Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old August 9th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Blue eyed Labs????

Today at work, as usual i came across a very interesting looking dog, this time it was, what appeared to me, to be a Lab mix. However when i asked the owner what the dog was mixed with to get the blue eye he informed me that she was a purebred black lab!?!?!?!?!
He could see i wasnt really believing him so he flipped her ear up and showed me her tattoo. He said she had papers and everything.
Is this just bad breeding??????

FYI yall, he has never had any intention of breeding her and she is spayed

I just thought it was bizzare
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:37 PM
-

Well, the tattoo doesn't make her a purebred so you should have asked to see her papers.
Old August 9th, 2006, 05:41 PM
cat slave

well some breeders sell their pups already tattooed so maybe that was the relevance of the tattoo showing.

Maybe she had contacts
Old August 9th, 2006, 07:14 PM

She's probably Jemma's sister. How does the tail look? Does it curve over the back at all?

My PB BLF WBE.
lol- my "pure bred" black lab female with blue eyes
(in this case, it's pure bred as upposed to lab bred.)
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:20 PM
-

Quote:
My PB BLF WBE.

Oh, pretty Jemma.

That makes her extra special when you can tack on all those letters after her name.
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Tattooes can be done as a form of recovery(like a microchip) or it can be a registration tattoo used by dog clubs, does the owner know the dogs background and whether the tattoo is actually a CKC registration number. A shelter in the US uses tattooes as a form of indentifying dogs they place, andy breeder of dogs even mixed can tattoo dogs as a means of identifying their dogs, The racing greyhound association has their own set of tattoes which is different than thoses used by the AKC.

Registration papers and ear tattoes don't mean diddly squat when it comes to quality purebreds. Any puppy mill or byb can get ckc registrations for a litter pups as long as they have 2 CKC registered parents, the real proof of quality comes from the pedigree, the pedigree lists any sires and dams in the dogs lineage and behind the names of each will be indications of titles the dog has earned, it is even possible to have mixed dogs registered under the ckc or akc by a "breeder" who may have to 2 registered adults, and those papers are submitted even those possibly the female was bred by another male who may have been a mix instead, the Kennel clubs do not require genetic proof that the sire and dam is who they are claimed to be to register pups.

Green eyes sometimes occur in chocolates but is considered a fault, blue I have not heard of in purebreds
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:54 PM
Honest Contributor

very interesting reading on lab mixes: http://www.labmed.org/aid_mixes.html

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 29th, 2006, 09:17 PM

My blue eyed lab-mix

For sure not pure. No clue really what else is in her.

Lots more pictures coming soon

Last edited by White Wolf; December 29th, 2006 at 11:03 PM. Reason: No self-promotion
Old December 29th, 2006, 09:25 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Holy cow it's Jemma's little sister! Not to threadjack, but Prin, my dad was looking over my shoulder over the holiday when I was surfing the photo forums and he was totally smitten with Jemma (much to Peaches' chagrin lol). Said she was the prettiest dog he'd ever seen

~Those who KNOW better are responsible to TEACH better~

Jenn, Simon and Peaches
12/14/03
Old December 29th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Flyball Mom

I had my husky tattooed when he was eight months old, the vet did it when he was neutered. He was pure bred and papered, but the tattoo had nothing to do with it, just a recovery system, pre-microchip.

It can sort of be seen in this pic (right ear).

My mom's Shih Tzu was tattooed by the breeder, but it is on his belly.
Attached Images

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me

Last edited by Byrd; December 29th, 2006 at 09:32 PM.
Old December 29th, 2006, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawert1 View Post
Holy cow it's Jemma's little sister! Not to threadjack, but Prin, my dad was looking over my shoulder over the holiday when I was surfing the photo forums and he was totally smitten with Jemma (much to Peaches' chagrin lol). Said she was the prettiest dog he'd ever seen
Aww... Jemma would be thrilled to know that there's another man out there with eyes for her.

btw, she is the prettiest doggy ever!
Old December 30th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Senior Contributor

In the dogs parentage it could have very well had a AKC registered silver/chocolate lab with a recessive gene paased on for blue eyes

