Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Cat health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:33 PM
Laval Zoo

Love4himies: Thank you, I'll definitely check that out

sugarcatmom: haha I could just imagine myself stalking Meowx0r. I will look for those strips at the pharmacy and I will check his urine every once in a while. I don't want this happening to any of them.. what a horrible thing he had to go through.

Marty: geez... that must have been very stressful. My whole life has been turned upside down in the past 3 days. Sleeping, eating and thinking has been very difficult and I'm sure I'm going to be finding some gray hair soon. This has been one of the toughest things in my life.. It's very encouraging to hear that your little kitty lived 19 years!!! WOW!!!!!

I had my visit with my baby today and it was great. He was meowing the whole time and rubbing against me and sitting in my lap (which he never really does!) and he was trying to head butt me for some loving but he had a bit of a hard time with his cone hehe.. I sat on the floor with him at the vet's office and just pet him and kissed him for about an hour

Here we are
Attached Images

Old February 9th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I am soo happy we have people like Sugarcatmom and L4H on our Forum,to feed the Royal Canin for the rest of his life is outrageousand dryhow can the vet suggest that,no way!!
Brat,he looks so sweet,any idea when he can come back home??
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:10 PM
Laval Zoo

Hi chico..

I know!! Everyone has been SO helpful. I really love this forum because everyone is so willing to help and we are all animal lovers so we know what we are feeling

The vet said that they did an ultrasound to see if there were any more crystals because there was still quite a bit of blood in his urine. They wanted to do that before removing the catheter so they did it and she told me there were very small traces left so they went ahead and removed the catheter.

Now, she said, it's a very critical time to see if he will pee on his own. If he can, they will monitor him for another 12 hours and I can pick him up...... TOMORROW!!!!! YAY!! They haven't called me at all so I'm hoping that's a good sign. I can't wait to have him back home.

I have a question about something the vet told me. She said that the type of food they are giving him will help dissolve any crystals remaining. Does the food actually do that?
Old February 9th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
I have a question about something the vet told me. She said that the type of food they are giving him will help dissolve any crystals remaining. Does the food actually do that?
Struvite crystals dissolve in acidic urine, so pet food manufacturers add an acidifier (DL-methionine) to their prescription "urinary health" diets in order to make these corn/wheat/rice filled foods (which would typically create alkaline urine) more likely to create acidic urine. Hey, here's a brilliant idea, why don't we NOT feed cats alkalizing plant products in the first place!! Then the artificial acidifier wouldn't be needed because the meat-based proteins naturally result in acidic urine in most cases. Pet food companies and vets have this all backwards.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Struvite crystals dissolve in acidic urine, so pet food manufacturers add an acidifier (DL-methionine) to their prescription "urinary health" diets in order to make these corn/wheat/rice filled foods (which would typically create alkaline urine) more likely to create acidic urine. Hey, here's a brilliant idea, why don't we NOT feed cats alkalizing plant products in the first place!! Then the artificial acidifier wouldn't be needed because the meat-based proteins naturally result in acidic urine in most cases. Pet food companies and vets have this all backwards.

Rose semi feral, a cpietra rescue, female tabby (approx 13 yrs)

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Sweet Pea RIP (2004?-2014)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

In a cat's eye, all things belong to cats.-English Proverb

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:13 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Looks like he has a wonderful mommy who loves him deeply.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

“While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions.” Stephen R. Covey
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Laval Zoo

oh gosh.... they DO have it all backwards it seems! And I would have thought vets would know better.

I get to pick my baby up today at 2pm!!!!! He's peeing and eating on his own and the vet said he's doing great. I'll have to watch him closely for the next few weeks to make sure he's going to pee on his own. The vet said this kind of stuff reoccurs 35% of the time within the first few days/weeks. :sad: I really hope not!

They want to give him antibiotics and she said valium to relax his penis. I thought antibiotics would only be prescribed when there is actually an infection.

I'm just so happy to be picking him up today. I can't wait to reunite him with his brothers. I'm gonna do it slowly so that I don't put any stress on him.

