Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old November 18th, 2004, 01:51 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

I think a Greyhound would be the perfect roommate for you. Not all sight hounds have the need for speed. Most Greyhounds are retired at 4 years of age, when the racing age has met it's limit. They still have many years left.
When I worked at the Humane Society we had two tracks nearby. Every year up to 500 dogs are retired and every year we could only place roughly 150 of these unwanted dogs. It broke my heart.
I know many people with sight hounds who trot their dogs while riding their bikes. A friend of mine even has a full size pool for her 6 Greyhounds and 20 acres with plenty of running room...
I know many people who also travel year round, living in their RV's with the dogs.

Please get a Greyhound....or two!
Old November 18th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Heidi, many, many dogs are home alone for 8 hours/day, including mine. Nothing the matter with that! The problem would be if its a pup. You won't have to be concerned, as I believe you are looking at an older dog. Don't jump into anything quickly, do research and talk to many people that own the breed and rescue them.

I believe you have learned by your past mistakes and hopefully this would be a forever home for some lucky dog. You just need to state to the rescue etc... that you are not home for 8 hours and to please match you with a very laid back, relaxed dog that is happy to chill on the couch for 8 hours, but ready to roll when you get home!

Good luck Heidi and please keep us updated.

Heather and her 3 Golden Girls
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Our last dog was home alone all day every day. I didn't like it, but he was better off there than dead. He was an adult when we got him, and there wasn't much of a problem.

An adult greyhound would be thrilled to be able to lounge around all day on soft beds, and get lots of attention at night! It'll be 1000% better than anything he/she has ever had before!
Old November 18th, 2004, 02:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I did let them know i work 8 hours a day,but after that i have all the time in the world,i dont go out all the time,i am a homebody......I just cant get over how perfect this breed sounds,ihave read a few places that a good 20 minute walk and they will veg on the couch the rest of the day and after what i saw last night of what happens to them this is the one for me...........................
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Senior Contributor

Is anyone else on this site against racing animals, for entertainment. Both my husband and I are 100% against horse and dog races, just because we think that it is cruel to have an animal that it;s only purpose is to race and win. Poor things.
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:03 PM
banned user

I love greyhounds! Our local mall has pretty frequent greyhound rescue days. They walk around the mall with them, all wearing coats, then back to the main part and they sleep on their big pillows... and they don't move, and they're so sweet! I am always so happy when we go to the mall and they're there. We always make it a point to circle a few times and stop by them for pets at every chance....
Hmmm, so will most greyhounds chase cats??
Good luck with this Heidi... they do sound perfect!
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I myself have always wanted a greyhound. I think they are really pretty, especially the siver one I seen about a month ago.
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Is anyone else on this site against racing animals
Yes, because of the extreme cruelty involved with dog racing it just breaks my heart. :sad:
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:10 PM
Senior Contributor

I am not a big fan of horse racing but the horses are treated way better than dogs are. I am totally against dog racing I think it is cruel and the way they are treated is horrible
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

I just can't stand seeing animals be raced. I think when an animal is purchased it should be purchased for the reason of companionship, and not for the reason of making the owner money. Animals are not gambling tools, the are compainions, our creators creatures.
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Senior Contributor

I am against racing dogs,i never realized how they retire them like that and treat thme like s***......just for people to gamble on....No i dont beleive in it either,i do not know how horses are treated but if it is like dogs then no..................................
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:21 PM
Senior Contributor

My mother-in-law has two horses and 2 or 3 burros, they are never ridden. She has them for companionship only, and to provide a safe haven, where they can enjoy a more "wild" setting. Plus the horses are a bit on the small side. They love the attention from their family, and they have still yet to warm up to me. I think that they are jelous that James is around me more. First time James brought me to see the one horse "Sport" he nudged me off the small hill I was standing on, and went right back to James. I think Sport thought that if I was gone, James would never leave him. Which he hasn't really.
I am perfectly fine with horse back ridding, but racing, I think is just cruel.
Old November 18th, 2004, 03:24 PM
Senior Contributor

I have never gone to horse races not big on that,i am against rodeos and team roping...............................
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Senior Contributor

That I agree with too.
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilith_rizel
Is anyone else on this site against racing animals, for entertainment. Both my husband and I are 100% against horse and dog races, just because we think that it is cruel to have an animal that it;s only purpose is to race and win. Poor things.
I'm not against the actual racing of the animals. I don't think there is anything cruel about that. I don't see the difference between that, or flyball, or agility, or any of the other sports involving animals. Some of the horses are treated very well. I don't know enough about greyhounds to have a real opinion. I am very much against the way they are often treated when they are retired, but I don't think this has anything to do with the sport, more the individuals involved with the sport.

