Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old April 18th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Senior Contributor

dog bites womans nose

no I don't only post disgusting threads about dogs attacking, but thought this one worthy, everyone says only pitbull attacks get written up....this was not a pitbull.

http://www.ottawasun.com/news/ottawa.../18026681.html

Friday started out pretty well for Anne Riel.

She was given a customer service award at the Home Depot where she’s worked as a greeter and sales associate for nearly a year.

Then, half an hour before her shift was to end, she greeted an elderly woman who was pushing a cart carrying a small dog.

“I petted her dog and as I slightly bent my head towards the dog, the Shih Tzu leaped out and bit me in the face,” said Riel, 39.

“He literally jumped up and bit my nose off. It was bleeding everywhere,” she said.

Co-workers rushed to her aid.

But the dog’s owner, Riel said, tried to bolt.

“She never stopped to see if I was OK,” she said.

“If the ambulance lady hadn’t told her to wait for police, she was leaving as if nothing happened.”

Ottawa Paramedics arrived within five minutes and treated Riel.

“She had a skin tear and penetration of the left nostril,” said superintendent of operations Garth Tourangeau.

Riel was taken to the Ottawa Hospital where plastic surgeons were called in.

“They sewed it together with seven stitches,” Riel said.

“There’s a big chunk missing off the front of my nose.”

Riel said she’ll need at least three more surgeries — and after the first one, she’s not happy.

“The five or six freezing needles, it was like hell,” she said. “The pain — childbirth was nothing compared to that pain.”

Riel said she’s furious with the dog’s owner.

“She gets to sit at home and get away with it while I’m in so much pain,” she said.

Riel meets with bylaw officers on Tuesday and she wants the Shih Tzu put down.

She’s just glad her four-year-old daughter, Gabrielle, wasn’t the one petting the dog.

“If that was my little girl, she’d have no face left,” she said.

The matter is “under investigation by bylaw,” said city spokesman Barre Campbell.

Riel returns to work Monday and she’s anxious to see her customers.

“I just like it there,” she said.

“At least (the dog) didn’t ruin my smile.”
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:48 AM

Yessss!

Not that im happy about the attack,but thank god they finally published the dogs breed when it wasnt a pitty or look alike. Im so happy about this article getting published(not happy with incident) This happened here in Ottawa too,the article even has an after pic with the 7 stitches. Lets hope this helps change peoples views a little.
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon W View Post
Not that im happy about the attack,but thank god they finally published the dogs breed when it wasnt a pitty or look alike. Im so happy about this article getting published(not happy with incident) This happened here in Ottawa too,the article even has an after pic with the 7 stitches. Lets hope this helps change peoples views a little.
I agree, if all dog bites were in the media spotlight, then pitties may not look so bad

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Senior Contributor

often our two papers carry articles on dog bites that would be of interest that don't involve pits, thought I'd share one of them.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Senior Contributor

You know,even "my" little Bailey has lunged at strange people on our walks,she will bark and growl,it's very embarassing and were she a pittie,she would more than likely be reported.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
You know,even "my" little Bailey has lunged at strange people on our walks,she will bark and growl,it's very embarassing and were she a pittie,she would more than likely be reported.
Hahaha dont get me started. My Lola is boxer mix and looks pitty I get harassed allll the time. And she senses this and isnt sure what to do because im telling her not to act on her instinct that something is wrong(when im being yelled at by 2 or 3 people just fot walking her....I now have to teach my dog not to do the same things,she doesnt really bark or growl,sometimes if the person is terrified and has a dog,the dog acts sketchy and she senses this and warns them she knows.) Put listens right away if i tell her to stop,stop and enough are her how should i put it i guess submition words. She well stop and sit,then wait for her next order. I had to change apartments to a different floor just because of someone that was harassing me and making false complaints. I had to be investigated by SPCA.

Everyday is a challenge when I moved back to my middle class neighbourhood,someone always says or does something.
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:43 AM
chronically insane.

While I have had an occasional pit bull kind of go after me.... that has been because of owner problems.. I live near Camden NJ and the inner city people like to bulk up their pits and walk them around town and show them off and here and there I've had a few kind of lunge at me but not really to attack but just to scare me.

As for dogs that have officially bitten me... a teacup yorkie attacked my hand before.. but because it was so small it didn't draw blood just left some scratches and marks... and the attack was a vicious attack. My boss was bit badly by a poodle before too. As for other dogs that routinely go after me with intent to bite-

#1 would have to be Chihuahuas with yorkies right behind... Poodles get pretty nasty too. I've had my fair share of fluffy little dogs (malteses and whatnot) who have lunged at either my hands or face with intent to bite.

