Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:16 AM

Struvite stones, SO diet and foot pads

All this time I thought my 7-yr old Golden, Annie had cut her foot, now I'm not so sure. She had a bladder full of struvites over 6 mos ago and has been on Royal Canin SO since. Two thumbnail-size remain. Many bladder infections and now we are trying Cipro prophylactly.She has hip dysplasia and on Rimadyl and glucosamine/chondroiton. Her pH is always high and is currently at 7. Distilled water does not bring it down. The diet causes her to gain weight and she is 121 lbs and should be 85. She was on Hills RD prior to struvites for her weight. My vet does not know what to feed her to allow weight loss and not cause more struvites in the process. Royal Canin says not to use SO more than 6 mos. Vet says stones are not completely dissolved. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place. I'm wondering if this is part of the foot problem that has just developed 3 weeks ago. I've been all over the Internet looking for information. All blood work is noncontributory and my vet thinks heredity may be a factor. I live in Tallahassee, Florida also known as "allergy capital" for humans and pets and we're in a severe drought currently. Any ideas? Thanks.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 12:29 PM

I had a dalmatian who also did this and it was severe allergies. The only dogfood she could eat was Eukanuba F/P (fish and potato) and I believe is only sold through vets. I also cooked her up rice, tuna and carrots. She was so bad she had to be on prednisone which unfortunately took a toll on the poor girl. I did decide in quality of her life over length of life and she had to be put to sleep last September at age 11. Hope this helps.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 01:42 PM

Seems to me that your dog may have allergies to grass or something else on your lawn? My friend has a collie that is allergic to grass and her feet are very itchy. Do you put any insecticides on your lawn? I would try and find a vet. dermatologist. Since your dog has had already many tests done that are inconclusive you should take the results to a vet. dermatologist and find out what your dog is allergic to. Maybe the vet could do allergy tests ! Itchy skin is a real torture for your dog. And it becomes a cycle of itching and scratching. As soon as new skin grows the itch begins again. I hope your dog will be more comfortable soon. Good luck.
Old June 23rd, 2007, 03:31 PM

Thumbs up Foot pad cut

Thanks for answering so soon. It's still kind of iffy as to whether or not Annie has an abrasion on her right hind foot pad or not, however her foot sure looks like the pictures you have put online. I never spray my yard, too many wild critters come to visit. I have entertained the idea of putting a shallow pan of water at the door that she has to step into before coming into the house. I can't put anything other than water into it as I have 2 kitties that could ingest it. Still it could be the start of some type of allergy. The rest of her is okay. I'm really open to diet ideas though. The special diets she has been on already cost me a fortune but she's worth it. Food recalls aren't always posted so after my purchase at the vet, I go online to the food manuf. site (Royal Canin) and if there is anything recalled, they will usually list it first with the lot numbers, even before the vet knows about it--speaking from experience.
Old August 8th, 2007, 07:54 PM

Smile An update on Annie

All of you have been so helpful in giving me directions in which to investigate. Annie has more than one problem, struvite stones and pad and leg chewing resulting in a lick granuloma. Finally got a urine culture and found out that her bladder infection is E. coli and only Bactrim or Macrobid will work. The Cipro and Clavamox she has been on has been for almost a year with numerous infections was all for nothing. She is now on Bactrim. My vet doesn't carry Macrobid and WalMart charges $150 (not on their $4 forumulary). There is a lot of evidence on the Internet to support that the actual infections cause the struvite stones and not so much diet. But a urinary diet will dissolve them because they are usually loaded with salt and fat to encourage thirst and thereby dilute the urine and dissolve the struvite stones. I went to a pet store and bought one of each holistic and organic canned food, and bag of dry, that I could find to see what she likes. In one week the hair started growing back on her legs, the licking has slowed down dramatically and the pad on her foot has healed. Even the lick granuloma has reduced in size. Nutrition does matter. Never again will I buy a commercial pet food for my dog. Now to get that weight off caused by the SO diet in a golden that has hip dysplasia--wish me luck! To think that all of this has resulted from one issue, a bladder infection, to stones, to excessive weight gain, to skin problems. I can only pray I'm not too late in getting her back to where she needs to be with the correct antibiotic and diet. I am grateful to all of you for sharing your experiences and knowledge. It was so very helpful to me in sending me in the right direction.
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:55 PM

other food options without fish?