Thank you everyone for all of your help. I'm sure I will have many more questions and I hope you don't mind me asking
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:39 PM
~Cat Servent~

Glad to see you've already had lots of help! And glad to see he's coming home already! And he's a cutie, cone and all! As for re-occuring, my Bro & SIL's cat with crystals has been in twice and even had to have surgery so it does happen. I think the suggestions for a good wet or raw diet are probably the best way to go, I'm trying to get mine interested in wet here too. Best of luck and I hope he doesn't have any further problems !

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” -Mahatma Gandhi

"We're the renegades, we're the people; With our own philosophies; We change the course of history; Everyday people like you and me"- R A T M
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Laval Zoo

krdahmer, I'm so worried of it reocurring but I understand that it can so I will do my best to keep him as healthy as possible and keep a very close eye on him.

My baby is back home! The first day has been a little hectic. As I expected, his brothers are not very welcoming at the moment. Lots of hissing and growling going on so I've sort of kept Meowx0r confined to the bedroom with me. He was very happy to see his best friend, my Husky/German Shepherd dog. They grew up together. (the two in my avatar) and he was rubbing up against him and purring

I haven't really slept at ALL. I think the stress caught up to me and my body just kind of gave out. I have the worst back ache EVER. I can hardly walk so waking up and checking his pee in the litterbox every hour and giving him his pills at 6am has been really tough. I found some Robaxacet that expires next month (Woohoo!) so I popped two in hopes that I'll be able to function today.

I'm a little worried about him but I guess that's normal. I'm watching every move he makes. He's eating well (very healthy appetite). He's also peeing but I noticed I think he has a little trouble (maybe cause the catheter was in him for a while and his bladder became enlarged.) He pees, licks himself and then goes again. There is definitely urine coming out but I don't know how much urine is normal. Right now it's little twoney sized spots. The last one was actually a big one so I'm happy about that. I dab it with a small piece of tissue paper to see how bloody it is and it looks pretty diluted. There is still blood but not very much. He licks himself a lot in that area. I'm wondering if I should stop him although I don't think he'll really listen to me hehe..

I called the DMV to ask them some of these questions and reception said a doc would call me back so I'm waiting now.

Often times, he wants to follow me out of the bedroom so I leave the door open for him and he wanders around the house.

The pills that they gave me are making him a little sleepy (especially the Diazépam one which is essentially Valium as far as I know) so that's worrying me as well. I'm not sure how much sleeping is normal. There is only 2 days left of those pills and like I said, he does walk around, crave attention, he's definitely eating and peeing.. but I'm still so worried about him. He also hasn't pooped since I got him home at 3pm yesterday. I know he's eating, he's licking the bowl clean.. Also, he's hasn't drank yet. I'm giving him fresh water all the time and trying to entice him with it. Putting my finger in it, bringing it to his mouth but he's not interested. Is this because he's on the wet food now?

They also prescribed Clamavox which he needs to take for 2 weeks.

Right now he's curled up on my bed sleeping. I'm praying he's okay and not in pain. I didn't go to school yesterday night because I wanted to be with him and I think I may do the same tonight. I just want to make sure he's really stable before leaving him.
Old February 11th, 2009, 10:55 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am glad he is back home. A stressful time is never a good time to do a food change unless it is absolutely imperative to do so. But definitely get him on a quality canned diet to minimize the chances of this happening again.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old February 12th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Laval Zoo

update!

So I'm keeping a very close eye on Meowx0r. He IS peeing although sometimes small amounts and there is still blood in his urine.

I noticed he was leaking bloody urine everywhere he walked so when he sat down, I rolled him over and looked at his penis, it was just leaking urine.. I'm guessing that's the muscle relaxant pills? I guess it's a good thing since he is definitely peeing.

I'm having a harder time giving him his pills. He gets really aggressive. I tried putting it his food too and it worked once but never again hehe. I got some pill pockets that I'll try tonight.