The only "big dogs" I am somewhat wary of now are german shepherds... mainly because where I live they are becoming sort of a popular dog as a status symbol and people often purchase them from pet stores and puppy mills where obviously they are terribly inbred and then they never bother to train the dogs and keep them chained up outside their houses to show how 'tough' they are... so I've had a few GSD that have tried to attack me within recent times.. same with dobermans, chows, akitas and sharpeis.... pit bulls are pretty dang low on my list of dogs to watch out for.

~ RIP Timmy ~ May 2009 - November 6th 2009
Old April 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathryn View Post
While I have had an occasional pit bull kind of go after me.... that has been because of owner problems.. I live near Camden NJ and the inner city people like to bulk up their pits and walk them around town and show them off and here and there I've had a few kind of lunge at me but not really to attack but just to scare me.

As for dogs that have officially bitten me... a teacup yorkie attacked my hand before.. but because it was so small it didn't draw blood just left some scratches and marks... and the attack was a vicious attack. My boss was bit badly by a poodle before too. As for other dogs that routinely go after me with intent to bite-

#1 would have to be Chihuahuas with yorkies right behind... Poodles get pretty nasty too. I've had my fair share of fluffy little dogs (malteses and whatnot) who have lunged at either my hands or face with intent to bite.

The only "big dogs" I am somewhat wary of now are german shepherds... mainly because where I live they are becoming sort of a popular dog as a status symbol and people often purchase them from pet stores and puppy mills where obviously they are terribly inbred and then they never bother to train the dogs and keep them chained up outside their houses to show how 'tough' they are... so I've had a few GSD that have tried to attack me within recent times.. same with dobermans, chows, akitas and sharpeis.... pit bulls are pretty dang low on my list of dogs to watch out for.
I had one GSD attack Lola in my old neighbourhood,and 2 at my parents neighbourhood that attaked both Lola,and Bruin.
Old April 18th, 2011, 11:42 AM

I wonder if this woman asked if it was okay to pet the dog..... Even having a big gsd, some people think its okay to pet anything furry.... Or to let their kids run screaming and waving towards us wanting to say hi to the doggy..... I find that like wih all dog bite articles, all we get is a "poor victim" perspective.... These articles make me mad..... Why is she asking to put the dog down.... There may be options to help this dog (ie muzzle outside).....

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old April 18th, 2011, 01:56 PM

In my opinion, the issue is also why did this woman bring this dog into the store in the first place. You know people are going to try to pet it. As a responsible owner, it is also up to you to not put your dog in these types of situations. We don't know the history of the dog, obviously it has some issues.

Slave to Maxwell
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:13 PM

Thats the problem with this article... We dont know wht happened, the history of the dog or anything else that is important.... i also dont agree that just because someone brings a dog to a store, that it should carry an expectation of dog getting petted....

I wish more details were released with bite articles... That would make it easier for people to know what to make of the situation....

“Dogs believe they are human. Cats believe they are God.”

"The average dog is a nicer person than the average person."
Old April 18th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Obviously we don't know both sides of the story and the news will always write what sells, however....I don't particulary like people who just assume that they can just walk up to a dog, regardless of size and start petting it... "bend towards the dog" no less....she was just playing russian roulette...a dog is an animal, and animals can be unpredictable!!!!!! especially when you are in their face.....making eye contact and reaching out!!!this is not a human baby!!!!!!

Her actions = death of another dog...who may have just been doing what they usually do ....read body language....folks, start understanding body language and what it means to dogs, cats, or even humans!!!!

Human story that could have turned ugly...if my daughter was a dog I guess!!!

