Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 18th, 2003, 01:56 AM

Unhappy Chance-Our new Dog

About a month ago, Me and my Boyfriend adopted a dog from the local animal shelter. He is 5 years old, neutered, and a mix between a golden retriever and samoyed. When we first borught him home he didn't go poop in the house, he would wait by the door for us to bring him out. Now he is constantly going poop in the house while we are gone and it is always a diarrhea consistency. In the beginning he would only do it when he locked himself in our room(and on our Bed), but now he does it all over the house. At first we thought it was because he was scared when he locked himself in our room, but now we shut our doors and he does it anywhere! I have no idea what is wrong!!! We have tryed switching foods(the pound said they used various donated foods) and we have shut all of our doors before we leave and we try not to scold him, because we are not sure if there is something wrong or if he is just mad at us. We have no idea what to do. Some one please Help me Out!!!!!
Old July 18th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh - definitely sounds like something medical, rather than behavioural! Especially if it's diarrhea...I think a visit to the vet, with a little poop sample so they can check for parasites, is definitely in order.
Old July 20th, 2003, 07:20 PM
Senior Contributor

While most dogs occasionally get diarrhea, ongoing diarrhea that lasts longer than 72 hours definitely warrants a vet visit!

Your dog is NOT doing this because he is "mad at you" and cannot control this and should not be scolded.

The cause could be anything from giardia to something much more serious, so please get your dog to the vet ASAP.