Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 5th, 2008, 08:57 PM

Dog with blood in urine

I have an eight year old rat terrier exhibiting the following symptoms; frequent urination, blood in urine, minimal dribbling urine, increased thirst, lethargy, apparent pain upon urination. These symptoms started about 35 hours ago. I took her to the vet and they drew some blood and prescribed clavomax for bladder infection. They told me not to expect results until Tuesday at the earliest.
My concern is that she may have stones rather than an infection. Her temperature was not elevated and her urine is not 'mixed' with
blood. Rather, she manages a few drops of urine and then a few drops of blood. She also had an accident on the pillow she sleeps
on the day before this started. This is extremely abnormal for her. She hasn't has a house accident in years and much less in
the place where she sleeps. The content of the urine on her pillow was normal amount, color and smell.
The vet couldn't tell if her bladder was distended because she was so tense, but I don't feel anything rigid or abnormal in her pelvic region.
They drew some blood but I won't get results until Monday. They're xray machine is down and they could not take xrays to determine the presence of stones. Not to mention xrays would strain my budget.
According to her symptoms, does this sound more like a bladder infection or a blockage? I'm afraid that if the problem is not an infection, by the time we would have seen results from the treatment it will be too late.
I know there are prescription and OTC foods that can be used to prevent and break up blockage but would the results be too slow or
would this be a bad idea to try in conjunction with the antibiotics just in case?

Last edited by Oestaira; April 5th, 2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old April 5th, 2008, 10:55 PM

Female dogs are generally more likely to have infections rather than difficulty with stones because of the larger urethra where as male dogs are generally more likely to have difficulty passing stones because of the smaller opening however it is possible for either to get both.

Did the vet take a urine sample for urinalysis?

Sounds like a second opinion with a different vet is in order

keep us updated on how your baby is doing

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 5th, 2008, 11:47 PM

No urine sample was taken. Only blood.
There are few vets in the area that I trust. The other two well known ones I've had bad experience with. One that damaged my 14 year old dying cat's ear drums 'cleaning' her ears when I didn't ask them to clean her ears anyway. And another that really doesn't seem to care.
I'll look around though. Thank you.
Old April 6th, 2008, 02:45 AM

If there is anything suspected with the bladder and or kidneys a urinalysis should be done to check for protein, blood, crystals, and other levels not shown in blood samples.

Perhaps ask your vet why a urinalysis was not done and request one, this is your dog you have the right to ask for tests to be done.

The Spirit Lives As Long As Someone Who Lives Remembers You - Navaho Saying
Old April 6th, 2008, 06:02 PM

Oestaira

I also have a female Peekingese with bladder problems. She was treated for a bladder infection when blood was found in her urine. Two months later I have the same problem except there is a grainy substance in her urine. My Vet finally took a urine culture and found staph infection and the current antibotic she was taking.... it was resistant too. So he changed meds. Got her cleared up and in about 3 weeks it was back again blood and grain. Staph infection AGAIN. I don't think I would be having such a difficult time getting rid of this had it been diagnosis right the first time. Everytime the staph comes back it is resistent to more drugs. I would consider getting a culture done. I am afraid of losing my 3 year old Peekingese.
Old April 7th, 2008, 10:38 AM

Ok, giving you guys an update. Took Pepsi back to the vet and told them her symptoms. They felt again to see if her bladder is distended; it's not. According to the vet, even though she's only getting out a few drops, she's obviously going frequently enough to empty her bladder, or is going at night when I can't see how much she's urinating.
I told them my concern about stones rather than a urinary infection and they gave me some Multistix with which to test her urine in the morning. If the pH balance is highly acidic or alkaline it's back to the vet for xrays. They also gave me some Rimodyl to help her urinate more easily to use in conjunction with the Clavomax.
Her blood work was all normal and--according to the vet--the results are what they would expect from a 2-3 year old dog rather than an 8 year old dog. No fever, no other symptoms.
Right now we're crossing our fingers hoping it's just a bad urinary infection or, if it is stones, that they are acidic and therefor easier to treat. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old April 7th, 2008, 12:18 PM
-

Did you ask the vet about getting a urinalysis and urine culture done?
Old April 7th, 2008, 03:05 PM

Arrow Re: dog UIs

Hi!
Sorry to hear about your little one. My Scarlet (search recent "Bulli's Urinary Infections" in this forum for details) was mistreated several times by her last vet. No car = no choice. Insist on x-rays (stones/crystals) & urine analysis. Not done for Scarlet so reoccured. Now with holistic vet. Lucky that he is also 1 of the contributors/creators of this site. Search "cystivet" (1 post) for Dr. Guindon's response to another sufferer. He prescribed Cystivet for Scarlet too. I don't know where you are but the U.S. has more extensive resources than Canada .

Boiron & Homeodel are widely available in Canadian pharmacies or online.

www.dogpile.com

for any searches, like "American Homeopathic Vets"?. I don't remember the exact Association name.

Google, Yahoo, & Ask SIMULTANEOUSLY!!! + suggestions - no probs/spam in my 2 yrs. of searching w/ it = reliable.

