Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old October 30th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Introductions different than before

I'm noticing something different between the introduction of Kiska to Vlad and Oksana, and Vlad and Oksana's introduction.

I introduced Vlad and Oksana to each other when he was about 3 months old and she was about two. I had her in a small carrier in the living room when I brought her home and Vlad was jumping all over it. When I tried to get into the bedroom where I had her, Vlad all but flew past me to get at her. And when the time came to put them in a room together, he attacked her. There was a lot of screaming and hissing on Oksana's part. There were times when I had to get him away from her because I really thought he would kill her.

Now, please, those of you who are more experienced tell me why my current introduction is so different.

When I opened the screen to allow Kiska to go out, Vlad and Oksana just stood there. Hissed when she came close, and for a few short moments tentatively touched noses with her.

Kiska is on my lap sleeping. When I had Oksana on my lap, Vlad would jump up and attack her.

Is it because they are both used to each other as cats, so seeing another cat is no big deal? Was Vlad's problem with Oksana that he didn't know what the heck she was?

Is it because they are both a little older? Vlad is now going on 9 months old and Oksana 8. I'm just curious. when she's running around they just watch her. Now and then run towards her and smell her and swat at her to try and touch her.

I'm glad I've been able to allow her to run around when I'm here, because I think its giving them all a chance to get used to each other. It's just strange how these introductions have gone.
Old October 30th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Might be just a matter of different personalities... maybe Kiska gives a different "vibe" than Oksana or Vlad, the age difference would also make a big difference IMO. Any which way, I hope they all become good friends
and love for my "lost ones" - Misery, Clover & the girls (chickens)
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:04 PM

is the new kitty male or female.. could it be the gender issue? and why it is not going how you want it too? i know my female cat is the dominate one and she is about 4 years younger then our male.. and is the one who has the issues with other animals in the house and gets the other one to react the same way IF she is around...
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:44 PM
Senior Contributor

From my experience it is that my cats figured out what another "cat" was and therefore acclimation was easier. Plus, maybe Vlad doesn't feel so threatened as he as Oksana as "backup".

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!
Old October 31st, 2007, 01:56 AM

Cats (& dogs) all give off vibes/scents emotions/phermones whatever you want to call it - the can sense when another (& other species too - like us) is scared/upset/territorial/sick.

Oksana has a strong personality not dominante to Vlad but he know she had a strong enough temperment to challenge him if she wanted.

Kiska has not been feeling well - they know that too. There is alot of compassion shown by animals to others who are sick.

IMO I think Vlad & Oksana know Kiska is not a hierarchy threat - she will not challenge them right now for the position of top cat. They are also testing to see what she will react to, what is she going to do when they:hiss @ her, ignore her, swat @ her - this will help to sort out pack hierarchy. Kiskas' recovery also will give them pause they know she is not completely healthy yet. Her silly kitten-ness also is probably very amusing to Vlad & Oksana having not seen any cat other than each other play like that - even when a cat looks in the mirror they think it is another cat & sometimes will be either scared or fight the "kitty in the mirror". This is also something new for them they still are figuring out - why is this "intruder" kitten in my house - they have been together just them for several months so it is interesting to have someone new - a "new toy" to play with if you will

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:35 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I agree with Growler, they don't feel Kiska is a threat to their territory and therefore will leave her alone. They are probably thinking that she is just a hyper squirt who is totally silly .
Old October 31st, 2007, 07:29 AM
Senior Contributor

Ancientgirl,I am gone for a couple of weeks and you have another kittenplease direct me to where i can see pics
When I introduced Vinnie to Rocky and Chico,Chico hated him right off the bat and still does not like Vinnie(he likes Vinnie only if he's sleeping)but Rocky took to Vinnie right away,somewhat like a dad.
I was warned by my vet and even number is always better than 3,but like my 3,I am sure yours will be fine.
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:31 AM
Senior Contributor

Growler, what you said all makes sense. Thank you. She is very thin, and I figured they most likely don't see her as much of a threat. When they've hissed and gotten close to her she's just sat still. Yesterday Kiska was sitting on one of the kitty condo's, and Vlad jumped up and stood over her hissing and smelling her. She just sat there, that was interesting to observe. It looked to me like Vlad was telling her, he's boss, and she was just accepting it. We'll see. All I know is I'm glad its going well.

I felt so bad for Oksana that she was the one to get the wrath of Vlad in the beginning, but they were both still very little, and Vlad had only been with me a short time, so he probably felt like he really needed to tell her who's boss.

Vlad was my first, and I believe he's established himself as head honcho there, with Oksana coming in a close second. Kiska and Maks will figure things out and I think they will all get along great.