This morning we were completely unsuccessful at giving him the pills so we skipped it. I know this is probably not the right thing to do but I noticed that he is so much more alert. I opened the window for him, he sat there taking in some fresh air meowing and then came to rub up against me for 10 minutes and he was purring so loudly. Him and his brothers are finally somewhat getting along. No more hissing and growling woohoo!

I really don't like that the Diazepam knocks him out cold. I can never know if he's getting better or worse and that freaks me out.

His appetite kinda dwindled last night but I stalked him with the food bowl for long enough and he finally gave in and ate. I don't see him drinking at all which worries me so I've been adding water to his food and giving him a syringe filled with water.

I really hope he's getting better. I check his bladder once in a while and try my best not to make him uncomfortable. It doesn't seem to be hard and full so that's a good sign. I'll just keep doing what I can to assist him in recovering.
Old February 12th, 2009, 04:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Brat,if you dilute the pill in a little tiny bit of water and then add it to his food,but only a spoonful of food,so you can be sure he gets his meds,like I do with my Rocky,when finished that he gets the rest of his food,I have been doing that for more than a year now,twice/day.
Of course it helps that he has a good appetite which Meow might not have.

I only once a very long time ago had a cat with UTI,I was at that time very ignorant to kitty-problems and by the time I got him to the vet,it was too late to fix:sad:he had to be put down.
But things are different today than 35yrs ago and I'll never make that mistake again.
Old February 12th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Laval Zoo

Hi chico,

Thanks for the suggestion! I'm going to try that next time!

What I did tonight was crush the pills, add them in his food, I added water like I have been doing but I swear the little brat knew it was in there! He sniffed the bowl, walked away and started eating the exact same food out of the other kittys bowl!!! He's a smart little cookie.. unfortunately for me right now lol
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
Exactly!

In addition Urinary S/O has added sodium to increase the the cat's desire to drink. Too bad that it also causes high blood pressure!
Come Visit Us! http://myminizoo.wordpress.com
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brat View Post
update!

So I'm keeping a very close eye on Meowx0r. He IS peeing although sometimes small amounts and there is still blood in his urine.

I noticed he was leaking bloody urine everywhere he walked so when he sat down, I rolled him over and looked at his penis, it was just leaking urine.. I'm guessing that's the muscle relaxant pills? I guess it's a good thing since he is definitely peeing.

I'm having a harder time giving him his pills. He gets really aggressive. I tried putting it his food too and it worked once but never again hehe. I got some pill pockets that I'll try tonight.

This morning we were completely unsuccessful at giving him the pills so we skipped it. I know this is probably not the right thing to do but I noticed that he is so much more alert. I opened the window for him, he sat there taking in some fresh air meowing and then came to rub up against me for 10 minutes and he was purring so loudly. Him and his brothers are finally somewhat getting along. No more hissing and growling woohoo!

I really don't like that the Diazepam knocks him out cold. I can never know if he's getting better or worse and that freaks me out.

His appetite kinda dwindled last night but I stalked him with the food bowl for long enough and he finally gave in and ate. I don't see him drinking at all which worries me so I've been adding water to his food and giving him a syringe filled with water.

I really hope he's getting better. I check his bladder once in a while and try my best not to make him uncomfortable. It doesn't seem to be hard and full so that's a good sign. I'll just keep doing what I can to assist him in recovering.
I am going through the exact thing right now with my sisters cat so I hope I can be of some help. I'm studying to be a vet tech and her cat is at my school getting better. I had a lot of the same questions you did about the meds and treatment and I was able to ask my teachers ( all are vets)

THe bleeding and small pees are normal. The bladder and urethra have been under so much trauma that it'll take a while to get back to normal. You only have to really worry if he stops peeing altogether.

My sisters cat is also on Diazepan... and it does make them dopey but its important to stay on it as it helps keep the urethra from spasming closed.

Usually antibiotics are prescribed in cases such as these even if there isnt an infection to minimize the risk of an infection developing due to the introduction of the catheter.

Good job with keeping his water intake up... I have been mixing my sister's cats wet food with water and her's also on SQ fluids.