As for the rodeo, I am against most of it. I've talked to people about the steer roping, and I've been told that a lot of the calves see it as a game. At first I found this hard to believe, but I look at the way Daisy and I play, and I suppose it's possible. Again, I don't know enough about it to have an opinion. You either hear from those involved who say that it isn't cruel, or those who really don't know any more than what they see on TV and say it is.

Bottom line--I'm for treating animals humanely, and anything that involves cruelty should be outlawed.
Old November 18th, 2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Contributor

I watched a program on Animal Planet about grey-hounds and there was one of many organizations who had adopted out 15.000 greyhounds over the years.
They are beautiful,mostly very good-natured,very loving.....a perfect pet for Heidi
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Senior Contributor

Chico from what i have read so far i think this dog was made for me,i think it is fate....................
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:27 PM
Senior Contributor

OK someone just said why would i want a dog that will take off the first chance it got????I should get a dog that wants to be with me..And he said they have the brain the size of a pea....I guess everyone has there opinions
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:32 PM
Senior Contributor

Who on earth would come with such a stupid comment????
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Senior Contributor

Some one with a brain the size of a pea
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

He thinks he knows everything,he is the guy that told me he could of helped me with my gsd........He is a car dealer need i say more,there always has to be someone negative and he is an avid gsd lover...................
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I've been told that a lot of the calves see it as a game.
You don't think that being hit hard enough to make them burst from the shute, roped, yanked off their feet, dragged by the neck and hogtied would be considered fun by the animal? If that is considered fun, I'd like to see the cowboys undergoing this treatment and ask them how enjoyable it was.

Fun for the guy doing no doubt, but a needless cruelty to the animals. There must be another way for these guys to prove they are macho studs without having to torment dumb animals to do it.

And greyhounds love to run of course, but I would much rather see them doing it for the pure pleasure of it, and not treated like commodities who are thrown in the garbage when the warrantee expires.
Old November 18th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Senior Contributor

SAME WITH HUNTING TO ME,when the deer has a gun then call it a sport...............
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

The lady from adopt a greyhound e mailed me back,i told her my living situation and she said i sound like the perfect mom for a greyhound,also said they can be left alone from 8 to 10 hours tops,she said they have lots of familys that have adopted greyhounds that work and they do fine
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:33 AM

with regards to walking on the l;ad they walk very well the ones i walked did. We use to donate and help at out local greyhound rescue in west yorkshire in england. They had a charitie event a fund raiser as they were broken into so they need to replace valuble items. Well on this fund raiser we walked a couple of the greyhounds and my eldest even had a go they were ver placid and according to the owners there they loved lying around.

Apparantely soft bedding old quilts etc is a good idea i used to donate all ours to them. Even in England they put coats on them in the cold and its not that cold in west yorkshire well not compared to here. Lovely dog though
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:38 AM
Senior Contributor

ANOTHER thing i was thinking they dont seem like very emotional dogs,do they wag there tails???I have never seen them do that....
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I guess the fear i have is i am gonna go from having a very aggressive dog to a very timid .shy dog....
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:51 AM
Senior Contributor

Heidi stop stressing you will be fine they are not an aggressive breed. They do have a high prey drive but that is not a problem since you will just work on that when you are training. Yes they do need coats even for when it is damp out they do not have a lot of bodyfat to keep them warm. They are shy but you can also work on that slowly.
Old November 19th, 2004, 11:56 AM
Senior Contributor

I know i am a stress case ......I am gonna try and go out there this weekend and see some of them and get a feel for them............
Old November 19th, 2004, 12:03 PM
Senior Contributor

All the greyhounds I have met were not shy, but took a bit to come around in the new surroundings.

Mine loved playing with stuffed toys, and were very affectionate and yes, wagged their tails a lot.

AZ has a wonderful greyhound rescue. You just need to go visit, and maybe offer to foster and that way you can find the perfect dog for you.