Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:05 PM

Smile Just saying hi and in need of advice....

Hi there

My husband and I have 2 Pappillions. One is 4 and the other is 11 months old, which we recently adopted. They are both girls.

In the last month both of them became sick at the same time. They both show signs of lip - smacking and hard swallowing and seem to lick everything. The older dog also now has watery eyes and they both have itchy bottoms. they also dont seem very interested in water but do munch on ice cubes.

We took both to the vet, they have been on at least 3 anti-botics, some white stuff to coat their throat and stomach and they have gone through de-worming.

The Dr. says that they both have cryptosporidium and have been on tylosing for 10 days and then have to go back for a " poop check".

This whole experience has been upsetting for us and the cost has been huge with limited results.

If anyone could offer some suggestion - I would greatly apprecicate your advice,
Thank you for your time. Lor
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Welcome to the board, Lorsur. If you can give us some more information, it might be helpful.

How was the cryptosporidium diagnosed? As I recall, cryptosporidium is water-borne--did you find the source of it?

Did they only have signs of nausea (lip-smacking, etc) or did they also have diarrhea, vomiting, etc?

Why are they still on an antibiotic? Were the fecal samples still positive for cryptosporidium or was it because they still had symptoms?

Are their only symptoms now the itchiness and watery eyes?

One last question: what do they currently eat?

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:32 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Lorsur, I'm going to move your thread to the health forum

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:02 PM

Smile Hi there

Well, first of all our 4 year old PAP was in pretty good health other than her having pancreatitis which is under control through diet. We then decided to adopt a baby pap wich was neglected( not enough tlc or time for her). We were told that she had all of her shots and had been dewormed etc. Roughly about a month after we had her- the pup had exsplosive poop, Really bad breath, vomiting, didnt want to eat, licking her butt and this(hard- swallowing and licking)( alomost like they have peanut butter stuck to the roof of their mouths. Then about a day or two later our older dog also started to show similar symtoms.So off to the family vet....
Ahhh, there has been so much talk with the Dr. -about what could be causing the dogs to be sick. He felt at first that it might be a bacterial infection. Then he also mention that the dogs could have eaten grass with bird poop on it....
He put them on a varity things..... it seemed every week we were going back to visit him. He said that sometimes these bugs take time to get rid of.
As of now, the only thing that still seems to be an issue with both dogs is-
( them still lip smacking and hard swallowing along with their stomach gurgling)
I have expressed my concern about both dogs still doing this. He has said lets wait and see after the dogs finish taking this Tysolin.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:06 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

The one time we used Tylosin, it did result in some stomach upset in the dog taking it. How long have they been on it?

Did he diagnose the cryptosporidium by fecal sample?

If it is cryptosporidium, it can be very difficult to get rid of--in humans, anyway. There was an outbreak in Milwaukee a few years back and my Dad had a heck of a time getting rid of it....

Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:18 PM

Re: the sick girls

The Dr. said that he did a "poop test" and he said that they have Cryptospoidium .

The only current drug that they are on -is this Tysolin. He does want me to come tonight and pick up this medince to coat their throat and stomach,- for the gurgling.

We have just change their canned food to Prescription diet i/d Canine Gastrointestinal Health, this last week because the other company stopped making their brand of Gastro.

But both dogs were sick prior to us changing their diet.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM

Re: the girls

The Dr. has mention to us that since we have come in to see him. He has had 2-3 other dogs with similar symtoms.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:23 PM

Smile Re: the girls

Their prescription was for 10 days and tomorrow is their last day.

By the way , thank you for all your help!!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:38 PM
The Pack's Head Servant

With luck the symptoms they have now are just from the Tylosin and they'll be better in a few days after getting off it. It's very effective, just hard on their tummies.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:39 PM
Senior Contributor
Tetris Champion, Cell-Out Champion

Hi there
So sorry you are dealing with this. One of our boys was thought to have crypto, but then was diagnosed with Neospora by way of a CSF tap (spinal tap), which our current vets believe was also a misdiagnosis. However, when they first told us he had Crypto, I did a lot of reading on it. Hazel was correct in saying it's very hard to get rid of. I'm a little surprised your vet only has them on one antibiotic. If I remember correctly, it was a combination of 2 antibiotics that was shown to be the most effective treatment. I have it book marked on a different comp. I'll try to see if I still have the link. If so, I'll post it. It gives a lot of good info on many, many things. Good luck, and I hope they both recover soon!

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Ok, found the link!