Chico, I posted some pictures in this section.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=45978

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=46001

I don't have any pictures of Maks because he's still being treated at the vets office for Scabies. But I'm told I may be able to bring him home this weekend.
Old October 31st, 2007, 09:56 AM
~Cat Servent~

Every intro I have ever done has been unique. The easiest ones I find are kittens, the other cats never seem to see them as a threat. Now intro-ing the big boys that was a chore! Smoke still hasn't stopped hissing at them and its been two years! (I have caught her snuggled near them when they are all asleep though.) And all of them needed Windy approval... as soon as she warms up to them the rest do too, as she is the boss.

And for you it'll be a whole new dynamic when your Maks comes home. (Oh and I loved when you called them the Fantastic Four... like little superhero kitties... too cute!)

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:08 AM
Senior Contributor

Yes, I think that's the big difference this time. Kiska is so much smaller than them, they probably think she's a bug or something LOL. Once I bring Maks home she'll have someone to actually play with. Right now she's running up to Vlad and Oksana, wanting to play but they just hiss at her.

I'm still keeping her separated during the day, while I'm gone. I feel more comfortable letting her roam while I'm home.

Last night I was even going to just allow her to sleep on the bed, but as soon as the lights went off, she started pawing at the comforter and my legs. After about 20 minutes, she just wouldn't settle down, so I had to put her in the carrier. I noticed that once I did have her in there Vlad and Oksana came on the bed.

I'm hoping they don't shy away from my bed when they see her there. I would feel bad if they stopped doing things they used to do because of the two new little ones.

I need to go and change my display there. I won't be able to get a picture of all four of them for a bit though.
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:23 AM
~Cat Servent~

LMAO... try getting a shot of six together!!!

You may find that their favorite spots will change once all four are together... it sometimes takes some time for them all to settle on where they get their special 'you' time... but they will. And the hissing is just to establish who was there first... so she knows although she is safe now because she isn't 100% yet... well that doesn't mean she won't go right to the bottom of the totem pole when she is. And I've always found that the boys seem to stick together (cause they play a little rougher) and the girls stick together when you have more than one of each. So it will be interesting to see how it all irons out over there at your house!

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old October 31st, 2007, 10:45 AM
Senior Contributor

I have a special place in my heart for Vlad. He was my first, and I just hope he doesn't think I'm trying to replace him every time I bring in a new kitty. I always want him to know he's the head honcho, and really hope he remains so. But even though they didn't jump in bed right away, Vlad did manage to find his way back to me during the middle of the night to get his special cuddles. I guess even though we all love them equally, there's always one special one.
Old October 31st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Ancientgirl,that's very true,although I certainly have had a lot of trouble with Rocky,he is and always will be my soul-mate
That does not mean,I don't love Chico and Vinnie,it's just a little different
Old October 31st, 2007, 06:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
I certainly have had a lot of trouble with Rocky,he is and always will be my soul-mate
That does not mean,I don't love Chico and Vinnie,it's just a little different
That's exactly how I feel!
Old October 31st, 2007, 08:50 PM
Senior Contributor

I have felt that way, too, when I've gotten another cat...worried the other will feel left out or something. Nope. I've been very lucky. I make sure I spend time with each of them and try not to make things any different in the way I interact with them.

Also, to let you know, when I adopted Ginkgo (who is now 2) Mochie my 14 year old wouldn't come on my bed when she was. I was devastated thinking it would stay that way. Nope. Slowly Mochie would come and soon enough she was sleeping on the bed just like normal. About 6 months later I adopted Smitty (who was 4 months and is now just over a year) and same thing. Mochie mostly hid downstairs until she realized he wouldn't hurt her. When I adopted the kittens just a short time ago I expected it to be the same but it wasn't. Guess she just gave up and said to hell with it.

Of my 2 kittens (now about 5 1/2 months old) one got pretty brave around my GSD pretty quickly. The other, Kinsey, is still somewhat scared of him. If she is in a room and he walks in she runs and hide. Well, low and behold, last night I went in to my bedroom and she was sleeping on my bed. Dracko followed me (where else would he be but stuck to my butt!) and Kinsey looked apprehensive but STAYED. I was so happy. I was hoping althought it will take her longer she would acclimate to him and it looks like it is happening.

From my experience with mixing cats, if the other cats are somewhat interesting and things are progressing, you'll be fine. It's when the older cat isn't interested at all in the new one/s and avoids them that is a problem. When I got Mochie 12 years ago I had 2 sibling cats who were about 10. They NEVER took to Mochie. They tolerated her and there really was no fighting but they wouldn't let her near them even after all that time! Mind you, those cats (who lived to be 17 & 18) hated my dog, too. They were Siamese and they do tend to be more tempermental.

Dracko (GSD) male - 2000 - 31/02/2011 RIP my boy
Mochie (Balinese X/feline) female - 1994 - 07/01/2010 RIP my sweetie
Ginkgo (Siamese X/feline) female - 6 years
Smitty (long-haired white/feline) male - 5 years
Teiya (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years
Kinsey (Ragdoll x/feline) female - 3 years

DON’T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!