Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 7th, 2004, 10:29 AM

Wink What do you feed your dog?

Hi everyone:
I haven't posted since Aug. When my Wheaten Roxy was diagnosed with AIHA. Well we had to put her down, it was awful but I know she is in a better place, running and playing with friends.
We have since welcomed another Wheaten to our family, Scottie. He is a delight and I'm sure Roxy sent him. Since Roxy died of Cancer(AIHA secondary) we are concerned we feed Scottie right and have researched foods immensely! Our vet supported our research and suggested a few. We ended up putting him on Nutro Natural Choice Lamb and Rice. He is doing well on this and his poops are certainly less than what breeder had him on (ProPlan-adult) and we also put him on only healthy treats. Natural Balance Duck and Carrot and DogsownPantry treats. He loves these treats apple/carrot no wheat.
Anyway I was wondering What do you feed your dog and what breed do you have? Has anyone found a healthy treat out there? Anyone have a Wheaten?
Thank you look forward for your responses!!
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:52 AM

I'm sorry for your loss, but happy for your new addition!

I'm feeding my little fusspot a combination of Fromm Duck and Potato and Fromm Whitefish and Potato.

For canned treats, she eats Dick van Patten's canned food with no chicken. I think it's Lamb and Rice. It looks like stew!

Packaged treats are Nutro Lamb and Rice sticks, Nutro Lamb cookies and homemade muffins.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:05 AM
Shih Tzu Owner

We're currently feeding Ariel half Nutro Puppy Lamb and half Wellness puppy. We'll probably switch to all Wellness once the Nutro is all gone. Her poop is definitely a lot less than previous when we were feeding her IAMS.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

I feed my monster Kirkland Series Chicken and Rice and he loves northern Biscuits especially the turkey and cranberry how appropriate at thanksgiving. Kirkland is made by Diamond which is what I was feeding him but this is 25.00 less a bag you get it at costco and it comes in lamb and rice as well
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:50 AM
banned user

Sadness :-( on the loss of your dog.

We are feeding Nutro for older less active dogs, with weight control, & extra Glucosamine/Chondroitin, plus homemade stew with carrots, celery & root vegetables on the advice of our Vet./Homeopathic Vet. Roor ve. are supposed to help arthritis. The older (9yr.old) Akita gets suppliments of Yucca Root, White Willow Bark, cold pressed linseed oil, & codliver oil in the winter. All of this is for Arthritis. Molly the lab is still young, but get eaxtra Glus/Chond. in her food. We also give them a little cooked meat, fish, yoghurt, or eggs with their 2 daily meals.
Old October 7th, 2004, 11:57 AM

Glad to see this thread.
A while ago, I had asked you guys for advice on food. My toy poodle was on vegetarian kibble, but like you pretty much all said, seems to be allergic to other things but some meat (corn, etc).

I have tried her on Nutro Max Natural. It says chicken meal among some of the ingredients... is that a good brand food?

I couldn't get the duck/potato as they do not carry it here in Fredericton NB>

thanks again for all advice.

Elaine
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:47 PM

Yeh that was the same as us. Not sure what to feed. Well we really researched and the Wheatens have sensitive stomachs. Roxie(past) always vomited up anything different even milk bones, she didn't have the greatest coat but ok and her skin, nails were a little dry. But after all the research we realize that corn, wheat, soy products and by products, additives, preservatives are NOT good!! And we decided to start Scottie off on the right paw
The Natural Choice is Lamb(easy to digest) and Rice and the price isn't bad $39 for 33lb bag in our area(Windsor). And I figure the natural treats will supplement ie. vegies, flaxseed. The nice thing about the dogsownpantry treats is that they have variety for allergy prone dogs, ie. no wheat, soy, corn etc. I think they are based in Strathroy not sure but if interested just go to dogsownpantry.com prices aren't bad. And they even smell good to me
Old October 7th, 2004, 12:54 PM

oops sorry! GSD Diamond I was going to respond. Today I got coupons for the Nutro 10 bag frequent buyer and I saw the treats. So next I'll get some for Scottie. I didn't know they had them.
Thanks for the mention of Roxie we miss her like crazy!! She was mostly my dog and we were inseparable. I see her everywhere and was afraid at first to get a new pet so soon but he is GREAT!! We love him in a totally different way and he has helped me immensely through the sad times. Roxie will always be in my heart!! She was one of a kind like they all are I guess!!
Thanks Sue
Old October 7th, 2004, 01:18 PM

boy it's nice to hear of others feeding the Nutro. my vet was afraid it wouldn't be readily available but I found a pet shop in Lasalle who carries it.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 03:43 PM
Senior Contributor

