Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:14 AM

Cookie's going under the "knife"!

Cookie has her appointment for spaying, bright and early Monday morning.

I have loads of confidence in my vet, as far as the actual procedure goes, so I'm not worried about that part.

What I am concerned about is the recovery, because she is soooo active, especially with my youngest son.

Well, in all honesty, also because of the terrible time we had with Puss after her lump-removal surgery.

Cookie will have the same bandaging, which is all the way around her lower middle. This drove Puss NUTS, she was NOT a very active cat and she was heavily doped up, but still went ballistic trying to get out of the bandages. I was so scared for her healing because she was so agitated and flipping her body around, contortionist style, to try to be free of the wrapping.

With Puss I confined her to one small room and I stayed in with her and up all night when necessary to try to keep her from causing herself harm.

With Cookie, being so young and so active ... I'm stressing big-time already!

How to get her through the first few days to get her incision(s) and stitches
well on the way to healing properly???
Old October 23rd, 2008, 08:53 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

I don't have any experience with kitties, Puss'FavPerson, but with our dogs there was no bandage and we just watched them to prevent licking. Pain meds can help take the sting of the incision away, too. And if all else failed, we were able to use the Dreaded Elizabethan Collar but I don't know if you can get a cone for a kitty?

Also not sure if it's the same in kitties, but our hardest time was always about 5-7 days out...when the durn incision began to itch!

for a quick and non-traumatic recovery for Cookie!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old October 23rd, 2008, 09:38 AM

Thanks HRP ... our vet does have those collars, but she says usually the bandaging works best.

It's a day surgery, so I'm assuming she'll be sent home with meds to try to keep her calmed for at least the first day after?

Maybe the vet can give me something to keep myself calmed too!
Old October 24th, 2008, 12:19 AM

About 17 years ago was the last time I had a cat in for spaying, my grrl Duffy . At that time there were no bandages, no take home meds not even a cone then.

You can get a cone for Cookie if you think she'll need it, of course it usually has the side effect of calming them down cuz they can't figure out how to walk properly with it one - not being able to see peripherally or feel w/their whiskers.

If she's okay being in the carrier you can use it for short periods of time to calm her if she gets too active, I don't know how big yours is but mine has enough room for Duffy to be able to comfortably stand, turn around & lie down in so it can also be used it to confine her for safety reasons.

Also make sure your son understands they can't play hard until her incision is fully healed

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 24th, 2008, 08:28 AM

My carrier isn't huge, but I think she can still stand up and move a wee bit in it, so I'll keep it nearby. Maybe I'll ask the vet to give me the funny collar, just in case.

I plan to put away all the toys that really get her performing her cirque d'soleil antics for the first few days.

I'm hoping that she's smart enough to lay low when she doesn't feel up to snuff ... wishful thinking???

My son is ten and I have "laid down the law" to him. He's her best bud, and she his, so he assures me he will help take care of her in her time of need!

This wasn't an issue with Puss because she came from a shelter and they held onto her for a week before we were allowed to take her home, and during that time she was spayed and mostly recovered.

Thanks for the support, as usual y'all have helped ease the mind with common sense and your own experience.