Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old June 24th, 2004, 03:54 PM

Can I make a suggestion?

When we brought home our two puupies we said NO BED no way. Well about a month later when they had learned to play with our heart strings guess what they were in our bed. We soon found all the reasons why we shouldn't do this, not that we had behaviour problems I just agreed with the reasons people presented as to why they shouldn't sleep in bed. Not to mention how much sleep I was loosing by sleeping with 2 puppies. Anyway can you move his crate in your room at night. That is what we did it was a lot of work moving them back and forth but it really worked. That way they couldn't jump up on the bed once we were asleep. They now love it and even when invited in bed they don't stay to long as they prefer to sleep in there crates.

Just thought that might help. Puppies take so much time. I remeber thinking people where crazy with all the suggestions. I mean what harm could sleeping on the bed really do??? Won't they just love me more, and listen better because of this??? But what a difference it makes to follow all the little rules, we have two very well trained, adjusted, and happy puppies.
And much thanks to all the help I received from the people on this board. Couldn't have done it with out you ladies.
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't know if dogs put it together this way or not, but he maybe he realizes a male first fought with you and then won. He's just trying the same technique. People training?
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:18 PM
Senior Contributor

Absolutley will give time and effort,i am gonna call him and see what we can do,and yes i have way spoiled this dog with lots af attention and stuff,i never knew it could lead to this,i thought it was a good thing,i just ordered a video and book about wolves in the pack from amazon,i know that isnt gonna solve problem,just wanted to see how they act in the wild
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I know i always wanted a dog to sleep in my bed,i will get a bed for him to have by mine,i love him dearly and know if i dont do something he is gonna have to go,this is really serious as i have learned.................never really knew how smart they are..
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Here is a good link on NILIF.

link It is a good start.

The books and videos you ordered may not help you as much as you would like.

Jean Donaldson is an excellent source for dog behavior issues. I recommend you get "Culture Clash" and "Mine".
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Iknow they wont,just curious to see pack animals in the wild..
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba that was a good article,he does seem nervous would describe it best............
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:31 PM
Senior Contributor

Lr i printed a bunch of stuff from there to take home,another good link.........
Old June 24th, 2004, 04:46 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Ok u people stop confusing it!

It's LR for LuckyRescue and LavR for LavenderRott!

Or I'll spank u all

Unless u like that sorta thing then I'm just gonna turn and run away like a kid running from the cooties lmfho!
Old June 24th, 2004, 09:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luba
Well said Heather

but LavR I disagree dogs do have emotions, and many of them replicate ours.
Please if you are interested peak at the link below and have a little read.

http://www.ivillage.com/pets/vet/art...a=adid=9208033

This is just one article about it LavR it's very very facinating...

pets often seem to soak up angry, sad or fearful feelings from family members who are experiencing tension or conflict over issues that have nothing to do with the animal. Frequent arguments in the home are especially stressful for a pet, who may react with irritability or fear. Emotional tensions in particular may affect health problems that have either a behavioral component (such as increased aggressiveness, destructiveness or extreme restlessness) or a nervous component (such as irritated skin, ears, bladder and the like). Just as a pet might react to losses, an emotionally stressed animal with a predisposition to skin or bladder problems, for example, might scratch or urinate still more, further irritating the tissues and setting up the conditions for a vicious circle.
I totaly agree. If one of us gets angry, Bentley's barking and growling like crazy. He sences it.
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Senior Contributor

I totally believe they pick up on our feelings also,that is why i said does he even love me,if he did why would he do this..
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Senior Contributor

I don't doubt for a second that dogs don't pick up on our emotions. Missy always greets me at the door with her whole body wagging and a bone or toy in her mouth. But I don't think that they feel emotions like people do.
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

I dont even get that anymore from him,when i let him out of crate in the morning i have to be quick and get a pet in cause in about 5 minutes he is cringing again,i have some serious decisions to make this weekend,i dont know if i can fiz this,and after what the vet said i just dont know.Will i always trust damien not to have a moment where i pet him a certain way and he doesnt bite or growl??The answer is no,to me this is something that will always be right beneath the surface................
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Quote:
when i let him out of crate in the morning
Why is he still in the crate at night?
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Senior Contributor

are we chasing tails again? There seems to be MUCH more to this story... did you ex ever strike Damien at all when he was little?
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:44 AM

Heidi, can you do me a favor and read "Bones would rain from the sky" by Suzanne Clothier. I've recommended this book to you before, so you might have already read it. It's a great book about communication with dogs. It adresses the issue of dogs that show signs of aggressivity towards their owners. It's a fantastic book. It might not fix your problem, but it might give you some insight on the situation!

I wish you all the luck in the world! I honestly don't think that you have to give that dog up! Especially not if you love him the way you do.
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Senior Contributor

No way,he was never hit,i can tell you one thing,when we went to look at the litter there were 2 left,the other one came right to me and sat on my lap,damien would not come to me,i called him over and over to come he wouldnt,but my fiance wanted him,so we picked him..Damien is sleeping in crate because i let him sleep with me and i sense he is trying to take over bed also,when he gets in bed he goes right to where i lay,i tell him to move,he wont,just stares at me,i have to grab collar and get him off bed,let me tell you this dog is like nothing i have ever seen,i am gonna get him his own bed for room,but before i do,i need to really know that this problem can be fixed with him,or does he need to be re-homed,i just dont know at this moment,my heart says no,he belongs with me,my gut says i cant provide the proper trainging my vet says he needs..........
Old June 25th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Honestly to me damien seems uncomfortable, worried,from 7 weeks old he got nothing but attention,love and all my time.............
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:12 PM

But Heidi, you can't go back and forth with the pup, it's just making the situation worse. If you do give him up, don't look back, don't go visiting him again - even if you can. You need to make a move and make it your final move. If you keep him keep him and don't review your decision but if you give him up, bring him to the GSD rescue place and don't go there ever again. This dog will not "bounce back" if he is kept on his toes about his position in your life all the time. After two days with the other dogs I'm sure he forgets about you (it's sad, but that's reality), but if you show up the 3rd day, he's going be be miserable and confused again.