Prin,
are there any holistic dog foods without fish that you can recommend? I am allergic to fish (i can't even touch it, one of my many allergies) my dog is very sensitive to chicken so i feed her lamb and rice now. she does well with that but she is having small outbreaks of hives on the top of her head. i was thinking, allergy to ragweed? since that is out now. but i want to look into feeding her better dog food to help with the hives if it is something she is eating.
thanks for any help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
Neither food is good, IMO, but definitely stop the HA. A lot of dogs are allergic to corn and/or soy, and HA has both. The LA isn't great either as the first ingredient is rice, and not even whole rice but a byproduct of rice.

Check out a few examples of more holistic allergy choices and compare the ingredients with yours:

Solid Gold Wolf King:
Ingredients:
Bison | Salmon Meal | Brown Rice | Millet | Cracked Pearled Barley | Oatmeal | Rice Bran | Canola Oil | Flaxseed Oil | Garlic | Amaranth | Blueberries | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Carotene | Choline Chloride | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Manganese Proteinate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Selenomethionine | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid

DVP Natural Balance Sweet Potato and fish:
Ingredients:
Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Menhaden Fish Meal, Canola Oil (preserved With Mixed Tocopherols And Citric Acid), Sweet Potato Fiber, Dl-methionine, L-lysine, Sodium Chloride, Salmon Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Rosemary Extract, Natural Flavor, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Vitamin E Supplement, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate, Manganese Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid.
(That one has more potato than fish though, not as good, IMO).

Timberwolf Organics Ocean Blue
Ingredients:
Low Ash White Fish Meal, Salmon, Potatoes, Sardine/Mackerel/Anchovy/Tuna Oils, Kelp, Alfalfa Leaf, Potassium Chloride, Carrot, Watercress, Spinach, Celery, Parsley, Fennel Seed, Blueberries, Cranberries, Pears, Figs, Thyme, Anise Seed, Ground Cinnamon Bark, Fenugreek, Garlic Pieces, Sunflower Seeds, Sesame Seeds, Apples, Taurine, Spirulina, Choline Chloride, Lecithin, Probiotics: (Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Lactobacillus Lactis, Bacillus Bifidum, Streptococcus Diacetilactis, Bacillus Subtillus), Taurine, Mixed Tocopherols (a source of vitamin E), Lysine, Zinc Proteinate, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Thiamine, Methionine, Carnitine, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Iodine Proteinate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine (a source of vitamin B6), Copper Proteinate, Selenium Proteinate, Cobalt Proteinate, Papain, Yucca Schidigera Extract.

Do you see the difference? And these foods probably won't cost you more than what you are paying for the special food from the vet.
Old December 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Hey there! I am a first time poster. I have been searching endlessly for help with my German Shepherd's incessant scratching and hair loss due to that scratching when I came across this site. I have really enjoyed the time I've spent reading all of your stories and truly feel for you and your pets.

To Sway- "sway has been seeing a dermatalogist for the past year,
environmental allergy testing was done and she was found to be allergic to over 20 different items...
he initially put her on ATOPICA, then she has been moved over time to a generic brand of CYCLOSPORINE, as that was cheaper for me (50mg every day)."