Good luck with your kitty!
Old February 12th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Laval Zoo

TulipRoxy Thank you so much! That makes me feel a lot better because it answered my questions. I will continue the diazepam because I know it's good for him, it's just hard to see him so knocked out. But I don't want him to get worse so I'll continue to give it. There are only 2 days worth of pills left though. How long should a cat normally be on it? Should I call the vet for a prescription refill?
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:36 PM

Your welcome! I would trust that the vet prescribed the diazepam for long enough. The vets and staff at the DMV are great.
Cassis was on it for about a week.
Old February 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM

Oh, I forgot to mention the constipation is a side effect of one of the drugs they use to anesthetize him when they flushed him out. Cassis had the same thing.
Old February 13th, 2009, 11:49 PM
Laval Zoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulipRoxy View Post
Your welcome! I would trust that the vet prescribed the diazepam for long enough. The vets and staff at the DMV are great.
Cassis was on it for about a week.
He had enough for 5 days and now I just gave him the last dosage. I wish I knew what signs to look for so that I knew he needed a longer prescription.

He is still eating, walking around somewhat but he likes to rest a lot of the time.

He is leaving big wet spots everywhere. It looks like he can't control the uring leaking out of him. Is this odd? He'll lie somewhere and within a few seconds sometimes I'll see a 3 inch pinkish wet spot. This causes him to lick himself a lot. It doesn't happen continuously though. Once in a while, his penis will just start dripping and what looks like spazzing on its own. Sometimes he'll be walking and there's a trail of drops behind him.

So I know he's definitely not having a problem urinating but I'm wondering if this is a whole other problem alltogether. Could it be the diazepam loosening up his urethra so much that it just leaks on its own? I'm going to be calling the vet tomorrow but I was just wondering if anyone has seen or heard about this and if I should be concerned. I'm scared that being off the diazepam now he might not be as loose and will have trouble peeing. AHHH!! don't you wish they could talk to you?! If he could just tell me everything he's feeling I wouldn't be so much of a nutjob lately!

Giving him his pills is still a nightmare hehe but we somehow manage. It takes about 30 minutes each time because he really puts up a fight with us. I sometimes just wanna cry when he doesn't like to cooperate. Especially at his 6am dosage when I've slept only about 15 minutes total hehe

I'm so happy that I have him back after such a crazy ordeal. I am almost certain that had my vet not suggested we bring him to the DMV for 24 hour supervised care, he wouldn't be with us right now. I kiss him all the time and I watch him for hours just totally in love with him and so happy to have him with us. I pray nothing like this ever happens again but I know I have to be realistic and right now I'm so thankful that I get to cuddle him and kiss him as much as I want.
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Have you tried the Pill Pockets? If the pill is too big and he still refuses to eat the Pill Pocket, perhaps cut the pill in half and give him two "PP treats".

When my cat had FLUTD he loved those PPs so much he didn't care what was in them, lol!

Meowy Meowers - Angus n' Finn - 5 yrs old
Barky Barker - Skylar - 4 yrs old??
Old February 14th, 2009, 10:22 AM
Laval Zoo

yup I tried the pill pockets. He ate the first one we gave him a few nights ago and now he just eats AROUND the pill or sometimes he won't eat it at all.
Old February 21st, 2009, 05:50 AM

Help me please

Hi I have an 4 yr old cat and there seems to be huge problem with him. He is usally grumpy but for the past week he is worse. I noticed that he is not peeing very well and always licking his pee pee.Some times he lets out this horrible meow and it seems like he is in so much pain.He tries to pee and just little drops come out last night I was looking at his pee pee and he started peeing like a new born baby would when the diaper was off. as he was doing this he was growling.Any other pets that we have come near joe he freaks and growles at them like I said he has always been grumpy but this time it is way worse. Please help me he is my baby.Oh one more thing he is the type of cat that comes to you when he wants love well for the past few days he is on my bed and when I go into the room he curls right up to me and his little ears are cold. Thank You Tammy
Old February 21st, 2009, 08:10 AM
Senior Contributor

tmatz8,No question in my mind,this little guy needs a vet asap,urinary problems can be very painful,don't wait until it becomes unbearable for him,please
Old February 27th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

Brat, how is your kitty doing?