Just make the best decision for your dog.
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Heidi - Damien is in a cage 16+ hours out of every 24??
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:39 PM
Senior Contributor

No he is at my friends house mon-fri while i am at work,i take him every morning and pick him up after work.I know this is it,and saying he will forget about me in three days actually makes me feel better,and i have already thought about all that,and no i cant go through that again,if i did take him i will not go visit,would be to heartbreaking for me,i just see all the good things i have taught him and think WHY did this have to happen,i just am ripped in two right now...
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:42 PM

Heidi, a couple questions. The GSD Recue lady? Will she foster him until she finds a forever home? Will she work with his aggression while in her care?

Heather
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:45 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Heidi keep him OUT of that crate!!!

I don't care if you got money for a dog bed or not. Let him sleep on the floor beside your bed. I suggested this to you before, get a blanket and put it on the floor by your bed. Put his leash on him and tell him to lay down...give him some attention maybe even a little treat. If he gets up on the bed you have access to the leash and you guide him to the blanket.
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Heidi, in past pictures I have seen your crate and there is a pillow or something in there. Take it out and put it beside your bed. End of story.... That is HIS blanket and HIS bed.

Heather
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Yes,she knows all about it,she knows my vet also..This lady takes no crap from her fosters,she said sat night is when her boyfriend comes over all other nights the dogs can sleep in her room or bed,but on sat. they know they cannnot and she has no problems witth them...She said she would take him no problem at all,she said whatever i want is fine with her,since that time when i was there and kodiak[gsd r dog] tried to bite her,she has had no other problems with him...My thing is this i am so stressed out,upset,depressed,and aggravated right now that i just cant live like this,i tried some other alpha things last night,nothing........I just cant keep looking at him i love him so much it breaks my heart when i am with him.I KNOW my dog like no one else does,and i know bottom line is gonna be him going to a different home,all signs point that way,i just have to get over my needs and get his taken care of, i know in the long run it is the right thing to do,but i just look at him and feel all the love i have for him and it rips my heart out............................................... .................................................. ...................
Old June 25th, 2004, 12:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Luba i will let him sleep in room,i know.........
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
i need to really know that this problem can be fixed with him,or does he need to be re-homed,i just dont know at this moment,my heart says no,he belongs with me,my gut says i cant provide the proper trainging my vet says he needs..........
HIEDI - PLEASE READ THE QUOTE ABOVE!!! your gut says that you can't provide the proper training that he needs!!! You said it yourself, it's right there, and no one said it for you!!! You need to stop being selfish and think about this dog for a change.

Damien can be trained. I don't think you're the person to do it. The aggression that he is showing is brought on by you. He doesn't see you as the leader and he is bossing you around everyday, and you let him. HE NEEDS A PROFESSIONAL TRAINER!!! Have you investigated classes for you guys to go to together - he would learn that you are the boss, not him...
This is going to get MUCH worse before it gets better. SEEK PROFESSIONAL HELP IMMEDIATELY, Damien is the only one that is surrfering from this. Because if you don't help the aggression will worsen to the point that he could have to be PST!! Think about him!!!
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I am thinking about him,do you really believe he will forget about me and move on??? That is a concern,if i know he will be fine,i can deal a little better with it...I also do believe he has outwitted me and i might be the wrong person for him....If i had the money needed for a good trainer i would,i do want what is best for him not me,i will be sad beyond belief,but i already told myself if i cant have him i dont want another dog,i will have to get a kitten to take his place,i want and need a pet.Someday i will get another gsd,that is a great breed,i just think damien had issues from the get go,should of known when we went and looked at him and he would not come to us....I know how it felt when i took him last time and the pain was unbeliveable,cant imagine that i will have to go through that again...........................
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Look, I will put this as simply and politely as I know how. As I see it, you have 3 options:

1. Get off your computer chair, stop looking at the dog and TRAIN it. Everyone here has given you good places to start and excellent resources.

2. Rehome this dog and LEAVE it there. Bouncing it in and out of homes is NOT good for any dog.

3. Put the dog to sleep.

This dog is a dogbite waiting to happen. We have been friendly and helpful and so far you have whined and cried. When your dog if 2 years old and has all the power of the police dog that they use to subdue some thug who shot his mother, you are going to have MAJOR problems that no amount of work is going to be able to overcome.
Old June 25th, 2004, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by heidiho
I am thinking about him,do you really believe he will forget about me and move on??? .......I know how it felt when i took him last time and the pain was unbeliveable,cant imagine that i will have to go through that again...........................
Okay Hiedi, now read that quote. There sure are alot of "me" and "I" in that for someone that is thinking about the dog. My dad had a dog, and I would only visit him once every couple of months and he remembered me until they day he passed away. You can say that it's all about Damien, but read what you wrote, it not!!! You've got to help both of you!!!