Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old June 22nd, 2008, 12:56 PM

16year old dog, pooping out blood

I was walking my 16year old beagle/labrador cross dog, he stopped for a poop like normal, but when he got up there was no feces, just little puddles of blood. He is perfectly fine before this happened, walked fine, all normal. Hes a very heathly dog with no medical problems.

P.S - He isn't the best behaved and got into the garbage and some chicken bones, as soon as i heard him I got him out of it, but could the bones be doing this??
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Yes, the bones could be causing the blood--and if the intestine is perforated, that's big trouble. But inflammation, parasites, or even cancer could be causing the blood... Regardless, he needs to see a vet as soon as possible to determine the cause. If you can get a sample of the stool to bring in, too, that would save time.

Good luck with your boy and please keep us posted with what the vet finds!

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
Tamer of the Furgang

The bones could very well be doing this and I would take him to the vet to have him checked out.
Cooked bones are very brittle and can do serious damage to a dog's intestents. If a dog accidentally ingests cooked bone, giving sauerkraut and some oil can sometimes help "wrap' it and thus can help to prevent intestinal injuries.

Good luck ! I hope he'll be okay. :sad:
Old June 22nd, 2008, 01:55 PM

should he be in pain? he doesn't seem to be, he was just running around in the backyard fine, doesn't show any signs of pain
Old June 22nd, 2008, 02:30 PM
Senior Contributor

Even if he isn't in any pain, there could still be something serious going on. And animals are much braver than humans, they often don't show they're in pain until it is really severe, in which case it may be too late. I don't want to alarm you but blood is always cause for concern, particularly in such quantities. Please have him checked out.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:08 PM
Senior Contributor

16year old dog

Let's say YOU had this same medical problem, would you not make an appointment with your Doc? Since your dog has been your best friend for how long (16 years) perhaps you owe it to him to get it checked out.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:14 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Colon cancer can be painless in people--sometimes their first symptom is blood in the stool... "Painless" does not mean "harmless" If there is blood in the stool, it should always be checked out.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old June 22nd, 2008, 09:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Bloody diahrrea could also indicate Canine Hemmoraghic Gastrointeritis which can be fatal if not treated immediately. Den-Den had a bout of this when he was younger. A simple bloodtest can identify or rule it out. You should never hesitate to seek emergency care for bloody diahrrea.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 10:14 PM

Unfortunately our members are not vets and unable to address potentially serious health issues like this one. Time is critical - please contact a vet immediately. Good luck, we'll watch for an update on your pet's condition. In keeping with site policy, this thread will now be closed.
Closed Thread