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 13th, 2010, 08:31 AM
Laval Zoo

*sigh*.. I'm back in this thread and I really wish I didn't have to be.

Late last night we noticed a spray of blood on the face of our oven and a pool of blood below it. So now we're super worried and thinking "oh god please no, not again". I get into bed and Meowx0r joins me, sitting on my chest purring away and head-butting me. He slept next to me all night purring. Twice I heard him get up to go to the litter.. when he was done I went to see and noticed little spots of blood.

As we were preparing their food bowls a few minutes ago, we turned around and saw a small pool of blood on the kitchen floor. Not so dark in color, more yellow'ish than red and it has a little tiny dark spot in it. When I pick it up with some tissue it looks like a small blood clot (very thick that kinda rolls up into a ball on its own)

We just fed him and he scarfed down his food as usual and is now licking our other guys bowl clean.

Last year when he got sick we immediately switched them ALL to only wet food (Wellness). We even add a bit of water to their bowls. He lost a lot of weight and has been super healthy since.

I'm so scared.. I can't imagine having him go through the same ordeal as last year where he didn't wake up from the anesthesia and how we had to transfer him one night to the DMV because the vet was worried he wouldn't make it through the night.

I definitely want to bring him to vet today but I'm not so sure I want to go to the same vet as I did last year. (where he didn't wake up for some reason or another) I always worry that maybe they screwed up with something. (dosage, etc)

I already read and was told that re-occurences were common but I really prayed it would never happen especially since I thought we took all the right steps in changing his diet.

I have so many questions and honestly I trust some of the people on here more than I do the vets because well, I haven't had the greatest experiences yet and whenever I ask questions I don't seem to get clear answers.

What could the blood be? Is it possibly crystals making their way through the urethra? Is there an easy way to check for urine back up? (touching his belly and feeling his bladder?)

I know it's not what I should be thinking but I'm wondering if this'll pass since he's acting somewhat normal (except for spraying his pee and peeing on the floor) I'm just SO worried that the vet will take drastic measures and possibly make him worse. It's not about cost at all.. the money is no issue when it comes to my animals. I'm just really scared of people screwing things up.. I don't trust many people to do things right.

Can anyone suggest a vet in or around Montreal? Someone who I can talk to and get answers from when I go there?

Thanks once again for all your help.. I'm always happy that I have this forum to turn to in times like this.

My baby:

Old April 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Can't help with vet suggestions, Brat, but I just wanted to say how sorry I was that you're having problems again and to send along some and s.

That's a stunning shot of Meowx0r!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old April 13th, 2010, 09:39 AM
Rescue is my fav. breed

I am so sorry, Brat , I hope somebody has a suggestion for a good vet .

Does he ever seem stressed around the other kitties, that he may be holding his urine in for a long time?

Sending lots of your way.

BTW, your boy is beautiful.

Jasper RIP (2001-2018)
Puddles RIP (1996-2014)
Snowball RIP (1991-2005)

Old April 13th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Senior Contributor

Brat,I remember you and your kitty,hopefully someone from Montreal can help you with a good vet
I don't blame you for being cautious
Old April 14th, 2010, 03:25 AM

bump

Can any Montreal'ers recommend a good clinic?

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:29 AM

Where are you located in Montreal? I have heard good things about the Animal Health Clinic, in NDG. Or you may want to try a Holistic vet such as Dr. Haltretch, Dorval Vet Clinic. Good luck, and I'm sorry you're going through this again! Here is a link with some info and lots of homeopathic and naturopathic treatments. http://www.onlynaturalpet.com/Knowle...d=40&Keywords= You may also want to try a raw diet, there is one here that you just add the supplement to, I used to use it before I started making my own. www.felinefuture.com

Last edited by TulipRoxy; April 22nd, 2010 at 08:07 PM.