Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old March 1st, 2010, 02:44 AM

Question Training 2 Bengal Kittens

I don't know what else to do!
I have two regular domestic cats that are sooo good.
Whenever the domestic cats, Chloe and Zoe get into something they shouldn't or jump on the kitchen counters all I did was spray them with water with a mini water gun. It did not take them long to figure out where they are not a loud to go.

But these two new bengal kittens I got are brats! They keep jumping up on the kitchen counters. There's never anything on the counters for them to eat/drink/get into. I find them in the sinks usually. I tried the water gun, I tried clapping loudly and yelling at them hahaha.. they do run away as soon as they hear me walk into the kitchen... so they know they're not suppose to be on the counters ...
But they keep jumping on the counters

What would you do ????
Old March 1st, 2010, 06:59 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi

I know u can busy something called a scat mat I think it is called. You put it on the counter and when they jump up on it they'd get a little shot.

I use to put double sided tape on a plastic place mat and duct tape that to the counter. When the cats jumped up they'd get on the sticky tape and they wouldn't like it. They soon stop jumping up on it, plus they wouldn't get scared of me because I was yelling or shooting them with water.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old March 1st, 2010, 09:25 PM

Hmm.. double sided tape. Thanks I'll give it a try !
Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:05 AM
Doggie Wench

I would assume they're running away when you walk into the kitchen because they are afraid of your behavior, not because they know they're not allowed on the counters .

I know lots of ppl who've had success with double-sided tape. Not sure if this would work with cats but how about rolling out aluminum foil along the counters. It worked great as a deterrent for our dogs when we had the "no dogs allowed on the sofas" rule.
Old March 2nd, 2010, 01:01 AM

You know... you both might be right about why they run when they hear me walk into the kitchen. Possibly jumping off the counters because they are afraid of my behavior.
So I'm going to try the aluminum foil first because that is what I have right now!

Thank you for the suggestion!
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:46 AM
Catlover2

You might get more responses if this question had been posted in the thread "Cat Behaviour", rather than under "Dog and cat food".

Anyhoo, there is another product you might try: "SSSCAT" is an aerosal can that emits a spray when motion is detected. Most pet stores carry it. http://cats.about.com/cs/behavior2/gr/scccat.htm I have used this with good success, and solves the problem of you being connected with a punishment.

Bengals, by nature, are lively cats and do like to be up high on things. A tall cat tree placed near a window, preferably south side to get the sun, is a necessity for this breed. Maybe you should have got Munchkin kittens instead?...they're the "Dachsunds" of the cat world---no jumping on tables or counters for them! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Munchkin_(cat)
Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Cats do not understand why you are yelling. They just know that your loud voice is scary so they run. I don't know why anyone would want cats who are afraid of them. From what I have read bengals are supposed to be a very intelligent cat. (I would hope so for the price paid for them) That being so it is going to take gentle consistency to train them. When you see them doing something undesirable like being on a counter you take them down gently. Every single time. If you must make a loud noise then do it quickly. One "no" stated firmly and consistently.
Here are some methods for training your cats. I'm sure with time and patience you will find the successful one.
http://cats.about.com/cs/behaviorali...er_surfing.htm
http://www.peteducation.com/article....+2174&aid=1063

Please do not use scat mats. I don't think any product that hurts an animal is worth it.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!