Quote:
Labrador variants
Although kennel clubs and registries recognize the Labrador in variations of only three colors—black, yellow, and chocolate—some breeders sell light-colored yellow Labrador puppies as a "white" labrador, the dark yellow Labrador puppies as "fox red," or chocolates possessing the dilution factor as "silver Labradors". The "silver" color is nonstandard and would disqualify them as show dogs. Although "silver" labs are currently eligible for AKC registration as chocolate labradors, there remains some debate as to the purity of "silver" labs. The Labrador Retriever Club (parent club to the Labrador Retriever Club in the US) has declared that the "silver" labrador is not a purebred, but rather a creative hybrid. It is their belief, as well as the belief of many breeders, that the "silver" labrador is a result of cross-breeding chocolate labradors with the weimaraner. Whether this breeding was intentional or unintentional is unknown. Kennels often charge greater fees for "silver" labradors, despite their disqualifying color and the LRC's condemnation of the non-standard labrador genetic trait. Another disqualifying factor for chocolate labs (as "silver" is technically classified as chocolate) is any deviation from a hazel or brown eye color. Many "silver" labradors have blue eyes, just like the weimaraner and unlike any other variety of standard labrador. It should be noted that all "silver" labradors are a result of initial interbreeding (father to daughter, brother to sister, mother to son, etc.) to maintain their color and recessive gene traits. The earliest advertisements for "blue" or "gray" labradors date back to the 1950s in the western United States. No "silver" labradors have been known to have been naturally produced outside the United States from native chocolate labrador stock. The US-based kennel where "silver" labradors first appeared also bred weimaraners. Despite the claims made by some unscrupulous "silver" labrador breeders, there is currently no genetic test to prove or disprove that "silver" labradors are purebred.
http://www.silverlabradorinfo.com/

In this article on lab genetic look under c-concentration / modifier

http://www.labbies.com/genetics2.htm

Quote:
Another explanation for silver coat color in Labs would attribute this color to the C locus. There is an allele mutant at the C locus that has been determined to cause silver coat color and blue eyes in dogs. The "cb" allele is believed to be a type of albinism. Since alleles at the C locus influence red pigment only, effects of the "cb" allele should only be observed in dogs homozygous "e" at the E locus. Therefore, a silver Lab would not only have to receive the yellow allele from both parents, but also receive the silver allele from both parents (which is recessive to the common "cch" allele). This allele would explain the silver-toned modification of coat observed in yellow Labs in the presence of the recessive "e" allele, however it would not explain the eumelanin modification in the black or chocolate-based silvers (since the C locus alleles primarily dilute phaeomelanin).

Likewise, the possibility of a "partial loss of function" mutation that may have occurred in the dominant "E" allele resulting in muted tones of eumelanin would not explain the modification of phaeomelanin (yellow).

An alternative explanation for explaining the modification of both eumelanin and phaeomelanin again returns to the wild-type/gain-of-function "E+" allele that encodes for a normal functioning Mc1 receptor. If this allele either occurred as a spontaneous mutation or was introduced into the breed through interbreeding, this might explain the modification occurring in all three colors, particularly when one considers the following:

When one traces the pedigrees of some silver Labs, one finds a history of other color oddities occurring in some related bloodlines to the silver Labs. Occurrences of "black-casting" in chocolates, muted chocolate coloration ("card-board box" coloring), as well as the occasional occurrence of black puppies being whelped from two chocolate parents suggests that these "chocolates" were probably not chocolate at all but rather E+ yellows. As such, it is conceivable that the Agouti alleles could produce an intense red pigment resulting in deep red (interpreted as chocolate especially in the absence of "saddling" modifiers) or diluted, muted red (card board box color) due to further modification by the alleles of the C locus). In black Labs, an ayayEE+ geneotype could produce a muted black color (because of the presence of both receptor types) especially if the alleles at the C locus were cch, thus resulting in a deep charcoal, silvery coat appearance. This suggests a possible role of E+ for the silver coloration as well as for a multitude of other coat color variants that occasionally occur in the breed.

It is considered a fault but yes they can be registered as a purebred they just cannot be shown
"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion." - Unknown
Old December 31st, 2006, 02:27 AM

I have a pure bred black lab - her parents are yellow and black and pure bred as well. When Chloe was first born, she had blue eyes as well. As of the age of 2, she now has brown eyes although at certain angles, she sometimes looks like she still has blue eyes.

Coat wise - she's all black and quite adorable!

I don't really think of her as a "Pure bred" - I just think of her as my Chloe! :love:
Old December 31st, 2006, 12:39 PM

I don't know anymore. The genetics of labs I've learned in school is completely different than what the breed club is saying. So who to believe- the breeders or the scientists and geneticists?
Old December 31st, 2006, 07:00 PM

It could be a spontaneous mutation. Or it could be that the dog isn't really purebred.

Sometime genetic combinations throw up odd colors . . . check out this purebred golden retriever and purebred labrador.

http://www.ashgi.org/color/PHOTOS/So...SpottyFace.jpg

Last edited by LM1313; December 31st, 2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old December 31st, 2006, 08:41 PM

Yeah, I've also heard of dogs being born with brown eyes and with a bit of age, the cells that make the pigmentation fail and the brown gradually fades and leaves the albino blue eye behind.