Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 12th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Something that's been on my mind...

On every dog/pet related board I visit, there are always forums dedicated to training. I'm curious, without asking each person who responds to a question for their full "credentials" so to speak, how do you suppose a new pet owner can decide what information they receive is "good" information that will actually help them? I'm talking about the newbies who have never had a pet before and who really don't know much of anything about anything to do with pets and would be just as likely to accept bad advice as good. From time to time I read things that make me wonder just how much does the responder really know about what they're talking about? For instance, one that comes to mind is a guy who claims to be a trainer (not from this board, it's another one I visit) and yet has posted several messages about trouble with his own dogs. To me, that's a red flag. Sure it's great even for trainers to bounce ideas off of others if they're having some difficulties with a particular case/client, but for it to keep happening (several different issues with different dogs of his own in that case)? I'm not sure I'd want to take that "trainer's" advice if he's having problems with his own dogs. On the internet anyone can claim to be anything, trainers included. Just because you give yourself a title doesn't mean you know what you're talking about. How often do we hear about bad experiences someone had with some so-called "trainer" and all the advice we give is RUN the other way. And that's even from bad experiences in an actual class with some yahoo, not just advice given online. I've had dogs all my life and feel I know enough to take some people's advice with a grain of salt so to speak, or disregard what seems to be bad advice, and know when I need to seek out an expert when I want to train for something specific. What about those who are just starting out and really have no idea of what they're doing and who's advice to take? I wonder if we could compile a list of tips for the newbies seeking advice, to help them learn to sort through what they are told and differentiate between the good advice and the bad...I dunno, it was just a thought

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com