Best of luck
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Dog with blood in urine Oestaira

That's how my little Babs started out. Only showing protein and blood in urine and frequent urination. Blood tests showed everything was OK there. Little did we know she had staph infection until the second time and it was 10 times worse. And now we are on our 3rd episode, we too thought there could be stones. My Vet put her in a light sleep to take xrays, (an xray is the only way to be sure there are no stones, and they have to lay perfectly still.) Urine cultures in my area are $28.00. All they need is a fresh urine sample. My Vet took my dog outside with a little bowl on a stick and caught some urine. If your dog has staph and it is not treated correctly he/she will end up like my dog, resistant to 75% of the drugs. I pray one of the 25% that's left will kill the staph before we have exhausted them all.
P S. This bladder problem of my precious little Babs has cost me over $600.00 so far and we are still fighting it.

Last edited by BettyBoop; April 8th, 2008 at 10:01 AM.
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:12 PM

yikes!

My 13 year old chi has the same symptoms (frequent urin, blood in urin sometimes, milky think discharge) and I was told it is a staph. she doesn'tseem to be doing well.
Here is a nw question for you. Is this the same staph that humans get and it contagious!? People die from this!
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM

Re: Blood in urine

Hey There,

I am really curious why your vet didn't take a urine sample and assumed infection. As everyone else has mentioned, there are many other things this could be. Someone had mentioned crystals in the urine... This is really easily looked at by a tech, just a simple stain. Does your dog act at all painful on urination, or is it just a few drops here and there, with blood alternating?

You really need to go back to the vet and insist on a urine culture. If this comes up negative, you'll know whether or not the Clavamox is even worth administering. You will also know whether or not an x-ray is necessary. I don't like to hear of antibiotics and NSAIDS (Rimadyl) being given without a good diagnosis first... However, I've seen it happen way too much in the veterinary field. If you went to your doctor and were urinating blood, I HIGHLY doubt they would just throw antibiotics and Tylenol at you. They'd run further tests to see what was up.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

-Chris
Old July 4th, 2008, 07:46 PM

Forgot

Hello again,

One thing I forgot to mention... I am glad to hear that your vet decided to run bloodwork. I'm assuming that the kidneys were checked, and their function is good?
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:13 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstenk View Post
My 13 year old chi has the same symptoms (frequent urin, blood in urin sometimes, milky think discharge) and I was told it is a staph. she doesn'tseem to be doing well.
Here is a nw question for you. Is this the same staph that humans get and it contagious!? People die from this!
There are many types of Staph...and each type can have more or less virulent strains. Many Staph germs are normally found on the skin and in the body and don't become a problem. But occasionally one will get where it shouldn't be and an infection results. Staph is not an uncommon cause of bladder infection.

However, as long as you practice normal hand-washing, you aren't likely to catch this staph from your dog.

Did your vet culture the urine? Some organisms may be resistent to the usual drugs prescribed. If your dog is not doing well on the antibiotic your vet prescribed, have him culture the organism and do some sensitivity screens. He'll be able to pinpoint an effective antibiotic and help get your girl back on track.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:40 AM

Red face

Hi!

I hope things are improving. Scarlet hasn't changed on the holistic prescription but the conventional method (Novo-Lexin) again miracuously "fixed" her. After 3 yrs!!! of past vet incompetence our new/latest vet mentioned stones. Didn't know about Staph infections before this thread . Unfortunately I can't find a ride-share to the clinic. I've posted EVERYWHERE. I've had to postpone repeatedly until they won't let me reschedule :sad:. Even no response from our local dog run (where she may have contracted something. Another dog kept getting a bacterial infection from playing there). Marketplace last? week did a feature on Canadian vets & how they can charge whatever they want & prescribe whatever for the max profit at the expense of pet lovers.
Attached Images

Last edited by Praellwyn; July 5th, 2008 at 10:41 AM. Reason: attachment pix is where?
Old March 19th, 2011, 02:25 PM

We gave our 9 year old yellow lab 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in her food
and in 3 days the blood in her urine stopped completely. This condition was
going on for over a year and now gone with no vet bill.
Old March 19th, 2011, 02:33 PM
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe mudd View Post
We gave our 9 year old yellow lab 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda in her food
and in 3 days the blood in her urine stopped completely. This condition was
going on for over a year and now gone with no vet bill.
You should not give baking soda to a dog as it can cause an electrolyte imbalance.
Old March 19th, 2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe mudd View Post
This condition was going on for over a year and now gone with no vet bill.
Your dog should be seeing a vet on an annual basis for a regular check-up, and preventive health care such as vaccination, vaccine titers, heartworm prevention, deworming, etc. Exactly what is done at the appointment depends on your dog (age, breed, etc), your budget, and what diseases are prevalent in your area.
For anyone unwilling or unable to provide their dog with annual health care, any sign of serious or prolonged illness still warrants a doctor's appointment. It is important to have an emergency fund available for your dogs or your own unexpected needs, and if you undergo serious longterm financial hardship, you should also research the opportunities in your area for low-cost or subsidized vet care.
Urinary problems, both infectious and chemical, are often extremely painful - the time needed for treatment to take effect is long enough wait for your suffering pet. Both problems, if left untreated, can also lead to serious systemic illness and death.
Please, save your pennies, a dollar a day or even less, whatever you can spare, so that next time your dog is ill you are able to cover at least a minimal vet bill.