Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 8th, 2011, 05:07 AM
Senior Contributor

37 chained dogs found in Montreal

37 dogs found chained, malnourished in Quebec
Activists find 37 malnourished dogs chained in wooded area outside Montreal
Reported by The Canadian Press
Posted Sunday, August 7, 2011 - 6:10pm

Change text size: + - LACHUTE, Que. - Animal rights advocates say they have found 37 malnourished dogs chained to trees on a property northwest of Montreal.

The Huskies were discovered Saturday in a wooded area near Lachute, Que. after the advocates received a tip about their condition.

Diane Gallant, a member of the group World Event to End Animal Cruelty, said the dogs were hungry and thirsty and appeared to have been chained up for a long time.

The Huskies ranged in age from eight months to 10 years, she said.

"I'm a dog lover," Gallant said Sunday. "I don't think a dog should spend its whole life chained to a tree with a five-foot chain...They are basically just sleeping in their poo and their pee."

Gallant said she spoke with the owner of the dogs, who lives nearby and appeared unable to properly care for them.

Quebec government spokeswoman Helene Sauvageau said the local SPCA is also working on the case.

Sophie Fournier, another animal rights activist who visited the site near Lachute, said they've found homes for seven dogs but about 30 still remain.

http://www.ckom.com/content/37-dogs-...urished-quebec

Their condition is not good, said Fournier, who runs Sophie's Dog Adoption in Montreal. "The majority of them are extremely skinny."

But the situation in Lachute points to a larger problem in Quebec, Gallant said.

Quebec has long been considered the puppy mill capital of North America, with an estimated 800 unregulated breeding operations in Montreal alone.

The province is in the process of introducing new animal welfare regulations designed to crack down on puppy and kitten mills in the province.

The rules would include minimum standards of care and cleanliness and norms for euthanizing unwanted pets.
Old August 8th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Senior Contributor

How sad is that. I hope someone is able to help these poor dogs.
Old August 8th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

My gosh........
Quebec is SO progressive on so many things - I so often feel proud to be a Quebecer and Montrealer.....but our animal cruelty laws are insanely archaic.
Newcomers FAQ - How do I post on this BB?
Pet facebook group
Check out the Pet podcast
Follow me on Twitter
Old August 9th, 2011, 08:13 PM
Slave to the Kitties

I read that they were from a dog sled company that went broke, the owner tied them there.
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:59 AM
Senior Contributor

http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...646/story.html

(man what a screw up)

MONTREAL - Thirty-seven huskies found chained to trees in Lachute northwest of Montreal over the weekend have been taken in, about 30 by the SPCA Laurentides-Labelle in Ste. Agathe des Monts.

After examination, the dogs are to be offered for adoption.

Caroline Ross, founder of Montreal’s Eleven Eleven Animal Rescue, said the dogs – which are between about one and 10 years of age – had been living tethered outdoors since September 2010.

Their owner, a dog trainer and behaviourist, was evicted from his home last month and has since been living in a tent in woods adjacent to his former home. According to one report which could not be independently confirmed, the man had taken responsibility for the huskies after a dogsledding company for which he had been working went out of business.

He and his wife have been camping out with about 50 additional dogs, said Ross. The owner’s wife is said to be a canine breeder who runs a blog on which she dispenses dog-training advice and advertises litters for sale.

“I don’t understand how these people are allowed to own over 80 dogs,” Ross said. “This is basically a homeless person operating a puppy mill.”

After meeting the dogs’ owner, Ross said that “he believes he’s taking good care of the dogs, and doesn’t realize he isn’t.”

The animal activist learned about the dogs through an online ad posted by the new tenant of the dog owner’s former residence. The woman was offering up the huskies for free and threatening to send them to Le Berger Blanc, a Montreal pound that has been under scrutiny this year for its policies on euthanizing animals.

The Eleven Eleven Animal Rescue and Sophie’s Dog Adoption decided to drive to Lachute and rescue the dogs. They originally believed the dogs had been abandoned and were shocked to find their owner on site.

An argument ensued. The Sûreté du Québec was called in to maintain the peace, said SQ spokesperson Daniel Thibodeau.

The owner eventually agreed to let the animal rights groups take seven dogs Saturday and, Ross said, come back the next day to take the rest of the huskies.

When the activists left Sunday with the latter dogs, the owner changed his mind. Police stopped the transfer and ordered the return of the animals.

“It was frustrating to put the dogs back on their chain with no food or water, and puddles to sleep in because in had rained the previous day,” Ross said.

Thibodeau said the SQ would have seized the animals if it considered them in any danger.

Operators of the Ste. Agathe SPCA didn’t return several phone calls Tuesday, but its website indicated it had taken about 30 huskies into its care.

klalancette@montrealgazette.com

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/life/...#ixzz1Ud9LgEiP
Old August 11th, 2011, 10:37 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

32 Huskies were surrendered in exchange = no charges. One had to be pts All 31 are being evaluated, vetted and sheltered at SPCALL If you could help in any way or donate ...

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...6632355&type=1

So much more to this story, wish the Gazette would get facts STRAIGHT !

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montre...74pto.facebook
Old August 11th, 2011, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks GG for the information!!!
Old September 8th, 2011, 01:53 AM

Just wanted to correct the info - none of the dogs surrendered had to be PTS.
Old September 8th, 2011, 03:45 AM
Senior Contributor

on the news they said one was put down on the site so I suppose it wasn't surrendered.?