Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old March 25th, 2002, 03:45 PM

Question Does my dog have Kennel Cough

I live in an Isolated part of the North and I have no regular Vet service in the area. I have adopted a stray dog and some problems with him. He has episodes where he sounds like he's choking and gags alot for no known reason. He has also vomitted a foamy yellow substance. I don't know how to help him and he's become very lazy. Many of the local people have told me to have him put down because whatever is the problem, all of the other dogs will catch.
Please help me save my dog.
Thanks
Old April 2nd, 2002, 08:43 AM

Here is some info on kennel cough.

hope it helps

fester

Hi there,
What is canine cough? what are the symtoms? can any natural products cure it and can it be contracted to humans?
Thanks Harland
Answer

Canine cough
What is a cough ?
A cough is a defence response of the respiratory system when irritated. All animals possessing a pulmonary system have the ability to react, thus an irritated larynx, trachea or lungs can provoke a cough in dogs. The cause of irritation can come from external stimuli such as pollutants, bacteria and virus in the air. Systemic reactions are also possible and these could involve allergens, presence of tumors or circulatory problems. As you can see a cough can be more than just "a cough".
Just in case Harland meant "kennel cough" when asking about canine cough....here's some extra information.
Kennel cough
Kennel cough or infectious tracheobronchitis is an inflammation of the respiratory system due to the presence of pathogenic virus and bacteria in the air. Transmission is trough direct inhalation of the virus and bacteria shed in the air by a coughing sick dog. Symptoms are a persistent cough that could lead to light tracheitis or a severe pneumonia.
The disease is not transmitted to humans but is highly contagious to dogs.
In standard veterinary medicine, antibiotics are sometimes used to prevent secondary bacterial infections Cough syrups are often also prescribed by the veterinarian.
In selecting useful homeopathic remedies, one should look for complexes that provide relief to the respiratory system and stimulate the immune defenses of the dog. These products could be obtained from various homeopathic companies such as: Boiron, Homeocan, Vetnat, Heel, Reckeweg and others.
Consult your veterinarian or your pharmacist.
Paul Guindon dmv
Clinique veterinaire Salaberry
Medecine conventionnelle et holystique
1895 Salaberry, Montreal, Qc