Even though I am new here I want to point out to you right away- esp since you have been hurting for sooo long- that sometimes you need to be on the BRAND name of a medication and not the generic. I know it is awful because of the price difference- but it is true. (I need to adjust at least one of my own medications because I can tell a dramatic difference between the two.) For you, I am referring to the Atopica vs Cyclosporine-- but as I have been typing I want to mention that I am going to try the brand name Benedryl again vs the generic the drug (which is anything diphenhydramine). It seemed that my Abby was improving at least a little on the Benedryl but we switched to the generic. Nothing has improved since the change and it actually seems worse. We had also changed to a chicken based food and I have seen from some of the posts that some dogs don't react well to chicken. We'll check out different food as soon as we get the chance to get the "real" Benedryl back into her system for a bit.

You did move in the winter and hadn't experienced fall or winter in the new environment either. I see that you've been there a long time now, but there's a possibility that something came about the first fall/winter season that affected your sweet Sway that was just unable to get out of the system. We moved this past October and although my Abby had issues a couple times before they are much worse now. Now we ask... is it the house, the stress, the food, the nature of the beast??

And lastly, DON'T LET PEOPLE SEE A VULNERABLE YOU. It can be a sad world of people selling products just because they want to make some money and it gets you a moment of hope. Don't seem desperate when you investigate and inquire. If you a get a 'salesperson' instead of a person with your dogs health improvement in mind, you'll keep spinning circles.
Old November 5th, 2008, 12:18 AM

I also have a dog that chews the pads on her feet. My dog is a soft coated wheaten terrier. I finally figured out, after having her for about 4 years, that she is allergic to chicken. When I switched her to Nutro lamb and rice, her funky brown goopy smelly ears cleared up. And she used to get really sick every couple of months or so. She would go outside and eat whole branches of heavenly bamboo and then throw it up, making these really loud retching sounds. It was awful. Anyway, the feed store I bought my dogfood from suddenly didn't have any more of the lamb and rice. So I tried another brand of lamb and rice. This is when she started chewing her feet. And I noticed her digging at her ears again. I went to another feed store and found the Nutro lamb and rice. It is too early to tell if it will solve the problem, but I sure hope it does. I just wanted to throw in the chicken allergy info.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 01:52 PM

I thought I was the only one

Im so happy although this is a sad situation to not be alone with this struggle. I have a two year old male dog that started to chew at the feet six months ago when I was newly pregnant. It happened a few times before but since has increased to a daily problem. I cannot leave my dog alone without a cone over his head as well. It seems to be anxiety but he also has IBD issues. He is a parvo survivor and also has many allergy issues. I am so frustrated and trying my hardest to manage his issues before I deliver. I am 36 weeks pregnant today and was given a wax to put on his paws yesterday. I thought his dermititis was the issue. Last night he didnt lick his paws once and I thought I found a cure. Today I put more on and he goes to town when I wasnt looking. Mornings are most difficult because of his stomach issues. I tested him yesterday with boiled chicken and he is not allergic so I am feeding him rice in the morning and chicken at night and switching his food to Taste of Wild with salmon oil on top next week to see if that starts to improve matters as well. He has a spot on his back of little bumps as an allergic reaction or purely stress related. I cannot afford to have the vet run all kinds of tests on him and try different meds with no gaurantee. I give him bendarly in the morning and at night. He is just gonna have to deal with the cone for now. I feel helpless and it sounds like the original post owner has the same issues. I hope she can find a cure that works to recommend so I can ask the vet directly without all kinds of tests. This is a sad situation and my dog deserves a better lifestyle.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 02:25 PM

OP, first thing I would do is get her off the crappy food your vet suggested, it's full of corn and fillers. How on earth is that supposed to be a good diet for a dog with possible allergies?

What I would actually do, is put her on a raw diet, get her off kibble entirely. Even with some of the high quality kibbles, and even with the high quality elimination type kibbles, you are dealing with dozens and dozens of ingredients! For all you know she could be allergic to one of the manufactured vitamin additives in kibble in which case switching protein formulas will have no effect. The only way you can know for sure what's going into your dog (and truly eliminate the possibility of food allergies) is to prepare the food yourself or purchase a pre made raw product with clearly defined ingredients. I would do this first, and keep her on raw for a minimum of 2 months before making any further decisions. She needs to be on the new diet long enough for her body to shed all remaining toxins left from the old ingredients before you even begin to notice the benefits of a new diet. I know plenty of dogs who have had all sorts of mysterious skin and coat problems, were on multiple medications, and had their issues completely resolved by going on raw. It's such a simple solution and with such good history of success, it is the first thing I would be doing.

