there been organisation for a new demonstration ?
Old February 29th, 2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
happycats , this was from almost 2 years ago .... has there been organisation for a new demonstration ?

ooopppsssss sorry, I crossposted the wrong thing !! (now fixed)That's what I get for trying to work AND post at pets.ca!!! I should quit work, so I'd have more pets.ca time

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old February 29th, 2008, 09:07 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycats View Post
ooopppsssss sorry, I crossposted the wrong thing !! (now fixed)That's what I get for trying to work AND post at pets.ca!!! I should quit work, so I'd have more pets.ca time
Oh but you know ... I made the connection this afternnon , what you posted ,I got an e-mail yesterday by a friend in Ontario (ex member here , being sued by a puppy mill) a wonderful rescue lady from Ontario was just granted the ok to sue Quebec about the puppy mill situation .... to Nicole !