Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old April 1st, 2005, 02:12 PM
Arf! Arf!

What kind of treats do you give your dog?

Just curious what kind of treats people give their dogs.

My dog will eat anything.

Once a month or so I'll give him a bit of peanut butter or jam. I was told to be careful of foods with sugar in them.

Once a week or so he'll have about 1 tsp of low fat cottage cheese.

Almost once a day he'll have either a carrot, lettuce, tomato, apple, or a bit of potato after he has finished his dinner. He goes nuts for strawberries or ice cubes too.

Not too crazy about dog biscuits though.

Is it ok for him to have fruits/vegetable treats on a daily basis for training?

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old April 1st, 2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Meatloaf and Chino loves ice cubes. They could eat a whole tray of them in no time. LOL You will just have water spots everywhere.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:27 PM

My doggies are allergic to chicken and corn and wheat. I give them "Northern Biscuit" cookies. THey get the wheat free and corn free Lamb and Trout, the bison or the caribou cookies. THey like the caribou the best but I don't see a difference. I don't give them any fruits or veggies regularly but if I make potaotes or I have mango, they get some. They don't eat any other veggies really. They love any kind of meat but I don't cook meat that often and when I do, we don't share too often...
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:33 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor Jema and Boo mommy does not share that often with you. LOL Poor little doggies. Tell her to share with you.

Proud mommy to...
Meat Loaf (Brittany Spaniel) 13 months
CryBaby (5 years old)living with grandpa now
Chino (Doberman mix) 7 months old
2 new kittens (8 weeks old) Felix and Gizmo
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:48 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Ciara gets anything she wants, (all in moderation to maintain a trim figure)

She has her favorite cheese in the fridge at all times. Cottage cheese & yogurt. A large assortment of cookie treats on the nightstand. Sometimes liverwurst. I cooked a huge batch of chicken breast, peas, carrots, green beans & rice today, should last 4 days. AND.....I managed to sneak a few bananas in the house earlier, don't ask, I havn't a clue but it's right up there next to cheese on the fav list. Anyone who knows Rotti's also know they will still eat 3 months AFTER they expire.
I am spending my last weeks/months who knows with Ciara. Every day has been a gift. The rest will be priceless.

Thank You Anita & Peggy. I cannot begin to describe how comforting it is to hear your kind words. Again I am trying to compose myself as I type but it is not to be, I was going to post an update, this will have to wait until I can see the moniter again. (gets real blurry very fast)
Old April 1st, 2005, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princesss04
Poor Jema and Boo mommy does not share that often with you. LOL Poor little doggies. Tell her to share with you.
HEY!! their cookies cost a fortune!! It's like $5.75 for 300 grams!! They also get crazy expensive solid gold wolf king!! I share enough of my money!!! I'm SOOOO sarcastically OFFENDED!!!

By the way Karin, I'm so sorry for your baby troubles. I'm glad you have a bit of time with her though.

Last edited by Prin; April 1st, 2005 at 03:55 PM.
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:04 PM

See my list here for a list of food that can be harmful.

Tomato should be avoided, but LF cottage cheese is ok! Try not to give too much potato as it is very high in starch and can lead to weight gain. Other than that, your list sounds pretty good. I think I may come over for a snack!

According to the Humane Society of the United States:
There are an estimated 3-4 million dogs and cats euthanized each year in the US alone! PLEASE - spay and/or neuter your pets!
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:07 PM

After reading of the treats you all give your pets, I think I must very mean ... She occassionally gets a treat when I remember! She loves cheese, fruit juice, veggie juice, carrots, apples & at St. Lawrence Market the butchers there sell ginormous bones ~ which she has only under supervision. But she gets lots of cuddles even if she doesn't want them :love:
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:16 PM
Arf! Arf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinitie
See my list here for a list of food that can be harmful.

Tomato should be avoided, but LF cottage cheese is ok! Try not to give too much potato as it is very high in starch and can lead to weight gain. Other than that, your list sounds pretty good. I think I may come over for a snack!

Woah. Thanx for posting that list! My dog snarfed down a few raisins the other day. :sad: He's ok though.

So apples are ok if you cut out the seeds and core?

My Alaskan Malamute Puppy's Homepage: [url]http://members.fortunecity.com/maximus7[/url]
Old April 1st, 2005, 04:27 PM

Always cut out the seeds & core, just give chunks, slices, tiny bits.
Old April 1st, 2005, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

My Eskimo also loves Northern Biscuits cookies - his current favourites being the Caribou and the Turkey with Cranberry.

