Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old May 20th, 2003, 09:18 AM

6 month old Mastiff symptoms

My 6 month old 3/4 mastiff, 1/4 rott is sick. It started with red eyes and weakness and what seemed like depression. This was about 10 days ago. At the vet he had a white blood cell count of 4000, swollen lymph nodes especially on his cheeks under the tear ducts, and was diagnosed with uveitis which as I understand is a secondary infection. They extracted fluid from the nodes and had it tested. It showed some mitotic (splitting) cells. He was given cephelexin, 1500mg per day and drops for his eyes. After 3 days he was considerably worse, even fell off the bed and just layed there in a heap. His eyes were better but we had to take him back to the vet. This time a biopsy was performed & a urine distemper test. A chest x-ray showed mild inflamation. Organs are normal. All that day he had a fluid IV and I picked him up about 6pm. That night he was much better and the following morning I thought he would come out of it. But in the last couple of days he has went back down and his nose is very dry, he is weak, he again lost his appetite. The only thing that has seemed to help him was the IV. I am now waiting for the results of the tests, but I have spent $1000 on 2 visits & still have no answers. I don't believe it is lymphoma. I find it hard to believe it is distemper. He is a 75lb, 6 month old very fit & healthy pup with all shots. Any ideas what could be causing this? Is it a bad respiratory infection?