When we first rescued Bear, we had him on Nutrience Large Breed Puppy food. About a month after he was on it, he alternately stopped using his back legs. After a visit to the vet, she recommended that his food be changed, (the Nutrience was making his bones grow faster than his tendons and muscles could handle) so we changed him to the highly recommended food that the vet suggested. Shortly thereafter, he began to get severe hot spots all over his neck and face. It was then determined that Bear was allergic to beef based foods. We tried him on several different food brands before ultimately finding that Walmart's Actrium Chunks is the only food he doesn't get hot spots with. And he loves it. Plus, it's about 5 bucks for 100 lbs of it.
Old October 23rd, 2004, 08:27 PM
banned user

Just started on Nutro Large Breed

Hannah was on a food recommended by the breeder,Pro Plan..but she just wasnt eating more than 11/2 cups per day and I was getting concerned. I was told she should be eating 2 1/2 per day.So today I switched her to Nutro Large breed and she gobbled it up..I really think that she wasnt getting enough nutrition with the other dog food

She was only pooping twice a day as well and I noticed she had gas(she farted alot)...Well after two meals of the Nutro..shes had two poops..so I think her system is working alot better.

Nutro isnt cheap,but I maintain that a good dog food,provides good health and alot less trips to the vet
Old October 23rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysts38
Hannah was on a food recommended by the breeder,Pro Plan..but she just wasnt eating more than 11/2 cups per day and I was getting concerned. I was told she should be eating 2 1/2 per day.So today I switched her to Nutro Large breed and she gobbled it up..I really think that she wasnt getting enough nutrition with the other dog food

She was only pooping twice a day as well and I noticed she had gas(she farted alot)...Well after two meals of the Nutro..shes had two poops..so I think her system is working alot better.
Nutro isnt cheap,but I maintain that a good dog food,provides good health and alot less trips to the vet

Blaze has been feed Nutro Natural Choice large bred puppy since I brought him home at 8 weeks. I believe it is a great food and you are right it is not cheap. BLaze eats as much as he wants as I have always free feed and only 16kg bag does us about 5 weeks. Yes he does eat people food too, fruit, veggies, cottage cheese loves feed. I asked our Vet about when to put Blaze on Nutro large bred adult and she thinks around 12 months no sooner then 11 months. Puppy food is designed for puppies now not like yrs ago when it was just puppy food for all puppies. Anyway I think they grow to fast and don't stay a puppy long enough why rush it to adulthood.
Old November 2nd, 2008, 12:17 PM

I have been looking for a new good food for my dogs and have been considering either Acana/Orijen or Taste of the Wild. Can anyone tell me if they have tried either of these and which is better for the dogs?
Old November 2nd, 2008, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Solid Gold: we actually brought this bag to the checkout... BUT I remembered to look at the cup intake... and again, this was 4-5 cups for Chocolate! uh-uh, no thanx.
I can't speak for the other brands, but the SG bag says to feed my dog 5 cups as well, and she was porking up on 2 1/2 cups! She now gets a little less than 2 cups and is at a good weight.

This has also been my experience with many other dog foods. The manufacturer tends to make a very high estimate.

I would guess if your dog is in the 50 - 60lb range and has an average metabolism 2 cups or so (3 at most) would be plenty.
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:09 AM
Investigative researcher

This thread is 4 years old--please see the new thread for amber 777's question.
Old November 6th, 2008, 03:09 AM
-

Here is the new thread....

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=57950