Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 19th, 2010, 07:19 PM

Exclamation Dog that is in pain when barking.

hi, I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me.
This weekend we went camping in our trailer and brought my little 15 pound dog with us. we have bunk beds and my dog was on the top bunk. He has been up there before and NEVER even goes close to the edge, plus i was up there with him, BUT i will NEVER do this again, as this time, he JUMPED off!!!

He saw a piece of chip that fell on the ground and jumped for it. I guess he forgot that he was on a bunk bed. He was very dizzy and limped for a few minutes. He wanted to sleep but i didnt let him sleep for a few hours because i feared he had a concussion and there were no vets anywhere nearby.

After about 1 hour he was back to normal. The next day there was NO signs that he had any injuries, he was running around, eating and drinking normally.

BUT now it is monday. we got back yesterday night. He seemed fine, until recently, he seems like he is in pain when he barks!!!! He only barks when someone rings the doorbell but when my sister rang the bell, he barked once and then stopped and starting crying. he tried to bark again, but the same thing happened!!! I am bring him to the vet on thursday, but i was wondering if anyone has any advice or what i should expect? Do you think the pain in barking and the fall could be related?

AND PLEASE, i dont need to hear that he shouldnt have been on the bunk bed. I KNOW he that already and I will never do it again. it was a mistake.

THANK YOU

-Melanie
Old July 19th, 2010, 09:32 PM

I am sorry your dog seems to be in pain....

Can you not get him into the Vet's before Thursday?? There must be an Emergency Clinic in your area?

I have no idea what could be causing the pain, but good luck

Don't let someone become a priority in your life when you are just an option in their life.
Old July 19th, 2010, 10:45 PM

Unfortunately I could only get an appointment for thursday and the emergency clinic is over 45 minutes away BY car and i have no car. He has stopped crying now, its 10:45 pm, the last time someone rang the bell it was around 8pm and he barked but did not cry, but i think he was barking a little different,, a little less loud and a little less high pitched but maybe I am just being paranoid. He does seem to be a little more scarred to bark though, he will bark once or twice very cautiously where as normally he goes nuts when the bell rings
Old July 20th, 2010, 06:12 PM
Floppy Dog

Just a suggestion, have you checked your dog's neck for swelling? Your concern with concussion leads me to suspect that (s)he landed on his/her head? Could (s)he have sprained or pulled a tendon or ligament?

Our dog Lady had trouble barking for several weeks after being attacked by a pit bull, she was bit around the neck and actually had her head in the pit bull's mouth. Her bark gradually came back after the swelling went down.

I try to greet the world like my pets do...boundless enthusiasm, intense curiosity and no concept of yesterday and tomorrow.