Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old June 18th, 2012, 09:49 AM

Issues with sensitive stomach/digestive system

I'm trying to make a long story short here... I've been stuggling to find a food that will help with Charlie's soft stool. We've tried kibbles: Evo Chicken & Turkey (and Weight Managment), Now Grain Free Adult. We've also tried raw: Nature's Variety Instinct Raw (Chicken, Beef, Venison). I do feed some pumpkin at supper time. He seems to do fine for a few weeks and then it starts again.

Last week, he had a very bad week and I spoke to our vet on the phone Friday afternoon. She suspects colitis or IBD but we haven't done any testing yet. She prescribed MediCal Gastro High Energy to stabilize him and recommended that this be his permanent diet. Personally, I don't like the ingredients in that food but if it works, I will give it a try.

The MediCal Gastro food is very expensive ($50 for 4kg/8.8 lbs). I'm looking for an alternative once his situation has stabilized. Is anyone aware of a food made especially for dogs with gastro issues/sensitive stomachs? At this point, I don't care if it's grain free or not, as long as it works and that Charlie can feel good permanently...

Thanks in advance
Old July 21st, 2012, 07:02 PM

Have you tried Go Sensitivity And Shine by Petcurean. Made for sensitive digestive systems and comes in a duck or salmon formula.

I have a dog with sensitive system and I find the simpler formula the better however she has never been diagnosed with IBS but does seem to have colitis if I change things in her diet too much. I haven't figured out exactly what triggers it but it can be hard with so many different ingredients.

I also find she does well on the honest kitchen force but it is pricey.
Old July 21st, 2012, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveCharlie View Post
I'm trying to make a long story short here... I've been stuggling to find a food that will help with Charlie's soft stool. We've tried kibbles: Evo Chicken & Turkey (and Weight Managment), Now Grain Free Adult. We've also tried raw: Nature's Variety Instinct Raw (Chicken, Beef, Venison). I do feed some pumpkin at supper time. He seems to do fine for a few weeks and then it starts again.

Last week, he had a very bad week and I spoke to our vet on the phone Friday afternoon. She suspects colitis or IBD but we haven't done any testing yet. She prescribed MediCal Gastro High Energy to stabilize him and recommended that this be his permanent diet. Personally, I don't like the ingredients in that food but if it works, I will give it a try.

The MediCal Gastro food is very expensive ($50 for 4kg/8.8 lbs). I'm looking for an alternative once his situation has stabilized. Is anyone aware of a food made especially for dogs with gastro issues/sensitive stomachs? At this point, I don't care if it's grain free or not, as long as it works and that Charlie can feel good permanently...

Thanks in advance
How is the water where you live? Are you able to drink it yourself? My water is bad at times and I will give my dog bottled water.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 01:07 AM

Good idea re: checking the water. May be time to switch to filtered. There are a couple of things you may want to try... one is an enzyme, preferably pancreas enzyme. It tends to help a lot with the absorption of food, therefore reducing loose stool. What is his weight like? Does he get into garbage, etc.? Is there anything you give him occasionally that is different than his regular food, bones, etc.?
Roxy- 4 year old Sheltie/Pom
Angel- 12 year old Persian (deseased Dec 6, 2008)

An animal's eyes have the power to speak a great language." ~ Martin Buber