Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old April 16th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Cost of teeth cleaning

I'm curious as to what everybody else pays for teeth cleaning. Our dog had two small teeth extractions, plus cleaning, antibiotics five days before and five days after, pre cleaning blood tests and pain meds. for at home. The bill came to $445.00, plus a recheck in a week. Is that an average price, or too high? We've had it done before, and never paid this much, but I realize prices have gone up alot. Just curious what prices are everywhere else.
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Senior Contributor

That sounds about in line with what I've heard from several other people. Also sounds crazy to me though, with all the dogs I have I can't imagine having to pay that per dog. I check teeth on my dogs and will scale them myself if need be, but I've found that giving them bones to chew on has been keeping their teeth sparkling white so no scaling has been needed. I used to give the large smoked bones but have more recently switched to raw marrow bones with even better results. The cost of the bones is so minimal compared to what dental fees would be, plus the dogs get a treat so it works out great all around

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 17th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Ive never had any of my dogs teeth cleaned, but my friend just paid 350 to have her dogs done, they had to set him to sleep to do it, I just give them soup bones to gnaw on and when we go for our vet visits if there is a heavy piece of tartar that we can't remove the vet just does it there at no charge, just part of the check up like doing her nails and cleaning her ears.
Old April 17th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Senior Contributor

I actually think that is cheap,maybe cats teethcleaning and extractions cost more than dogs,but I paid almost $800 for cleaning+extracting one tooth in my cat Vinnie,the vet also removed a small growth on Vinnies belly.
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:43 AM
Senior Contributor

$200.00 for 5 extractions, and 7 days of antibiotics. Scaling and polishing.

There ain't no cure for stupid ...... but we should make sure we laugh and point it out to everyone else
Old April 17th, 2010, 06:15 PM

teeth cleaning

I saved up the $400+ for the past year for my female cat's teeth cleaning, then when I made the appt they said it would be that plus an addtl $200 per tooth extraction. Needless to say I couldn't do it. Today there was a new vet in the office and she said "she has a little gingivitis, but nothing to be concerned about right now. Bill today was $296 for a two cat office visit, Should have been a VET

Last edited by muddmutt; April 17th, 2010 at 11:15 PM. Reason: missed a word
Old April 17th, 2010, 08:52 PM

I'm glad I had it done, cause she must have been hurting if they had to pull two teeth, but, holy **** I wasn't expecting that much. I was going to have one of the cats done next, but he's gonna have to wait a couple of months now.
Old April 17th, 2010, 10:21 PM
150% PRO S/N
Starcastle Champion, V:force Champion, UFO Shoot Out Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, Mission To Mars Champion, Disc Dash Champion, Crazy Closet Champion, Railway Line Champion, Penguin Pass Champion

Why not try giving them a raw chicken back to chew on? The cats that is. Dogs can get the marrow bones or soup bones. Sammy has chewed on raw bones for a long time. Her teeth at almost 13 are so much better than Keesha's (16) who was never allowed bones. Of course she is a small dog. I was told their teeth always are worse anyway. (Just one vets' opinion I'm sure)

We can stick our heads in the sand for only so long before it starts choking us. Face it folks. The pet population is bad ALL OVER THE WORLD!
Old April 17th, 2010, 11:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail P View Post
I've found that giving them bones to chew on has been keeping their teeth sparkling white so no scaling has been needed. I used to give the large smoked bones but have more recently switched to raw marrow bones with even better results. The cost of the bones is so minimal compared to what dental fees would be, plus the dogs get a treat so it works out great all around
Gail, are the raw marrow bones like soup bones u get at the grocery store? And aren't u scared they will splinter and hurt the dogs?

We have never given Tegan, yellow lab, real bones, just nylabones. I give Mindy, shih tzu denta bones, but I don't know how they are working.

Debbie

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra_Queen View Post
Gail, are the raw marrow bones like soup bones u get at the grocery store? And aren't u scared they will splinter and hurt the dogs?
Debbie
They are the beef marrow bones meant for soup, I get the biggest ones I can find. It always seems that one of my local grocery stores has smaller ones and cuts them into smaller pieces than the other store, so I go to the store with the big ones. I've been thinking of talking to the butcher and asking if he can keep some even bigger ones for me, but the size I've been getting is fine too. I'm not a raw feeder other than the bones for treats, and when I first started using them I was cautious and kept a close eye on them but they've had no problems at all. Raw bones don't splinter like cooked ones would. Even the big smoked bones I used to buy didn't really splinter. Occasionally they might get a chip off the smoked bones that I would take away but that hasn't been happening with the raw ones. My dogs are real power chewers too, but they've been fine with the bones and their teeth are so clean. I always sort through what bones are available at the store and go for the biggest and thickest, making sure to avoid any that might have the potential to have smaller pieces break off or get stuck in the throat.

Not being a raw feeder, the thought of some of the bones raw-fed dogs consume is a little scary to me (chicken and turkey necks and backs, wings etc.), however I have friends who feed that kind of stuff and their dogs are perfectly fit and healthy and have no trouble eating it. Apparently as long as the bones are not cooked they are more flexible and won't splinter like cooked bones. One raw-feeding friend told me that if her dogs eat any bones that are too large to digest they will just vomit the bone back up. Personally I just stick with the large bones for chewing on and don't intend for my dogs to consume them.

If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion!

http://www.racingrescues.com
http://www.goodbyegoose.com
Old April 18th, 2010, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

WOW,I am really surprised how low the cost of teeth-cleaning,extraction is elsewheremaybe I live in the wrong province
My vet is otherwise very reasonable,for check-ups etc..
Old April 18th, 2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail P View Post
They are the beef marrow bones meant for soup, I get the biggest ones I can find. It always seems that one of my local grocery stores has smaller ones and cuts them into smaller pieces than the other store, so I go to the store with the big ones. I've been thinking of talking to the butcher and asking if he can keep some even bigger ones for me, but the size I've been getting is fine too. I'm not a raw feeder other than the bones for treats, and when I first started using them I was cautious and kept a close eye on them but they've had no problems at all. Raw bones don't splinter like cooked ones would. Even the big smoked bones I used to buy didn't really splinter. Occasionally they might get a chip off the smoked bones that I would take away but that hasn't been happening with the raw ones. My dogs are real power chewers too, but they've been fine with the bones and their teeth are so clean. I always sort through what bones are available at the store and go for the biggest and thickest, making sure to avoid any that might have the potential to have smaller pieces break off or get stuck in the throat.

Not being a raw feeder, the thought of some of the bones raw-fed dogs consume is a little scary to me (chicken and turkey necks and backs, wings etc.), however I have friends who feed that kind of stuff and their dogs are perfectly fit and healthy and have no trouble eating it. Apparently as long as the bones are not cooked they are more flexible and won't splinter like cooked bones. One raw-feeding friend told me that if her dogs eat any bones that are too large to digest they will just vomit the bone back up. Personally I just stick with the large bones for chewing on and don't intend for my dogs to consume them.
Thanks Gail. I'm too scared about the chicken necks and backs too. We only have one grocery store here, but I will have a talk to the butcher about big bones.

~Tegan 9 year old yellow lab~
~Wilbur 9 year old LH cat~
~Mirabelle 18 mos dsh~
~O'Shawnnessey 18 mos dsh~
~Darby 1 year old dsh~
~Mindy 7 yr old shih tzu~
~Dexter 10yr old Salmon (large goldfish)