Also a little some thing regarding allergy testing I recently found out. There was a dog in our raw group who was tested to be allergic to chicken, could not handle it in kibble form, but absolutely thrived on a diet based on raw chicken. Don't ask me what exactly that means, just throwing some food for thought out there.
Old April 1st, 2012, 12:33 AM

my dog mac has the same issue with his paws. he will sit there and lick them until the entire top of the pad hangs off and i have to clip it. i have taken him to the vet and they couldn't figure it out either. mac is about to be four and he has always had a corn allergy but nothing like this. i know a old dog woman who had me try something different. I give mac a injection once every month or so. the medication is called IVERMAX. administer about 1cc of the medication under the neck skin just like you would do for a normal routine vaccination shot. you can get this medication at any local farm and feed store like a co-op supply. this medication is usually for cattle and swine so dont mention it being for your dog. it seems to work for my boy mac. i am able to trust that he wont chew or lick when he has this shot. mac is 50lbs so i give him 1cc a month. adjust dose for certain weight of your animal.

i also firmly suggest the raw diet. when i can afford it i feed the natures variety chicken raw diet. 100% absorb able and a great diet for any dog. mac thinks its like candy for him
Old April 1st, 2012, 02:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loraeoliver View Post
Im so happy although this is a sad situation to not be alone with this struggle. I have a two year old male dog that started to chew at the feet six months ago when I was newly pregnant. It happened a few times before but since has increased to a daily problem. I cannot leave my dog alone without a cone over his head as well. It seems to be anxiety but he also has IBD issues. He is a parvo survivor and also has many allergy issues. I am so frustrated and trying my hardest to manage his issues before I deliver. I am 36 weeks pregnant today and was given a wax to put on his paws yesterday. I thought his dermititis was the issue. Last night he didnt lick his paws once and I thought I found a cure. Today I put more on and he goes to town when I wasnt looking. Mornings are most difficult because of his stomach issues. I tested him yesterday with boiled chicken and he is not allergic so I am feeding him rice in the morning and chicken at night and switching his food to Taste of Wild with salmon oil on top next week to see if that starts to improve matters as well. He has a spot on his back of little bumps as an allergic reaction or purely stress related. I cannot afford to have the vet run all kinds of tests on him and try different meds with no gaurantee. I give him bendarly in the morning and at night. He is just gonna have to deal with the cone for now. I feel helpless and it sounds like the original post owner has the same issues. I hope she can find a cure that works to recommend so I can ask the vet directly without all kinds of tests. This is a sad situation and my dog deserves a better lifestyle.
You might actually try a food that is completely different, like a fish based food, single protein, single carb source. Allergies may take up to a week to show up after a food has been fed (some allergies are delayed reactions), so your one day test might not actually work. There could be a problem with the chicken or the rice.

I'm actually a fan of a homecooked diet if it can be balanced, some dogs don't do well on raw, it's very individual.

I would also give a probiotic.
Old April 1st, 2012, 10:21 AM

This thread is 6 years old. Sway did not have allergies either, she had AIHA (autoimmune hemolytic anemia). Josh shared his years of fighting the disease and their final heartbreak when Sway passed away in 2009. Here is his blog: http://143sway.blogspot.ca/. Here's his first blog entry: http://143sway.blogspot.ca/2007/09/hi.html
Peewee - Jan '06 - 6.5 lb Chi (adopted May '09)
--------------------
Roxy - Feb '05 to May '20 AmStaff (adopted Jul '11)
Myka - Nov '98 to Jan '10 - APBT X
Lacy - Sep '92 to Jul '03 - Sheltie