Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 10th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Question How to stop Dusty from licking us all the time!

As some may know, Dusty is the little fellow I found on the 20th of June. In so many ways, he's a delight and he's learning quickly considering he didn't even know 'sit' when I found him. He does have one very annoying habit and I don't know how to stop him. He likes to lick us...ALOT! Now, don't get me wrong, I have no problem with doggie kisses at all. However, Dusty follows us around, licking our legs, etc. In the grand scheme of things, this isn't a major training issue, but I really do need him to quit. I don't recall going through this with Jazz (had him from 7 weeks old) Is this an insecurity issue which might go away?? Does anyone have any ideas how to get him to stop??
Thanks!
Old July 10th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Senior Contributor - Expert

Could be a submissive act, could be obsessive-compulsive - could be that he just likes the taste of salt. Whatever the case you can correct it. First you need to teach the 'leave it' command and the 'quit' command. Remember to use the leash when you first teach these commands so that it empowers your word and if he respects you then your word should be enough.
As you see him approaching you with licking on his brain you say 'leave it' firmly before he even gets close with his tongue. If he has already made contact then you can use the 'quit' command and use your flat hand in either a fast waving motion between you and his tongue to discourage him or use your flat hand in a snappy-forward motion towards his nose to discourage him. These are forms of pressure that must impress him that you mean business. Do not simply push him away - that can become a game or it is just not enough energy to discourage him. Use just enough energy to impress him but not so much that you scare him and not so little that he ignores you.
Dog Training the Way Nature Intended
Old August 8th, 2005, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenderfoot
First you need to teach the 'leave it' command and the 'quit' command. Remember to use the leash when you first teach these commands so that it empowers your word and if he respects you then your word should be enough.
As you see him approaching you with licking on his brain you say 'leave it' firmly before he even gets close with his tongue. If he has already made contact then you can use the 'quit' command and use your flat hand in either a fast waving motion between you and his tongue to discourage him or use your flat hand in a snappy-forward motion towards his nose to discourage him. These are forms of pressure that must impress him that you mean business. Do not simply push him away - that can become a game or it is just not enough energy to discourage him. Use just enough energy to impress him but not so much that you scare him and not so little that he ignores you.
Hi - I came across this thread in a search about licking. Toby has started to lick us like crazy. He can spend 15 minutes just licking a leg, or a foot, or an elbow. He only stops when we move away.

Just so I understand...is the above a description of how to teach leave it and quit or to be used in conjunction with leave it or quit and licking?

If so, how does one go about teaching 'leave it' and 'quit'? Could you go over it slowly with me one more time?

Thanks a million!
Slurp!