Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Other pet critters - Birds, fish, rabbits, reptiles, rodents and exotics > Birds

Old April 1st, 2008, 07:28 PM
Budgie Acholic

Weaning a very young budgie

Hello!
I have a question that i'm hoping someone will know the anwser to.
I have a month old budgie, whom freely flies aroung my appt when i'm home with my other 3 budgies (including Mom and Dad budgie). I've seen it eat on it's own for over a week now. This baby keeps crying for Daddy to feed all the time. I feel that now the baby should be on it's own, in a seperate cage, just that Mom and Dad go crazy in their cage when ever I try to seperate them. Mom and Dad then begin to hurt each other trying to escape out of the cage, so then usually after a few days of the shrilling i'll let them back out.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should or should'nt do to wean the baby??
Old April 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM

Leave baby with parents,they'll decide when to wean.Pulling a single baby is extremely stressful,even when you pull for handfeeding you don't do a single bird they don't usually do well.Budgies are very social little birds who live in large multi generational colonies so leaving a baby with parents is usually fine as long as they are not picking on him.Good luck with your family
Old April 2nd, 2008, 08:35 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree. My experience is only with finches but babies will cry for the parents to feed them even after they can eat independently. I've also seen this in wild birds. Let nature take its course, the baby won't starve, sooner or later his little brain will catch up to reality (you're on your own buddy). As long as the parents don't become aggressive. With finches, the male seems to lose patience with the squalling brat before the female
Old April 2nd, 2008, 09:40 PM
Budgie Acholic

Thanks for your suggestions! I thought that's what i should do, I was just worried at first with him being my 1st baby!