Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old July 18th, 2006, 09:09 PM

Crate training is getting ALOT better with Valentine :)

Well just wanted to give an update on Valentine. She is doing very very well. Shes had a couple accidents the past few weeks but its because my hubby wasnt watching her. But that was his fault not hers. Also too, i think we've got her peein in her box under control. We did have her in the kitchen at night in her crate, so i moved her into our bedroom right beside my bed and we set the alarm clock for every 4 hours to let her out at night. We have the alarm set for 3am and again at 7am. And we have her on a schedule for those hours to be let out and its been working excellent. So far no accidents in her crate. YIPPIE!! I think alot of it was, when i went to bed at night hubby wasnt letting her out to potty for the hours that he was up all night on the computer and she had to pee somewhere, cause he wasnt letting her out. So now i MAKE hubby take her out when the alarm goes off cause he is usually up at or around 3, and he has to get up for work at 7 so he lets her back out when he gets up for work at 7. Im really really proud of her. Although, she still has the "occasional" accidents in the house cause sometimes we forget that shes outta her box and give her a little too much freedom and she pees in the house. But all in all shes doing very very good. She is doing really good with command training. She knows how to sit, shake, lay down, and put her head down, and she can sit pretty. Im right now trying to teach her to walk with me on the leash but she tries to take off without me and jerks me around, and i dont know how to teach her not to do that. How do i work with her to walk with me and not talk off and jerk me around????
Old July 18th, 2006, 09:14 PM

another thing i forgot to mention too. Since we've moved her into our bedroom, she whines alot, i mean all night long. I dont understand why. I know its not cause she has to potty, cause we have the alarm set to let her out. Why is she whinning so much at night???? I dont understand...I try to ignore it, but sometimes i have to kinda yell at her and tell her to hush, but she doesnt. How do i get her to stop crying at night in her box???

Oh another good thing too, she has done as well. We left the other day for an hour, and i left her outta her crate to see how she would do, well i had her on her leash and i chained it to the chair leg of my chair in the living room, and when we got home, there were NO ACCIDENTS, yeah, go valentine. she didnt potty in the house. Is this good?? How do i go about leaving her outta her box. Should she be 100% house broken before i can acutally leave for over an hour and trust her to not have any accidents. How do i go about that. I want to eventually have her to not be in a crate at all. When will she be able to be trusted to stay home for long periods without accidents??? Should i go little by little, but how do i go about it????
Old July 18th, 2006, 11:44 PM

If you can shut her in one room or at least close doors to rooms you don`t want her in, you could try leaving for an hour and gradually expand the time and the freedom she`s allowed if she proves she can handle it (no accidents or destruction while you`re gone). You will probably find theres a limit to the time you can trust her and there may be some rooms you want to always close off when you`re gone. My old dog would probably burst rather than potty in the house, but the younger one I`ve never left longer than the length of a school day a few times. I wouldn`t want to make them stay in longer than that anyway. They generally just sleep most of the time if they are in the house alone.

Are you planning on having her sleep in the crate forever or just until she`s reliably potty trained? She might chose to sleep there anyway, but unless you really want her to stay in, you could try closing your bedroom door to keep her in there and letting her out of the crate at night. That doesn`t mean you have to let her in your bed if you don`t want, but the whining would probably stop if you let her out. You still should let her out during the night as you have been, but she would probably see the bedroom as her den eventually and not do anything but sleep in there

Our Lola slept in a crate the first few months we had her, but she never really liked it. She grew out of her crate, so we took a chance to let her sleep in our room before we decided about getting a bigger one. She sleeps on the floor now mostly in our room and does fine. She did have a couple of accidents in the hallway at night but never in our room. I take her out late at night and DH gets up early and lets her out so she`s been good for quite awhile now (she is about 18 months).

It sounds like you are really doing well with Valentine. Good luck with everything.
Old July 19th, 2006, 05:02 AM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie00
well i had her on her leash and i chained it to the chair leg of my chair in the living room
Ummm, just to let you know this is not a good idea. You should never do this and leave your dog unsupervised because anything can happen, including the leash getting caught on something and strangling your pup. We don't even keep Jesse's collar on when we aren't home with her. You just never know what can happen.
Old July 19th, 2006, 02:18 PM

Jeannie, please don't ever, ever chain your pup to anything while you're gone. She could get herself wrapped around something and get strangled and I don't think you want to come home to a sight like that .

As far as giving Valentine more freedom, you need to do it little by little like Pamha suggested. Try leaving her alone, in a room for about an hour (a few times) and if there are no accidents...give her a little more freedom.

Good luck~

I looked at all the caged animals in the shelter...the cast-offs of human society. I saw in their eyes love and hope, fear and dread, sadness and betrayal. And I was angry. "God," I said, "this is terrible! Why don't you do something?" God was silent for a moment and then He spoke softly. "I have done something," He replied, "I created you." -The Animal's Savior, Copyright Jim Willis 1999
Old July 19th, 2006, 02:57 PM
cat slave

about leashing a dog unsupervised....I saw this puppy leased to this huge cement block in Quebec while his owner went shoping for groceries. He started barking and I went over to keep him company. He was leashed real far from the grocery store so I thought someone forgot about him. ANd the i*iot who leashed him put the leash in half and the pup was so hyper that he almost chocked himself walking aroung the concrete block.

So be careful. One woudl consider leashing a dog as a safe method for the dog, but it's not always so.
Old July 19th, 2006, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamha
If you can shut her in one room or at least close doors to rooms you don`t want her in, you could try leaving for an hour and gradually expand the time and the freedom she`s allowed if she proves she can handle it (no accidents or destruction while you`re gone). You will probably find theres a limit to the time you can trust her and there may be some rooms you want to always close off when you`re gone. My old dog would probably burst rather than potty in the house, but the younger one I`ve never left longer than the length of a school day a few times. I wouldn`t want to make them stay in longer than that anyway. They generally just sleep most of the time if they are in the house alone.

Are you planning on having her sleep in the crate forever or just until she`s reliably potty trained? She might chose to sleep there anyway, but unless you really want her to stay in, you could try closing your bedroom door to keep her in there and letting her out of the crate at night. That doesn`t mean you have to let her in your bed if you don`t want, but the whining would probably stop if you let her out. You still should let her out during the night as you have been, but she would probably see the bedroom as her den eventually and not do anything but sleep in there

Our Lola slept in a crate the first few months we had her, but she never really liked it. She grew out of her crate, so we took a chance to let her sleep in our room before we decided about getting a bigger one. She sleeps on the floor now mostly in our room and does fine. She did have a couple of accidents in the hallway at night but never in our room. I take her out late at night and DH gets up early and lets her out so she`s been good for quite awhile now (she is about 18 months).

It sounds like you are really doing well with Valentine. Good luck with everything.
No, i want her to eventually not have to sleep or be in a crate period. Were keeping her in the crate at night right now until shes 100% house broke. Ive wanted to leave her outta her box at night and let her sleep in my room, but like i said, she still has occasional accidents in the house, and i dont wanna start trusting her outta her box, until shes housebroken. And i plan on letting her out at night to potty from here on out like i have been to keep her on that routine. I just dont understand why she still has her occasional accidents. She is 7 months old and still pees in the house sometimes. Is it ever gonna stop???