Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior > Cat behavior forum - cat training

Old November 27th, 2009, 04:26 PM

Is it really soo hard for cats to share?!

Hey guys, please tell me if I'm being a PITA, or maybe I just shouldn't have pets, I can take it :sad:

Need to rant!

We have 2 purr pads cuz we have 2 male cats. Therefore, one for each. They are both fixed. Gizzy was fixed at 8 or 9 months.

Last year, I had blankets to provide a comfy spot for them to sleep on the long couch that seats 3 ppl. After a few days, Gizzy sprayed them even after I washed them to keep Forest off. Now we have the purr pads instead. They were kept on the white loveseat. I keep my computer out on the couch cuz we only have one desk and only room for one computer there. The purr pads were always getting stuck in the couch from my weight, so I moved them. One to each (cloth!) recliner. By the way, no spraying happened when they were side by side on the white loveseat.

Now, a few days later, I smell urine. It's not wet therefore someone sprayed and I'm willing to bet that it was Gizzy since Forest tends to beat on Gizzy. There are times when Gizzy will be sitting on the chair and Forest jumps up, starts licking his head and then proceeds to "play"/fight until Gizzy runs therefore surrendering the spot and Forest makes himself comfortable. Especially when there is a free recliner next to the table not 3 feet away. Lately, I've moved Forest to the other chair before any bothering can start.

My bf is starting to get frustrated and is almost at the "get rid of them" stage. I suggested a crate to keep them in when we can't watch them 24/7. I was thinking of getting them proper beds but this would probably happen again so what's the point? We usually have the soft-sided carriers out and they use them as hideaways as well, but no spraying in there ( yet!).

The purr pads are removed for now, although somehow they don't smell, I think Gizzy missed and got the recliner instead

So does anyone have any thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? At wits end!
Old November 27th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Catlover2

Cats can get along, though not always "share". Forest is dominant because he's older, came first, whatever. Cater to Forest's favourite place, by putting his purr pad there (whether it's the long couch or loveseat or whatever). Tell him "this is your spot" and make a fuss over him by giving him a head scratch/treat/"good boy!". Put Gizzy's purr pad on the loveseat or wherever he likes, but not on same piece of furniture as Forest's spot. Tell Gizzy same thing, and if Gizzy goes on Forest's purr pad, pick up him, say "No" and carry him to his own spot. Say "this is your spot" and make a fuss over him/treat, etc.
The idea is to keep them separated and you and your bf happy. For this to work, you and bf willl have to be consistent with this. Then Forest & Gizzy will know what is expected of them.

That's what I'd do, and no I don't think you're a Pain In the $$$.
Old November 28th, 2009, 02:00 AM

Thank you catlover2!! That sounds like great advice and it's just soo simple! but here I am to ask confusing questions about it

During the first few days, at times when we can't watch them should we take the purr pads away and then replace when we are there to watch? But if that is recommended should I make sure they get the one they were "assigned" in the first place?
Old November 28th, 2009, 03:59 PM
Catlover2

Ask all the questions you like....I'm all for simple solutions----sometimes they work, sometimes not! I should have added that to get them accustomed to know "their spot", always feed them their treats there. Say "go to your spot" and then give them a treat when they get on their purr pad. I would keep the purr pads in place, and always make sure they get their own pad as it has their scent on it. When you're not there to watch them, I would keep them separated. Hope this works out for you---give us an update
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:47 PM

That sounds good!

I will post pix if this isn't making sense lol

The only problem I'm having with trying to start this process is the way our furniture is set up. The 3 seater couch has 2 spots, in the creases, covered with aluminum foil cuz of some accidents. I have tried spraying nature's miracle and then the water + peroxide + vinegar mixture, but I still smell pee. Right now Gizzy is curled up next to the arm of the couch only a foot and a half away from the aluminum foil. So I guess that means I can put his purr pad there? Or if not, I have an old empty subwoofer box that I had in an old car, that is kinda like a 2 floor condo for cats. He is currently using that as his sleeping area when he wants to be hidden. There are blankets in there, no accidents/spraying in there cuz Forest doesn't go in there. And not like he can kick Gizzy out of it if he wanted too. Gizzy scratches the outside of the box where the carpet is attached to it.

As for seperating them when we can't watch them, we live in an open concept condo apartment. Our bedroom can be closed off with a door and we have a 2 piece bath that can be closed off as well. I was thinking of leaving Gizzy with free reign to the living/kitchen area and letting Forest have the bedroom. Each would have their own litter box so no accidents. This sounds like a perfect arrangement but I can't think of any cons. Can you?
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:24 AM
Catlover2

A mixture that other people on this forum have found that gets rid of the cat pee smell is:
1 cup water, 1/4 cup isopropyl rubbing alcohol, 1/4 cup white vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray area that smells, mop up, and then spray again and let dry.

I would put the purr pad on the couch where Gizzy likes to lie. Usually cats have their favouite spot, and as long as Forest isn't objecting to his being in that spot. I do think you will have to cater to Forest's preferences since he's older and dominant. The old subwoofer box sounds like a great place for Gizzy so you can use that too if you think it will make him happier.
I can't see any cons to the arrangement to separate them when you're not at home. Try it for a while and see if this arrangement works out better for you, the bf and the cats. Hope it does.