Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old July 30th, 2010, 07:46 AM

Exclamation weaning puppies

My 1 1/2 year old pit bull has weaned her 6 week old puppies but her teets are so full and starting to get hard. I've tried letting the puppies drink from her but she throws a fit. What can I do to help her?
Old July 30th, 2010, 08:03 AM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Have you spoken to your vet or breeding mentor yet? Those would be the best places to start. We are almost all pro s/n neuter on this board and have no experience with those issues.

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old July 30th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Senior Contributor

kia198200, what I do here if that happens is I take a hand towel and soak it in hot water, then wring it out and wait until it is warm, not hot enough to burn, (test it against your face)and drape it over the effected teats. You may need someone to hold your girl until she realises it will bring some relief. I keep doing that until the water in the bowl is too cool to be of use, but I also repeat that whole procedure a few times per day, until the teats are soft again. It doesn't take long. I don't let the pups drink off her if this has happened to the mother, and at that age they should be weaned totally anyway. Only telling you this in case you couldn't get her to your vet. Good luck. Oh, be gentle too, she would be very sore.
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Blue eyed funny farm

Dont let the pups drink from her, she may also have an infection called mastitis in which case the pups would be ingesting it.
Please have her seen by a vet.
Old July 30th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Senior Contributor

That's why I said not to let the pups drink, erykah1310, just in case, but the immediate problem IMO is to give her some relief and soften her teats. I've never had one go on to mastitis. I think good mothers, especially with demanding pups, go on producing milk but of course get fed up with biting, scratching puppies by that stage. If they refuse to feed them, this is what happens. kia198200 could try stripping a tiny bit of milk out manually once she's not so tight and sore and she/he would know if it looks normal. Wonder what size litter it is? It's okay to run to vets, but breeders do learn to take care of some things themselves.