When my daughter was just a few months old a lady approached the buggy and just bent over to ooowww and ahhhh her...( without asking )well unbeknown to her my daughter was a few seconds away from throwing up....another body language I know how to read....needless to say, she got it all over her hand and sleeve....I'm glad she didn't bite her; would she be have thrown in jail? would I have been thrown in Jail? put down?.....
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM
Doggie Wench

Like KarineB, I don't think the dog should have been in the store (I don't think dogs allowed in stores anyways ). Second, as Masha stated, why did the employee think it was ok to pet the dog?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
Obviously we don't know both sides of the story and the news will always write what sells, however....I don't particulary like people who just assume that they can just walk up to a dog, regardless of size and start petting it... "bend towards the dog" no less....she was just playing russian roulette...a dog is an animal, and animals can be unpredictable!!!!!! especially when you are in their face.....making eye contact and reaching out!!!this is not a human baby!!!!!!
No kidding. I certainly hope that the employee, at the very least, learned how threatening her actions (through body language) were to the dog in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16 View Post
When my daughter was just a few months old a lady approached the buggy and just bent over to ooowww and ahhhh her...( without asking )well unbeknown to her my daughter was a few seconds away from throwing up....another body language I know how to read....needless to say, she got it all over her hand and sleeve....I'm glad she didn't bite her; would she be have thrown in jail? would I have been thrown in Jail? put down?.....
Which brings up a wonderful memory I have of my son when he was a toddler. He was sitting in the grocery cart, a woman just came up to us and, before I knew it, she was reaching out to touch his face. He growled and snapped at her hand . The look on her face was priceless .
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

LP, now there's a child who's been around dogs a lot. ROFL. Too funny!

Karine, I agree totally with what you said. I have never made a habit of taking dogs shopping or anywhere they'd get attention from non doggy people, and especially now I have a crowd pleasing dog like the shelties.
Old April 18th, 2011, 07:56 PM
Doggie Wench

GF, what makes it funnier is he didn't grow up with dogs .
Old April 18th, 2011, 08:32 PM

The store did say that there is a no dogs allowed sign,but that they allowed dogs as long as they were on leash and close by owners side. Head office is now re evaluating the policy. So yeah bigggg mistake on the stores part as well. Unless the dog was a service dog.
Old April 18th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

I read through all the comments on that link. It went from "kill all tzu's" to "blame the victim" to "its the elderly womans fault" to.... sheesh

Little dogs can be quite aggressive, its cute right? I can't begin to tell of how many times small dogs have had me cornered in peoples yards lunging and the whole 9 yards. Many people baby small dogs causing more problems,
Now, the woman who is now missing the tip of her nose, clearly had no buisness leaning in towards the dog face first like that. Now, she see's potential for $$$ over her stupidity.
The elderly woman should not have had the dog in the store, but the store should be enforcing their policy and not allowing any dogs in the store.
There are just so many factors that lead up to the events of that day. all in all though it seems to boil down to poor judgement all around. If you ask me the Shih tzu was set up to fail, and fail it did. Its not the dog, the owner or the "victims" fault IMO, but it is the dog, the owner and the "victims" fault in a way. All 3 of them aided in the events of that day in their own way, sadly, the dog is always the loser in cases like these.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:35 AM

Dogs don't need to go shopping

I only take Lucy into the pet store. She cannot push a cart or hold a shopping basket! So now employees have to take "dog greeting course" - come on! This woman is scarred for life. Don't put the dog down, of course, but fine the owner! The greeters have a sh-----y job in the first place, at minimum wage.... they should not be put at risk just because they don't ask if they can touch a pet. If we don't want people to touch our pets - how about we try and advertize this whenever we can..... "people, don't touch our pets or greet them without permission" - we know that's the correct procedure but I bet 95 per cent of people, especially non-dog owners, don't. I try and put myself in the employee's position as there was NO reason for the dog be to shopping. Completely avoidable situation.
Old April 19th, 2011, 10:49 AM

Employee should be compensated

...... seeking $$$$ for her stupidity? Maybe she purposely set it up to get some money?????
Owner had dog, owner took dog into store, owner was close enough to greeter that dog was close enough to be "greeted" and bit employee on face. It is was it is - dog should not have been in store; greeter is supposed to greet and maybe no one told her that included dogs and children who kick! Sorry, but I am very protective of my nose .... regardless, and she is the one that was hurt, not the dog or the owner and should be compensated... everyone pays enough insurance for these types of occurrences.....
Attached Images

Old April 19th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Senior Contributor

I take brina there all the time, but never my last dog because she was not a people dog......the owner should be blamed more so than the greeter in my opinion, she knew her dog was capable of biting.....
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Geeze you're all missing the boat here! There needs to be a total ban on Shih Tzu's. It's as clear as the nose on that ladies face! Okay, kidding, but seriously this is why breed specific bans are so bloody ridiculous. Home Depot will let you bring your dog in, but it doesn't mean you necessarily should. We need a ban on stupid owners. Oh and that ladies face does not look like she got nipped either. That was a pretty nasty bite. The owner of the dog does need to be held responsible, and the dog probably does need a muzzle (thanks to the stupid owner).
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:26 AM
Senior Contributor