Prin, we have also had the Lamb with Laketrout and the Venison. But since the 19 lb. little devil open the GIANT HUGE bag of Fromm's Whitefish and Potato last week, he is on a "cookie diet". In short, he is rewarded with Whitefish kibble - wish it didn't smell quite so fishy. Although my pup isn't technically a "northern dog" I think his Teddy Bear face should be the new face of Northern Biscuits - you are right, they are not cheap - and boy does he somehow manage to get a lot of them. He also has a problem with corn and wheat - as do many Eskimos.
Old April 4th, 2005, 12:31 AM

Hey snowdancer, have you tried any others? I ask because I would like to know if your dog can tell the difference. My doggies LOVE the caribou ones but I swear they are all the same thing...
Old April 5th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi Prin, Actually, yes. My Eskie started off with the Caribou - lowest fat. When they sold out, he moved on to Venison. They were okay but preferred the Caribou. Then we tried the Chicken - hard as rocks - even Elmo had to hold in his mouth for a nano-second before he could chew it. I actually warmed them in the oven and then took them outside and hammered them. Apparently they are hard - it wasn't just my batch. So then the store had the Turkey/Cranberry in the sample jar - Elmo heads first to the Cookie Jar when he arrives - and he absolutely loved them. We did try the Lamb with Laketrout, but they were not his favourite. Actually, I didn't even notice the word "laketrout" on them until we got home. Maybe it was the fish smell we didn't care for. But now that we have the super giant bag of Fromm's Whitefish & Potato to go through compliments of Elmo's "tasting the bag", the Lamb & Lake smell pretty darned good. Elmo turned one Sat. and had his physical and shots today. His weight is perfect. So in celebration I bought him a bag of Turkey - the last one. He ran out a week ago and was on a "cookie free diet". The Caribou and Turkey seem to be this store's biggest sellers. I saw Vegetable at another store and Peanut Butter. Elmo loves Peanut Butter - but no way Smooth Operator. I am going to restrict the little Cookie Monster to 2 Turkey a day though - his output has been less which is good, and there is all of that Whitefish to go through. My little Dachshund could tell the difference as well - mainly with people food - would pick his favourite items from the fridge.
Old April 5th, 2005, 10:43 PM

I buy the laketrout with no wheat or corn because it's the cheapest of them all. There is only one store here that has the caribou, venison and bison ones and I'm going on Thurs to get my dog food so I'll stock up. My doggies only get the bison or caribou when they do something exceptional.
Old April 6th, 2005, 01:32 AM
banned user

Sorry for your troubles, Karin . It was a nice surprise, though, to see "Ocala" on the board (I used to live in Ft. Myers, had a friend in Ocala).

My dogs will do anything for cheese. They might as well just put signs on their backs: "Will work for cheese". In fact, I don't know a dog who doesn't love it. I think burglars should just bring cheese, in case there are any dogs in the house. They'll be friends forever.
Or bring a vaccuum. Won't even have to turn it on. The dogs won't bother them- they'll run for the hills! And, if the owners wake up, well, what will they charge you with- breaking and vaccuuming? "Hey, I was just going to vaccuum your house..."

But I digress.

Raj loves every cooked veggie I've ever put in front of her, except snow peas. Tonight she had water chesnuts, bamboo shoots and broccoli (yes, we had chinese food). She also loves pinapple, so when I order pizza for my son, we order half "Hawaiian", so Raj can have the warm pinapple chunks from it.
Old April 6th, 2005, 06:29 AM
<-----nut ball

Odin will do anything for cheese as well. When he is being a little picky about his food, I sprinkle a little parmesan on top and he loves it. He also loves veggies, like carrots and brocolli (which are my favs as well). yesterday it was carrot for me (with onion dip), carrot for odin without dip...
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:29 AM

Daisy loves cheese, broccoli, apples and peanut butter. I also make my own doggy liver treats.
Old April 6th, 2005, 07:31 AM
banned user

We give Yukon apples, carrots, cheese, PB and old mother hubbards chicken and oatmeal cookies. He also gets hotdogs occasionally in his kong.
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM

Dog treats

I give my dogs Nutro Max dog biscuits, and Puperoni. I had a terrible time finding treats that they would eat and also not make them vomit. They love Puperoni. They each get one every morning after doing their "doody".
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:36 PM

They also love apples, pears, carrots, brussel sprouts, p-nut butter and scrambled eggs. They have sensitive tummys, so I have to really watch what I give them.
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Rocky loves Pupperoni too! I like them cause there nice and soft so easy to break up when Im doing training with him so he doesn't eat too much!!! He pretty much likes all human food though!! doggy buscuits hes more fussy about!
Old May 14th, 2005, 10:03 PM

Both of my dogs will eat anythign that doesn't run faster then they do
I give them small bits of whatever food I'm dealing with at the time... carrots, cheese, chicken, popcorn.... whatever(they have to work for it though) . They only get a small taste (although they will sit for an hour 'catching' carrots if I'm willing to spit them ) They also love cheerios, peanut butter, bread, bagels..etc..etc.

LOL this kinda feels like I'm writing my weekly grocery list!
I make sure not to give them stuff that is toxic to them (onions, etc) only the good stuff, but, they eat it all! no problem with 2 VERYYYY food driven dogs around.
I do buy them their own biscuits (nutro brand) and of course Benny Bullies Liver treats for training.