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body...sporidium.html

This may help you understand it a bit better. My boy ended up having meningoencephalitis. They are quite sure now it was an immune-mediated response to vaccines, not Crypto or Neospora, though they are all tough on the poor babies

"Who can believe that there is no soul behind those luminous eyes!" ~ Theophile Gautier

"Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole" - Ok... whoever said this has never had a sick or special needs baby. They ARE our whole life!

R.I.P. my sweet, handsome Thorin. You are missed dearly Dec. 25, 1999 - Mar. 4, 2012
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:51 PM

Smile Re: the girls

Thank you !!

In the beginning- the girls have been on 3 other antibotics. Each week, when they finished there meds.... and nothing really improved, he would try a different one.

The only thing that they are on now is this Tysolin.... and then when we finish with this drug -- this Tuesday we have to take in another poop sample from both one them.To see if things have improved

We have spent over a $1000. so far. Its shocking......
Old June 23rd, 2011, 04:57 PM

Thank you for all your help!!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I feel your pain
We have spent just under $30,000 in the last 11 months
The link I posted shows that the most effective treatment is Clindamycin and Tylosin together. The bad news with that course of treatment is that Clindamycin is extremely hard on the tummy. I have never used Tylosin, so I wouldn't know personally, but Hazel said it's hard on the tummy as well, so you will need something to help protect thier tummies if this course they're on now isn't effective on it's own. Both of ours have been on Clindamycin at one time or another. We used Fortiflora, but it's a bit of a juggling act. If you give it to close to the antibiotic, it will null any postitive effects, so it has to be spaced out very well. And I'm thinking that the white liquid you're vet is prescribing is Sulcrate. We actually have both of our dogs on that right now as well. One is going through chemo and needs it just to protect his tummy for the first 72 hours after treatment and the other boy just has a ton of different issues. We go through 100ml bottle at least once every month or 2. It has to be given at least an hour prior to any food or medication. We usually do 1 and a half hours just to be safe, but it works wonders! It stops the gurgling/throwing up and allows them to have an appetite if they have lost it due to nausea.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorsur View Post
Thank you for all your help!!
My pleasure! I hope your babies have a speedy and full recovery!

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:18 PM

WOW.... $30,000.

I sure hope things will improve for you !!!

I have to say that when we got our first dog which had the pancreatitis attack, it cost us $2000. then a year later she got into bonemeal and that ended up to cost us another $2000. Both time we had to take her to the emerg vet. I kinda jokingly said to my husband that she is working on becoming the million dollar dog....
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
WOW.... $30,000.

I sure hope things will improve for you !!!

Things always work out, one way or another!

I have to say that when we got our first dog which had the pancreatitis attack, it cost us $2000. then a year later she got into bonemeal and that ended up to cost us another $2000. Both time we had to take her to the emerg vet. I kinda jokingly said to my husband that she is working on becoming the million dollar dog....
LOL... we call our youngest, Nanook (better know as Nookie Monster!) our million dollar dog

They cost us pretty much everything we make, but we don't have any human kids, only the 2 furkids, and you can't take it with you... so we spend it on what makes us happy... our furbabies

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
she got into bonemeal
The kind you use for planting? Or the supplement? We have both of ours on bonemeal in their home cooked diet. It was reccomended by our holistic vet

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:46 PM

Re : the girls

Oh......

The stuff you use for plants outside.It was my fault, I added bonemeal to our garden and didnt know that dogs would be attracked to it. Also I didnt know that you should turn the soil over when you add it.....So our older dog gets up in the middle of the night and goes out the doggie door for a washroom break and a big snack of bonemeal.....
sigh, then she got really sick.....plugged her up and that was the other 2000. vet bill.
Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Oh......

The stuff you use for plants outside.It was my fault, I added bonemeal to our garden and didnt know that dogs would be attracked to it. Also I didnt know that you should turn the soil over when you add it.....So our older dog gets up in the middle of the night and goes out the doggie door for a washroom break and a big snack of bonemeal.....
sigh, then she got really sick.....plugged her up and that was the other 2000. vet bill.
Yikes!!

I didn't know it was harmful. I wonder if it was just the amount? Or the additives in it for conditioning the soil? How scary for you!

Old June 23rd, 2011, 05:58 PM

I think it was the amount she ate. She is a small pappillion- who doesnt seem to have a stop button when it comes to food!!!
Old June 23rd, 2011, 06:20 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I think it was the amount she ate. She is a small pappillion- who doesnt seem to have a stop button when it comes to food!!!
LOL, what dog does have a stop button?