She was lucky it wasn't a bigger dog, I recall that a Bull Terrier on a bench at one of our Royal showss bit a child in the face. Nasty! Poor woman though, so many things there that shouldn't have happened but you are right Inthedoghouse , she does deserve compensation.
Old April 19th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Senior Contributor

dog bites woman's nose

Idiot greeter should have asked to say hi to dog or had permission to pet it from owner not stick her nose in its face, she has now learned the hard way. Had this been a larger breed I doubt she's have a mouth left to complain. No sympathy on my part except for the dog and her elderly owner.
Old April 19th, 2011, 06:35 PM

I call for a ban on shih tzus!! and make them wear a muzzle! ..or walk in a hamster ball at all times while off owner's property! Why do people even get these nasty creatures.

All good points about stupidity all around and both parties can be blamed for what happened, but what bothers me most about this story is that the dog's owner tried to take off.
Old April 19th, 2011, 07:07 PM

I just listened to a radio interview with the woman and here are a few more details to the story.

A few other employees attempted to pat the dog and he growled at them. The lady was asked that if the dog was not friendly and continued to growl at people she would need to take it out of the store. When asked why she brought the dog with her, she said it was because he likes to look at things.

The lady that got bit approached the lady with the dog inside the top basket of the kart and handed her a flyer. She said hello and reached over to pet the dog, but when she touched him, he leaped out of the kart and bit her on the face. When they reviewed the security footage, she never bent over as she thought she did, the dog actually leapt up and out of the kart.
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer View Post
Geeze you're all missing the boat here! There needs to be a total ban on Shih Tzu's.

YEAHHHH PROTESTTTT!!!!!!!!! BAN ALL SHIH TZUSSS THEY ARE DEADLY!!!

HAHAH and i LOVE the hampster ball comment! PRICELESS!

haha joking,but a sad realization that maybe we(society) is a little misinformed when it comes to attacks and dogs. Majority of the dogs are not full of muscle,big,killer pitbulls or ones that look like them. They are actually those "tiny little cute itty bitty innocent doggies" that you least suspect...

Not to mention just flat out vicious...most pittys or even other bigger dogs tht have attacked dont usually go for the face,they usually get a leg,arm,hand,foot,torso,behinde,almost everywhere but the face.
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choochi View Post
I call for a ban on shih tzus!! and make them wear a muzzle! ..or walk in a hamster ball at all times while off owner's property! Why do people even get these nasty creatures.

All good points about stupidity all around and both parties can be blamed for what happened, but what bothers me most about this story is that the dog's owner tried to take off.
I own 3 Shih Tzu's and you want me to kill them? That is like me telling everyone on here that has a pit bull, yea kill them, they bite. I find that comment extremely uninformed and uneducated. The lady, yea I feel bad for her. But compensation will pay for her to have a face lift, nose job whatever. She was stupid to pet the dog. The owner was stupid for bringing her dog in there. The real loser..the dog.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else

Last edited by Ford; April 20th, 2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:52 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Shay, I think Choochi was posting tongue-in-cheek as a comment on how useless BSL is...

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 19th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes and perhaps, but I find it extremely offensive and distasteful.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 20th, 2011, 02:04 AM
Senior Contributor

Shaykeija, understandable then how pb enthusiasts lose their sense of humour at the slightest hint of criticism of their breed? You are reacting to one or two comments, we should walk a mile in their shoes, the pb's have been targetted for how long now?
A girlfriend up the road has a Shih Tzu which is an alpha tyrant, and that's actually fantastic, it is teaching her GSD pup to behave, (invaluable) which must be hilarious to watch actually. Every other dog was getting barked at madly, I don't think the pup had been socialised, but the ShihTzu rules the roost and he adores her. The odd couple. My own alpha is the sweetest looking little golden sheltie, and darn her, she is just aching to send visitors packing. She has bitten a friend already, so who dares tell me to shoot her?? It's always the owner to blame, and that was my fault, I should not have let her out till he was gone.
More than one judge has told me that their worst dog for biting at shows is not a big one, it's the Chihuahua.
If there is a no dog rule at that store and the staff aren't told to enforce it, surely they should compensate her for what happened?

Last edited by Goldfields; April 20th, 2011 at 10:33 AM.